main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why do you hate EU?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kingpin, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Why can't you just follow George's lead and "ignore it" for the most part if the EU concept troubles you so much. I really didn't like TPM, but that doesn't mean I have a need to harp on it or it;s fans.

Edit: Nichos or Alion never said that Lucas wanted to kill Chewie off so they have nothing to retract.

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Shelley, Shelley, Shelley....I would rather miss out on the EU's version of SW. Because it isn't SW. It's some crappy ripoff of it.

You are talking about something GL created. He agreed to have the story continued.

The guy has so much money without the EU, that he did not want more for the sake of having more. He wanted his story continued.

3. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    As soon as you PPOR that Lucas wanted to kill off an OT character.

I never said he did, now did I? But you said he reluctantly approved of it. Where did you get reluctant from? Were you studying his facial expressions as he approved it? :)

4. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i hated TPM, but i dont go yeling it to everyone, if they ask my opinion i give it in a matter of fact way.

now just cause i hate Jar Jar, is that a good reason to hate all the movies?

5. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Not if you look at it from a different point of view.

Anakin Skywalker fulfilled the prophecy of the Chosen One when he killed Palpatine, thus bringing the Force back into balance. Resurrecting/cloning Palpatine undermines that.

One word for you: Republic. Aalya Secura and Quinlan Vos are hardly the most powerful prequel Jedi around, but that doesn't make their stories any less enjoyable. Neither of them fall under the category of Mary Stu or Gary Stu, yet their stories don't really include movie prequel characters.

That's why I find the prequel EU more tolerable than the post-ROTJ EU.

Yeah and I guess the Star Wars movies are non-fiction

No, they are the real story of SW, directly from the mind of the creator. The EU books are different authors' speculation on the story of SW.

6. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Many common fans and critcs feel the same way about the movies.

So what?

Forgive me as I reaim that statement at criticism of the EU.

7. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    You are talking about something GL created. He agreed to have the story continued.

He allows the EU to exist. He did not create it.

The guy has so much money without the EU, that he did not want more for the sake of having more.

No, he wanted more so he could support his company. He does not have billions of dollars, despite what people think. LFL makes enough money to get by. (His words.) The EU books provide a tidy profit, which he then funnels back into LFL so he can continue to make movies.

8. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Shelley....do you know what magazine I can find the interview in which you refer? Name and issue number! I would like to read it?

He ignores them, mostly. They don't do any harm in his mind because they exist outside his universe (his words); they're a parallel universe (his words again). He doesn't get too involved with them; he gives an idea here and there (he's been more involved with the prequel EU than the post-ROTJ EU) and rubber stamp approval.

9. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Many common fans and critcs feel the same way about the movies.

Yes, the fans make SW what it is.

10. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Neither of them fall under the category of Mary Stu or Gary Stu, yet their stories don't really include movie prequel characters.

Aayla is a prequel movie character, silly. :p

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    i hated TPM, but i dont go yeling it to everyone, if they ask my opinion i give it in a matter of fact way.

I'm not yelling at anyone. I gave my opinion on why I don't like the EU, as did a couple of other people, in a matter-of-fact way. If anyone "yelled," it was EU fans who jumped on us and demanded that we justify it.

12. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Anakin Skywalker fulfilled the prophecy of the Chosen One when he killed Palpatine, thus bringing the Force back into balance. Resurrecting/cloning Palpatine undermines that.

Yeah, but when Palpatine returned he was no longer the ruler of the Galaxy. Anakin Skywalker's sacrifice brought balance and allowed the NR to take control of the Galaxy again. I fail to see how Palpatine's return would undermine this unless he defeated the NR. Which he didn't.

No, they are the real story of SW, directly from the mind of the creator. The EU books are different authors' speculation on the story of SW.

Well I don't know about you, but I rather like the idea of a shared universe. It makes Star Wars feel like a big family.

Aayla is a prequel movie character, silly.

She started out as an EU character.

13. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    isent it funny how everyone thinks they know exactly what GL thinks? what his motives are? how they know everything and anything about the man?

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Here's an interesting point to mull over, though:

The non-filmic Babylon 5 stories, although many not written directly by the creator, J. Michael Straczynski, are nevertheless considered to be as canonical as any filmed tale. Fans discuss them with as much equanimity as the series episodes and movies, and consider them to "have happened" every bit as much as the filmed tales.

So, I guess what I'm asking y'all (and trying to steer this discussion into more philosophic waters) is, should what is considered to be "real" in a shared-media universe be left solely to the creator(s)/studio, or to both they and the fans? (Getting all Cartesian, now...)

15. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Shelley, GL is not as rich as we all think, ehh!

Wow, so the Forbes reports that estimate his worth in the billions.....enough money for his great-grandchildren to not have to work are false?

16. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Shelley....do you know what magazine I can find the interview in which you refer? Name and issue number! I would like to read it?

It's a couple of interviews, actually.

Here's the "parallel universe quote," which can be found at this URL: www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=34918

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There?s my world, which is the movies, and there?s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe ? the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don?t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don?t get too involved in the parallel universe."

The "outside my little universe" quote comes from a November, 2001 issue of TV Guide, which covered the televised premiere of TPM and promoted "Beneath the Dome."

17. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    Leto II i make a simmaler argument, if Star Trek hasent been writen by Gene Rodenbarry in the last 15 years , is it not 'true' Star Trek?

18. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Shelley, post the paragraph before that one please.

19. Nichos_Marr

Oct 26, 2001
    Shelley, why not post the whole parallel universe quote. Including the first paragraph that mentions EU sources are the only Star Wars stories that we're going to get after Episode III :)

Many seem to leave that part out.

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Shelley, GL is not as rich as we all think, ehh!

Wow, so the Forbes reports that estimate his worth in the billions.....enough money for his great-grandchildren do not have to work are false?

His company is worth billions. But he funnels almost all his profits back into his company.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    He also reiterated that there would be no third trilogy, despite what he said years ago about the whole story being a trilogy of trilogies. He said it was a joke, and THE ROLLING STONE printed the idea as fact. After EPISODE III, there will be only printed STAR WARS stories from now on.

So what?

22. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    His company is worth billions. But he funnels almost all his profits back into his company.

But he is the company, and the company is him. They are one and the same. It it called Lucasfilm Ltd. after all.

23. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    And then Lucas specifically said that they are a parallel universe, which "intrudes" on the time between the movies, though they don't intrude on his world.

24. SirLancelot

Jun 10, 2002
    "There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There?s my world, which is the movies, and there?s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe ? the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don?t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don?t get too involved in the parallel universe."

when he says that what do you think Shelley? that the only true Star Wars is his? that only what comes out of his mouth is true? or do you what to think about it in a different way? try to be objective rather then subjective.

maybe what GL wanted to say that the movies are his. they originated by him, and they are made by him. but in that he also wants to be more stories for people to read. but he only has the movies as his part. the books belong to someone else, and that is their story, which is in the universe that he started.

25. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I need a reason? Okay. Here's one of many:

The Yuzhan Vong are some of the lamest EU villains that I've ever seen. They're something out of an Aliens vs. Predator movie and don't fit into the SW universe at all. They would be better off in a Spawn comic book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.