why do you hate EU?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kingpin, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    i dont know about you, but if Han, Luke, and Leia did everything then i wouldent like the EU at all

I wouldn't want them to do everything...I would just like them to have bigger roles than cameos...which has been happening lately in the NJO.
  2. Binary_Sunset Force Ghost

star 5
    Why do I hate the EU?

Because it is yet another layer of government stealing the money and violating the liberties of Europeans.

...Oops, you meant the other EU. 8-}
  3. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    thats kind of the point of the EU, is to have them not be so big and have all the other people in the galaxy do stuff.

they all had big roles in many of the books anyway.

in Wraith Squadron, when Han Solo comes to visit Wedge, you see it form just a pilot and a mechanics point of view.

example:
    Cubber: Thats no YT-1300, thats the Mellenium Falcon.
    Kell: how can you tell?
    Cubber: Spent a year on Hoth staring at that rust bucket every day. congrats, now you can say to your kids, i saw the great Han Solo once, he never knew i existed
  4. Wesmin7 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Edit: (first post was boarderline flaming, in the heat of the moment stuff)

This is purely a EU sucks, no it does, yes it does, well your wrong because, no your wrong because, thread, and should be deleted right away

*looks around for a mod to contact to end this thread that should have been ending a long time ago*
  5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    thats kind of the point of the EU, is to have them not be so big and have all the other people in the galaxy do stuff.

I thought the point of the EU was to expand upon the events and characters from the movies...not new characters that come out of nowhere and automatically we are expected to care and enjoy them.
  6. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  7. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
    like i said, in the three big triligys, The Thrawn Triligy, The Jedi Acadamy Triligy, and The Dark Fleet Crisis, they all have prodominent roles.
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    This is purely a EU sucks, no it does, yes it does, well your wrong because, no your wrong because, thread, and should be deleted right away

Hmm...Wesmin has a point...

9. SirLancelot Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    first off imp_guard i doubt u can read and second i consider your argument as to y u hate the eu very poor u lack legitimate evidence proove what u r saying

Uh huh. Right. [face_plain]

This thread was entitled "why do you hate EU?" not the other way around and I would direct EU gushers who can't seem to understand the resentment to go back and carefully read DarthHolliday's summary of all the reasons for EU backlash. It really is a comprehensive list and I doubt that I could really add much to it.

I actually happen to like some of the EU but the majority of what I've been exposed to has been, for me, subpar at best. Am I supposed to read every novel in the EU before I can say that I don't like it and IMHO think the EU tends to be subpar on its best day? Do I have to read Traitor in its entirety before I can say that I feel that Stover's postmodernist approach to the Force is entirely inappropriate for SW?

For the record, I don't really have a problem with people contributing EU background stuff in film threads. But I think that there is a certain line. Threads like these really have nothing to do with the films. If you want to hear about how great the EU is, post this thread in the EU forum with "like" replacing "hate".

I may have been a bit harsh earlier but the suggestion that Stover has a better handle on the Force than what the films have given us rubbed me the wrong way.

I will agree to disagree and leave with humble apologies for hurt feelings and bruised egos.

Of course, if you can't stand the heat... ;)
  11. Wesmin7 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Go to 'Usage of the EU in this forum' and you will see a passage with 2 main rules, in those you will see the words:

Don't go off on tangents about how the EU sux

*ponders 'why do [people] hate the EU'
    ...because it is the best thing they have ever read... or because they think it 'sux'*
  12. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    Nichos Mar, I totally agree the Cloak of Deception is an excellent read. Jansons Funny Twin, it is in paperback, GET YOUR SELF A COPY. I think that this belongs here because if you asked this in an EU forum then you would never get anybody to answer you because THE PEOPLE WHO DISLIKE EU WOULD NEVER SEE IT. I am intrested in why people hate EU and this DOES have lots to do with the movies, although posting in miscellanious would have been a better idea. Anyway, if everybody loved/hated EU then we wouldn't have a lot of this sort of animated conversation that makes your brain tick now would we?
  13. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    "Ah the silence!" Admiral Spuzzum pulls out a deck chair and an iced tea.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>For example, Boba Fett dying. Lucas showed Fett dying in ROTJ and put the burp in there to make sure the audience knew. But the EU brought him back. I don't accept that.<<

Actually, Lucas showed Fett (a man whose body was covered with weapons and armor) being swallowed whole. You have to admit, out of any Sarlacc snacks, Fett had a pretty fair chance at surviving. It's not like he was some random Nikto or anything.

>>And one more thing that bugs me...all these dumb new characters showing up and taking the place of the main characters from the movies. I started reading the books to find out what happened to these characters beyond the movies...but lately that hasn't been happening. They seem to center around the new characters and show very little of the movie characters.<<

As others have mentioned, you really can't expect them to center of the movie characters forever. Others must take their place and endure their own "hero's journey". As time goes on, it always becomes less about the heroes of old than about the next generation of heroes. The prequel-era characters had the Clone Wars to create their heros, the classic-era characters had the Galactic Civil War, the sequel-era characters have the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion of the NJO. Life goes on.

On the brightside, what stories there are of the movie characters coincidentally matches up perfectly, thematically, with Lucas and Kurtz's original design for the sequel trilogy (Luke unites with his sister to defeat the Emperor and eventually goes on to guide the next generation of Jedi Knights, Leia becomes leader of her people, etc) so whats there is insightful enough to warrant their existence.

>>and all and all, comics are not intellectually involved<<

Nah, just a medium that is often criminally underutilized. Star Wars comics of the past 10 years or so are thankfully, more or less, not guilty of such.
  15. Kingpin Jedi Knight

star 2
    i started this thread so i just want to settle things so that the original question can be dealt with.

imperial_guard , i started this thread cos i wanted to hear people like you venting - i just wanted to understand why the EU is hated cos i haven't read it. what gave you the impression i was offended/shocked? i brought an EU question to the classic trilogy forums to find a few purists.

storm troopers cannot be clones because if something happened to kamino - e.g. frazzled by a death star prototype - Jango's DNA would be lost and there is no mention of the kaminoans ABY.

the force is a tool that can be used for good or bad - therefore people give it its dark and light sides.

please carry on telling me why you dislike the EU.
  16. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    IMO

Anyone who only watches the movie is limiting themselves. the EU allows fans to continue the story that they love. I have read all the books in Chrono order and i love ALL things Star Wars.

If you don't want to read the EU fine, but why bash it? I don't bash you for not reading it. do me a favor and don't bash it or me.

We all love Star wars, isn't that enuff to make us all friends?
  17. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    I have 47 softcover, 6 hardcover EU novels, and all the softcover are in chronological order. Pretty sad eh? :D
  18. Kingpin Jedi Knight

star 2
    dark_jedi_kam, i posted this so i could hear peoples objections to EU, if you don't want to discuss it - go away.

oh, and why is it sad you have the books man? whatever floats your boat.
  19. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's Kam not cam, and it's not that i don't want to discuss it, I just hate to see it bashed. Can't we have a discussion without bashing people or the EU?
  20. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    Possibly, if you had someone popping in every little while telling people to be civil.
  21. Kingpin Jedi Knight

star 2
    how can we have a disscussion about why people hate EU without it being bashed? i put this on the classic trilogy forum for a reason.
  22. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
    because people who hate the EU will come and bash it.
  23. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well, when you grow up you'll learn adults can have discussions without being rude
  24. ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Master

star 4
  25. Kingpin Jedi Knight

star 2
    i'm not being rude dark_jedi_kam, i quite like what i've read of EU, it's other people who've expressed themselves contraversially. and as i said, if you don't want to know why people hate EU - why are you here on this thread?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.