main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do you blame this poor Gungan for?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Learner, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Stupid Jar Jar! He gave emergency powers to the Sith! How stupid can you get?!"

"I don't blame Lucas for doing this, Jar Jar is the only stupid person to do this."

"Well done Jar Jar. Your going to feel suicidal after you realise what you did!"

I have read many accuring posts from people that blame Jar Jar Binks for the rise of the Empire when Palpatine recieves his emergency powers to defend the Republic. Now think about that for a few seconds. Jar Jar didn't know that Palpatine is actually the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, and either did anyone else. If not Jar Jar, then it would of been someone else who pleaded to the Senate. If not someone else, then Obi-Wan, Padme, Windu and all the people who are part of the Republic would of died. Jar Jar was doing the best intentions at the best time, the Separatists would of walked right through the Republic without the defence of the Clone army.

So my main question is this, how can some of you blame this poor Gungan? And why are some of you fixated on Jar Jar killing himself realising the future consequences of his actions?

2. GrandAdmiralZahn

GrandAdmiralZahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2001
    I dont blame him. Jarjar is a simple-minded moron. Perfect for duty in the senate.

3. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Someone mentioned this once.

`Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool that follows it?'

4. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Whats really unfortunate is Georgie Boy's current story telling. He made us suffer through Jar Jar in TPM just so he could set it up that he gets manipulated in AOTC. Was that necessary? no. If Jar Jar hadn't of suggested emergency power to create an army, someone else would have. Uncle Georges logic is faulty, does he really visualize the senators of the Republic trying to debate a Droid Army? They would have to muster an army when facing the possibility that the negotiations will probably fail. With an unopposed army the Sepratist would have no need to "negotiate", they could just take what they need. Surely there would have to be some senators that would realize this.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Jar Jar is a tragic character.

But also a moron. I mean, Mas Ammeda said "If only, senator Amidala was hers."
    in that freakin fake voice! Only a dumbass would fall for that!

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>Jar Jar is a tragic character.<<<

Kind of like Wiley Coyote. ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well, for those who believe Jar Jar is an idiot for voting Palpatine emergency powers, lets not forgot that he also saved the lives of Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme. Had the clones not arrived with the Jedi already there, they would be dead.

8. GrandAdmiralZahn

Oct 25, 2001
    Blah blah blah. Jarjar is still a moron. If he didnt suggest emergency powers you think GL would have killed off the main characters? uh...no. Someone else could have done it and gotten the same result without seeing jarjar again. God, gushers will say anything to pretend like jarjar is important.

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Please, refrain from making mass generalizations about "bashers" or "gushers".

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    God, gushers will say anything to pretend like jarjar is important

Is that any different than people who try to prove Jar Jar is not importaint. We are one and the same, just at opposite ends.

I was just trying to show that Jar Jar did both a good and bad cause, as somebody else would have had Jar Jar not voted.

11. GrandAdmiralZahn

Oct 25, 2001
    My point being that Jarjar is a moron. Some people like him for this very reason. Yet I have a hard time believing people who try to make jarjar a dynamic intelligent being pivotal to the stories outcome. The only reason that jarjar is there is GL(or his kids) likes jarjar, period.

My apologies for the Gusher slam :)

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The only reason Star Wars exists is because GL thought it was a good story, and wanted to share it with the public.

13. GrandAdmiralZahn

Oct 25, 2001
    What does that have to do with Jarjar? I miss the profoundness of this statement. Jarjar is there because GL wanted him there. Not because he is pivotal to any epic. Unless he wants to show that childlike innocense is no exuse for ignorance, then people take advantage of you. If this were the case, messages wear thin on me these days.

14. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    What's the point of Chewbacca? He didn't accomplish anything in the OT. It's the same thing. They are there because GL wants them to be. Do we really need an explination beyond that?

15. GrandAdmiralZahn

Oct 25, 2001
    I hope you are agreeing with my conclusion when you say exactly what I said. Or the fact that you are arguing the point means you didnt read the above posts. Either way, we are in agreement that Jarjar is there because GL wants him to be. BTW at least Chewbacca is useful. He can throw imperial stormtroopers aroundand fire a bowcaster with deadly acuracy, he is an excellent pilot, and one hell of a mechanic. Jarjar is a useless sac of protoplasm. No wait, protoplasm has more backbone than jarjar. :)
    Jarjar is the equivalent of C3PO.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    In my opinion it would make more sense for Sio Bibble to have Jar Jar's job or have bail vote jar jar emergency powers. ANd to all those who say he saved anakin and padme and obi's life. I say if they died palpy wouldn't be emperor, jedi would live and no vader. That's one reason I hate jar jar. I have many more.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I think JJ is sexy. :p

18. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    BTW at least Chewbacca is useful. He can throw imperial stormtroopers aroundand fire a bowcaster with deadly acuracy, he is an excellent pilot, and one hell of a mechanic. Jarjar is a useless sac of protoplasm.

In TPM:

1. Jar Jar enabled Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to discover a way to reach Theed while avoiding the droid army.

2. Jar Jar bumped into R2-D2 on board the Queen's ship while they attempted to escape the blockade, causing R2 to be delayed in reaching the surface of the ship a couple of seconds, which saved R2 from a blaster bolt that flew past him directly where he would have been getting off of the lift and heading toward the damaged shield generator. Jar Jar's causing the delay saved R2, and in turn, saved the ship and everyone on it.

3. Jar Jar's getting in trouble on Tatooine enabled Qui-Gon to have further contact with Anakin and thus discover his unique connection to the force.

4. Jar Jar bonded with Padmé/Amidala, which bridged the gap between the Gungans and the Naboo.

5. Jar Jar was able to help Amidala acquire an army to play a large part in her plan to recapture Theed.

6. During the Gungan army vs. droid army battle on the Naboo plains, Jar Jar took out three droids, one of which was a destroyer droid (which we're shown only Anakin in the Naboo fighter as the only other person to take one out) simply by being clumsy.

7. During the Gungan army vs. droid army battle on the Naboo plains, Jar Jar took out at least two droid tanks, one by releasing the large storage of boomers, which rolled down the hill, the other by accidentally dropping the small boomer after trying to catch it.

In AOTC:

1. As in TPM, Jar Jar enables the heroes to acquire an army which plays a vital part in saving the day.

Jar Jar Binks has far from done nothing important in the prequel movies. To me, the simple fact that he plays a large role in helping others acquire an entire army in the time of need screams that he's not useless.

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Smuggler pf Mos Espa- I hope I don't have nitemares because of that. There is a runor that is the upcoming comic republic 51 gungans are killed. I wonder who was behind that... [face_mischief]

20. GrandAdmiralZahn

Oct 25, 2001
    I still maintain that jarjar is a clumsy stupid character. Even if he causes anything to happen it is by pure happenstance. This makes him a lucky moron. Any damage he caused in a battle was a result of him running from the battle. This makes him a coward. And he is used to do something he never would have considered. This makes him a fool. Jarjar is less than epic in a movie that is far from epic.

21. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think one can't deny, Jar Jar is there for the kids. However, I reckon by the time Anakin turns into a Sith, the audience is supposed to miss Jar Jar, to note that while his innocence remains, Anakin's innocence is corrupted, causing mayhem to the Jedi order and the Fall of the Republic.

SW is for kids, regardless whether one thinks the OT was balanced better, more exciting, etc, etc. If anyone is young at heart, one could enjoy the PT's, maybe as much as the OT has touched you.

22. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Padme, obviously being the democracy loving person she is would never have given anyone emergency powers, nor would she do so for the creation of a clone army. Jar Jar, as representing Padme, should have understood that, probably did, and still presented the nomination to give the powers to Palpatine. That to me is why he is a moron.

However, if a mind trick was used on JJ, that would explain everything and make me feel sorry for him.

As for JJ's character...although I have a low view of his, that is not the point of this debate.

23. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    ANd to all those who say he saved anakin and padme and obi's life. I say if they died palpy wouldn't be emperor, jedi would live and no vader.

Palpatine would have become Emperor anyway. Jedi have been killed, so he tricks some other poor sap into giving emergency powers, and get Dooku to slaughter the Jedi instead. With Anakin dead, there's no Luke to save the galaxy, and no Vader to kill the Emperor at the pivotal moment.

If Anakin had died, the Emperor would still come to power, and this time there would be no one to stop him. Vader was the only one close enough to the Emperor and powerful enough to kill him.

Jar Jar may have started the Empire, but that was going to happen anyway. But he did save the galaxy in the process.

24. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think one would have to accept that even if Padme was in Jar Jar's place, she would have proposed to allow Palpatine Emergency Powers.

She herself realizes that the Separatist (although we know manipulated), were planning to overwhelm the Republic. Anakin even asks her "so you call this a diplomatic solution" where she drops all that efforts and goes for "aggressive negotiations". Her feelings are no more remorse for the Separatists. Diplomacy is out of question.

The main thing is that Palpatine has manipulated the situation enough for the Jedi to his bidding, as well.

Palpatine was already covering his anxiousness to get Obi Wan to protect Amidala "but I do senator...". That's why we see Yoda perturbed. Something is not right. But that's too late as we see.

25. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Any damage he caused in a battle was a result of him running from the battle. This makes him a coward.

So, Chewie and Han running from the Stormtroopers in ANH wasn't cowadice but Jar Jar running from a droid army when the order to retreat had been given was? (Oh, and for the record, the two battle droids and the destroyer droid Jar Jar took out when he got his foot caught in the wiring of the downed battle droid wasn't during his running at the end of the battle, so not all of the damage he did occured when he ran.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.