main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do you like fan fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Hi, I?m writing a paper on fan fiction for a class, and I was wondering why the users of this forum enjoy fan fiction.

First off, just to let you know what I?m doing and what it will be used for, I am writing a sociology paper for my Society and Technology class at a little tiny liberal arts college.

My paper is on fan fiction, and since this is the forum is incredibly helpful, I thought that I would ask my questions here. I?ve already done some research but it would be very helpful if I could get actual responses of people for my paper. I may or may not use someone?s answer in my paper, as in a direct quote, but I will let you know via PM if I am going to quote anyone.

Why were you attracted to fan fiction? (Not just writing but also reading.)

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story?

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards?

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories?

For readers:

Have you given an author feedback that they followed?

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards?

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards?

Those are all of the questions that I can think to ask right now. Thank you for your input! I will notify those that I quote via PM.

I know that similar questions to these may have already been posted, so if it seems redundant, I?m sorry. (And a link to that thread would be useful if you know of one!)

Thank you so much for the help!

2. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Okay, I'm going to even give my answers! :)

I was attracted to fan fiction around the time as when I suddenly discovered that I had finished reading all of the Star Wars books that were out at that time. Fan fiction allowed me to continue reading on about adventures of my favorite characters while I waited for new books to be published.

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

I think that I started reading fan fiction on people?s websites. They were mostly stories about the YJK characters, and I eventually wandered into the Jedi Council forums. After I lurked for a while I joined, and then somehow found the fan fiction forum and started reading stories there.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I write because it is fun. I have a really wacky imagination, and fan fiction provides me the outlet for my creativity. I also write because it makes the fans happy, and I like making them smile and laugh.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story?

Nope. When I have looked at other forums I have noticed that there seems to be a higher caliber of people reading and posting here. I think that may have something to do with the strict guidelines for the Jedi Council boards as well as the moderators that actually do their jobs.

I post because it?s part of a community. The writers care about their readers and the readers care about the writers. There?s an awesome help page so that writers can improve their writing through betas, help threads, and contests. The winners of contests even get real prizes like becoming a VIP for a day or so and getting those cool colors that everyone envies.

There are tons of stories here to read, and it?s pretty easy to find a good story that sparks my interest. There are also lots of members so it is not that hard to find people to read your story. (Okay, it can be hard at first but if the writer is persistent then the readers usually come.)

I just co-author a story, but a lot of the feedback has given me ideas on where to take the story and made me think about situations that the fans think about that I never would have.

For readers:

Yes. I?ve read far more stories than I have written, and I?ve started giving feedback that is more meaningful than ?Great job!? I even became a beta this way because Wes_Janson?s (aka Typo, aka PsychoSniper) spelling was so bad that I volunteered to read his stories and fix his spelling and grammar mistakes.

I read the stories here because there are a lot of great authors here that write about every type of situation that you could imagine, and even some that you would have never thought of. All of the stories are in one place and it?s fairly easy to find a good story to read.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards?

I?ve read a few stories on other forums. I know that because of the strict nature of the JCB there are lots of things that aren?t admissible, and I like that here. The rules seem to make for a friendly community.

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Fascinating subject, Jaya! I've always thought that it would be interesting for a sociologist to take a look at the different fandoms and compare them. They all have their own lingo, short forms, cliques, etc., just like other societies. I wish someone would take up that challenge.

Anyways, here are my answers:

Actually, I started in another fandom that I happened to fall into accidentally. I was looking around a fansite for pictures, and I'm one of those people who click on every link that they see, so I clicked on the link for fanfic, and found a wonderful place where people posted their own stories. I was in heaven. I was also working in a place where I could screw around on the computer and had time to read. :D

Heaven got better when it suddenly occurred to me that there had to be Star Wars fanfic out there somewhere. I loved the original Zahn trilogy, but then I found the books that came after were terrible (still haven't read most of them). One quick search on the internet later, here I was. :)

See above.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

As a kid, I always wrote stories. As a teenager and then a university student, I had no time, and was too busy writing papers. When I found fanfic, I suddenly found I was having all sorts of ideas for plots, and finally got brave enough to put a couple down on paper. I discovered (or mayber remembered is a better word) how much I enjoyed it. For me, it's my creative outlet, since I can't draw, paint, sculpt or sing very well. Now as well, I do it at least in small part for the people who read my work, because they seem to get something out of it. But mostly, I do it simply for myself.

People have asked to archive my work on their sites, and I have one in the Archives here. Responses differ in that for the former, I have gotten only one response from it. With the latter, I find that the responses were all in-depth ones that gave very specific reasons about why they liked it (as opposed to some who respond on the boards by simply saying "I like that" or "that was good" - note that these mean just as much to me).

The feedback and interaction with readers. I've made many good friends here on the boards through posting my stories here.

Absolutely. Often, a response will take my mind in a direction it wouldn't have gone in before. They also helped me to realise I needed a beta - and many of them have since helped me out by beta'ing my posts.

For readers:

I think so. I hesitate to be more definitive than that, but I think my feedback has at least in a couple of occasions influenced the direction of a story.

Interaction, but also the stories here are so varied and wonderful that I always have something to read. As well, in a recent conversation with someone here, I mentioned that the stories here seem to deal much more directly with the characters' emotions than a lot of published (profic) work does. I personally like that very much - more so than having to read between the lines as in a lot of profic.

Yes and yes. The difference is that these boards seem much more advanced in that there is the ability to hit a link and leave a response right away. On other boards (in other fandoms), you have to go to the trouble of leaving a persona

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, I just totaly hate what NJO has done to Star Wars. It lacked the exellent characther devolpment that the earlier books (especily the Zahn, Xwing, and YJK series) had in abdunce and I decided to just read fanfic out there for fun. Then I stumbled across the fanfic boards here, and registerd that day.

Started on websites, but I found TF.N's boards a few days later

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?
    Humor, mainly, interspaced with more serious stuff. I also wrote one poemfic, and the few responses I got were good ones.
    Nope, just in teh JC.
    Because things such as flamers arnt allowed. The fanfic mods, the best on the boards, keep it all running smooth,
    Yes, well my beta was a fan and reader to start with but she hated my atrocious spelling.

For readers:

Yes

They tend to be quite good

Yes, on FanFic.Net.
    The quality is about the same. Some good, some REALLY good, and some I dont bother to finish. The main differnce is FF.N doesnt censor the language, which I Like a bit more.

5. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Yay! I have responses!

Eek! Gah... release forms. I don't think I'll be that through about it, but I did check ahead of time with the mods to see if it was okay for me to ask questions. My sociology professor also reminded us that we are to "cause no harm" with our questions so I'm going to try to be a good little writer and not make anyone sorry for answering my questions. But I like your suggestion with telling those that I quote the context that their quotation will be in. Thanks for the suggestion Shaindl!

Do you really think people will want to read my paper?

Thanks for the replies!

6. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Do you really think people will want to read my paper?

It depends on the person. In my case, I was interviewing minors for my undergraduate thesis, so I had to do waiver forms, write an explanatory paper for the Ethics Review Board at my university, the whole nine yards. One of the Board's requirements was to make the paper available for people to read after it was finished. But none of the kids really cared to read a 61 page paper when it was done. Can't imagine why. ;)

You're welcome for the suggestions - I only made them because I almost made that mistake with my paper. It was only at the last minute that my advisor and I discovered that I did indeed need to do an ethics review. It made my life misery for a couple weeks - I'd hate to see anyone else go through that. One last suggestion - you might want to only quote those above legal age in your state just to be on the safe side. :)

And I for one would be interested in your conclusions. What are you trying to argue?

Shaindl

7. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I'll do this...I love surveys! ;)

Why were you attracted to fan fiction? (Not just writing but also reading.) As far as SW, it's just a real affection for the stories and the characters. Profic just isn't enough...I want more!

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?) I've always written, since I was about 13...I dunno, I think some people just have stories in them that they have to get out. As far as reading fanfic, I stumbled across a story a little over a year ago while looking for pics of Luke [face_love] and it mushroomed from there.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write? I have to. I know that may not be exactly the answer you were looking for, but if I couldn't write, I think I'd go crazy.

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? I post at ff.net and a couple of yahoo groups. Most everyone's response to my stories have been positive, but I definitely get the most response here.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Because I want people to read my little ideas and tell me what they think of my visions of the SW universe. And I LOVE reading other's stories as well.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? Oh, yes, my story has gotten much better since I started using a beta. And I've found that sometimes, reader's remarks will bring up an aspect of my story that even I had not considered!

For readers:

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? Well, I am becoming known for pushing plot bunnies on people! (Just ask Kazzy or VaderLVR64!)

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? Overall, this site has the highest caliber of writers and stories. And it's much easier to search through and find stuff that you want to read.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? Other than here, I mostly read at ff.net, but I'm not sure if that's really considered a forum? The JC is the only site like this that I post or read at.

Good Luck with your project...I hope it goes well!

:) :) :)

8. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Jaya

Sounds like a great topic for a paper and as a trained Anthropologist/Archeaologist I can certainly relate.

I will answer in a few days when I am feeling better and able to sit at the computer for more than a few minutes at a time.

Wedge :>o<: [/color]

9. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow! I really feel loved! You guys are great! :)

10. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hehehe, I'll answer. :)

Why were you attracted to fan fiction? (Not just writing but also reading.) I was wandering around TF.N, absent-mindedly clicked on the 'Random Fanfic' link instead of the one I was aiming for and found myself in the Archive. And was hooked. :)

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?) Like I said, completely by accident. Talk about lucky accidents. . .

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?
    Because it's fun! And for the teeming millions of us who have realized that we'll never make it as pro SW authors, it's the next best thing. :)

Do you post your stories on other forums, and if you do, is there any difference in the responses to your story? No.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Because they're the first ones I found, and also they have the BIG advantage of being child-friendly and so not being blocked by my restrictive Internet settings.

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? I think that one's a resounding Yes. If it weren't for people taking the time and trouble to read my fics I would've stopped writing a looong time ago. I owe them a lot. (Thanks guys!) And like Shaindl said - I too write sans outline, so a random comment in a reply can change the entire later course of the story to something a lot more interesting than it would have been. :eek:

For readers:

This, I don't know. Possibly. If so, they haven't told me.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? Because there's so many great works of fiction here and like I said before, because it's child-friendly. :) Also because of the people - I've made a lot of good friends here from reading stories who I'd never have encountered otherwise.

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? No. I drive myself crazy trying to keep up with the stories I'm reading on the JC alone. More than one board would be impossible.

Good luck with your paper :)

Nem :D

11. Lady_WinterCelchu

Lady_WinterCelchu Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2003

After reading stories i often wondered what would happen in different places. eg.After, or before. I also wanted to change bits so i did in my head. I started writing and reading them when i realised others were on the same wavelength and i wasn't insane for writing things randomly. So i read what other people thought as well.

how did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

I got started writing them when i was bored and wanted to remember what i had thought. It started in a diary so i'd be able to look back on it in time and see whether i still agreed on my outlook. i Don't know where the interest began but i posted my first fic here. I finally had the courage to do it. So i did.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I write as i enjoy it. I know i could never do it professionally but it is something that i love doing. I also have a big imagination so it is fun to see what i can come up with. Even if it is just to look back on when i'm older.

I post my stories on fanfiction.net the responses are not that different. Only more people who i know read them from there.

I post my fanfics on this forum site because other people share the same ideas here. I know my writing will be given a fair chance . The writers here are also very good and helpful so it's an honour to do so. It's also a good way to make new friends.

Yes. They give friendly suggestions or ask for something to be put in.

For readers:

Yes.

It feels like a community of people who enjoy the same things i do. The readers and authors seem to respect eachother and their views. It is easy to navigate and the moderators make sure nothing offensive is written. If so it is removed.
    It is easy to find a story with your interests.

Yes i read stories on other forums there are no major differences on the stories except the parameters in which JCF allows may be different. Therefore more graphic or profane etc. fics are accepted.
    The strict guidelines and helpful sites make it easier to read and write stories effectively here. More so then many forums i have visited.

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Why do you write? It makes great practice before going on to write your own stuff. YOu can make mistakes here and learn from them, as opposed to playing in your own universe.

I also like playing and expanding on things that the films never really got into (ie. Qui and Obi's relationship)

Not really, the majority have been supportive and urging to continue.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? Well, it's a larger audience and I found that I could get inspiration and learn a lot from other writers.

The ones that offered advice have given me pointers on how to keep the reader interested and to avoid predictable plots and such

13. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

Yes. If it's not positive I'll PM it. And I always try to give some sort of feedback, even if it's just "Good post!". I have to admit that lately I've been keeping it lighter, I don't have the time that I used to and haven't been getting as deep as I'd like to.

There is no such thing as too much reading material. I originally found fanfiction when I got tired of dry spells in between books. This place is a community as much as it is a place to read stuff. I love that. I have friends here and there's always so much to discuss. Also, I know I'm "safe" here. This is the only major site out here that I know doesn't have any content that I might find majorly offensive.

Like I said before, the JC is safe. And more of the stuff here is quality. I hang out on fanfiction.net and 90% plus of that stuff is crap. Little sites have quality material but don't have much quantity. Plus there's that community aspect again, with the contests and support that tends to help authors flourish :)

EDIT: Clarity and grammer. Dang english language! :p

14. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004

As hokey as it sounds, I simply enjoy reading. Part of it's the escapism of those moments curled up with a good book or that bit of quiet time at the computer, but it's also seeing what other minds have come up with and feel like sharing with others. To me fanfics aren't all that different than an original story.

I was 4 and at the time my mother was president of the Christopher Lee International Club. She corresponded regularly with other presidents of fanclubs and they'd all send each other assorted whathaveyous. I forgot the name of the lady who was with the Star Trek one at the time, but once she heard my mother liked Spock, she sent some cells snipped from the TV show itself and a few fanfics. My mom let me help her with the club stuff like stapling the newsletter and all, and I picked up one of the Kirk/Spock fanfics and read it.

I didn't understand some of the words, and it was my first exposure men having a thing for other men, but the fact that someone like my mother had put the story in the head onto thier typewriter and others were sharing the story around planted the seed in my head that I could do the same thing when I was grown up.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

Have to point the finger at my mother again. She wrote quite a bit of poetry and it just bled on down to me. However my poetry skills are five shades of lousy, so I just gravitated to stories.

It depends on the forum and how they allow feedback. I've noticed that the ones that allow a straight email to the author tend to be more blunt while the ones that are publicly viewable tend to be either fluff or restrained.

I haven't posted a story yet to the boards here. It's not so much a matter of not having material, but that what I tend to write doesn't comply with the board's rules due to either mature situations or language. Once a story comes out that does comply, I'll be posting it after I put it through the usual wringer I put all my work through.

Yes. I learn from each bit of feedback sent to me be it positive or negative. In one circumstance, a reader found errors that warranted my pulling the story from my website to correct.

For readers:

I do feedback, but I've never gone to check if it's been followed.

Same reason I'll read fanfic anywhere. I enjoy reading what others feel worthy to share with others.

Other than the main differences that come from the submission guidelines as to what's accepted or not, not that much overall. There is a better quality found here than per se at Fanfiction.net in my opinion.

Questions from the over 30 writer's thread:

Did you write fan fiction before the internet was widely available, and if you did, who read it? Also, how was it distributed?

I did, and it was all in notebooks or with the typewriter. My readership was just close friends and family. I was too terrified to send them out to any of the fanzines.

If you wrote fan fiction before the internet was widely available, how has the internet changed your writing style, or your opinion of your writing?

In the beginning, I was sure I was going to get an ulcer with the concept of the world being able to read my work. It took me quite a few years to build up the cohones to p

15. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I like Starwars and writing in general, so as soon as I found this board, I thought it would be nice to write stories dedicated to Starwars.

how did you get started reading or writing fan fiction?

Sort of both at once really, posting my stories in sections and reading other people's work

And where did this interest begin? (As in this forum or another or by reading someone?s fiction that was up on a website?)

This forum.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

After watching movies and reading books, I get lots of ideas, and twist them around to try create a tale. I try to combine the ideas with my thoughts to make the story as original as possible.

No, I haven't yet posted in another forum.

Expressing my ideas means a lot to me. It's great that one can read what I write and I can read other people's stories.

Indeed. I found other posters very influential, and helped me realize how I could improve my writing.

For readers:

Yes, a few authors asked me to beta read their fic.

Cause they're fun and interesting.

Very few. Fanfiction.net mostly

16. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000

Well, I was writing fanfic before I even knew what it was. It just came natural to me to want to write about the Star Wars universe, and I did. But then when I joined the JC and saw there was all this fanfiction to read, well, I enjoyed it, though there was so much it was overwhelming! But I find a lot of fan fic is VERY good, and some of the alternative stuff I read and ended up really wishing that was how it happened. And I recall some was so well written, as well as any of the professional books, and I kept mixing up in my mind whether it was fanfiction or canon!

I guess when I was first browsing the JC three and a half years ago, I saw this forum, and thought "oh cool"

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?

I write because it gives me something to do, and sometimes it gives me an escape. Like, I like how in writing you can write events to work out however you want, which you can't do, of course, in real life. I also just get ideas and then something inside of me burns until I start putting it down on paper, and won't leave me alone. And I write SW fan fic, because I love Star Wars and for years Star Wars was as much my world as reality was.

Nope. I posted on on Episode3.net, but that is a dying forum, and I don't think anyone read it, which was ok, I was only posting it as a favor cause no one posts there. :p

Because it's the largest SW message board I think, and has the best community of readers. I like getting feedback on my stories, and besides, I have this thing like, even though I enjoy writing, I feel if I write and no one reads it, there's no point. And I don't like doing things without a point, if it's only ever goingt o be read by me, I feel it isn't much of an achievement. I dunno if that's good or bad.

I haven't gotten very many readers, and the truth is, people on the JC don't generally critique, if they like a story, they will say post, but if they don't, they won't, because they don't wanna offend. I have never really had a beta reader, I dunno why, but I just felt like my stories could stand on their own, I dunno.

For readers:

Nah, I don't wanna offend either, so I only post in stories I think are *really* good.

Because I think they have the best quality of fan fic I have seen.

I haven't read any, really. None of the ones off the JC caught my fancy really.

17. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004

A: It's free. B: Much of it is better than published writing. C: I can read large amounts in a short period of time. D: It's more personal than reading books. You really get to know the author, through reviews and PMs and other boards.

Well, my friend and I always went on www.death-curse.com (a Harry Potter site), and one day, my friend discovered the fan fiction boards! I fell in love with Harry Potter fics. One day I was looking at the links on a geek website and I found this site. I discovered the archives first. I wrote Harry Potter fics long before Star Wars, and actually, it all started with a day when my brother was gone and I began speculating what Harry would name his kid... 8-} It just kind of spiraled from there. I didn't trust myself to write Star Wars fics until I found a plot bunny in a newsletter I couldn't resist... of course, I never ended up writing it. ;)

Why do you write?

Well, I love writing, especially fantasy and science fiction. Unforutnately for me, I have a hard time creating settings. Characters and plots (to an extent) I can come up with, but original fantasy/sci-fi backdrops are very hard for me. Star Wars and Harry Potter basically give me ready-made backdrops to set my stories on. Also, you can write vignettes successfully. I've begun several novel-length stories (fan fiction and otherwise) but have never finished a single one. It's very hard to figure out good ideas for vignettes without fan fiction, and that's pretty much all that I can write and finish.

Why do I write in general? The words are pretty. ;) But really, it's like music for me. I've played piano and violin for a long time, and I'm always listening to some form of music, and writing is just like an extension of music. If you know how to listen, everything sounds like music. Especially writing. :) Did that make any sense?

Well, I still post on www.death-curse.com, but much less frequently. Because they are boards where you post the stories and then have reviews on a separate page, the quality of the reviews is much worse. Generally they are one sentence responses ended in something along the lines of "now go read my stories..." Also, there is much less reader-author interaction because the story isn't moved up on the boards whenever it is reviewed. You don't get to know the author, and you get less insight on their thought process. Fewer people tend to read other's reviews since they aren't on the same page as the story.

It's very friendly. :) I've been reading here for a long time, and I joined as soon as I was old enough. All of the authors seem to be great friends here. For example, I reviewed an author's story, she PMed me, and then reviewed my first story... She ended up adopting me. No other fan fiction forum I have ever seen is so open and amiable. :D

Another reason... most of my class thinks I'm stupid for liking Star Wars. There is a grand total of one other Star Wars fan in a class of 46, and she isn't much of a fan of the genre and era of the fics I write. It's great to be able to share my writing with Star Wars fans from everywhere. It also acts as an anti-depressant. Whenever I'm feeling bored or sad or frustrated, I just think about reviews and it improves my mood. :)

They've definitely boosted my confidence, which in turn inspires me to take more risks, which might improve my writing. It helps me see what people like. The only specific criticism I've had so far is from my brother (he's not old enough to post here), and he just didn't

18. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Why do you write?

I write because I can. I love what-ifs, what-could-bes, what-should-bes, and creating different interpretations of different things. For me, writing is a form of relaxation and fun.

Yes - and sometimes, people aren't very supportive of my stories, but others are. It all varies, which is great, and I value all opinions of responses.

Why do you post your stories to the Jedi Council Boards? I love getting other people's opinions on my writing, and I write for fun and enjoyment. I often times feel that if I give my works to my friends, they might think less of me, or find me crazy or odd, and when I write at the JC, no one really knows me. I'm basically another anonymous fan, and then I feel that people can give me an honest response without worrying that it'll damage my relationship with them. :)

Have your fans, or critiques, helped you write better stories? Yes. I take what people write into consideration, and I think that I have really grown as a writer due to all the critiques recieved.

Have you given an author feedback that they followed? Yes. I appreciate feedback, and I'm sure all authors do as well.

Why do you read stories on the Jedi Council Boards? I think it's fun to read, and here there are so many different styles and forms of writing I can expand my knowledge of writing. I also happen to enjoy stories written purely for fun, or just as alternate universes, or that just pique my curiousity. I love reading about my favorite characters' different adventures :)

Do you read stories on other forums, and if so, is there any difference between the stories on the JCB and other boards? I do, and I don't think there is that big of a difference. Most of the genres that I read all follow the same basic ideas, just different characters, but it is the presentation of those basic ideas that make the story what it is.

Good luck with writing - what a fun topic to have! :D

19. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow, the response to this has been great guys! I can't begin to thank you enough!

It's interesting for me to see how much I have in common with the other writers here... we all seem to have strange little stories that develop in our head, and we've finally found a place to share them with an audience that wants to read them!

This just shows you another great facet of this board: members willing to help out other members! You guys are great!

20. Eowyn_Liesl

Eowyn_Liesl Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2003
    Greetings Jaya Solo! I hope you don't mind having a total stranger reply to your questions.

Why were you attracted to fan fiction?
    If I'm ever not reading, it's because my optometrist made me quit. (She did say I should take up a long-distance-sight hobby...) I've been very impressed by the level of skill exhibited by some authors, especially Alli-Wan (who, alas, posts no longer).

How did you get started reading or writing fan fiction? And where did this interest begin?
    A friend of mine introduced me to Alli-Wan's stories, and after that, I read a few others that I enjoyed.

Why do you write?
    I don't post anything online, mostly because I haven't written any SW fan fiction myself, and I don't know of an online community that is as receptive of general fiction as the JC. But I write because I enjoy it. (Although, as an engineer, I mostly write technical reports...)

I did ask one author a lot of pesky questions about his plot...I think he appreciated it though.

As I said, I've been really impressed with the level of skill some of these authors display. Plus I enjoy escapism.

Nope...sorry...

Hope that helps! Good luck on your paper.

21. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Thanks Eowyn. Since when are you a total stranger? We've just never met formally on the boards! ;) And I'm quite aware that it was I that introduced you to the fan fic here! :)

22. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    We don't really know each other, but I've seen you around and I figured since I wasn't too busy I might as well answer a few questions to help you out. :)

Hmmm... Well, I'd have to say that I was attracted to fan fiction because I wanted to explore the possibilities of the Jaina/Jag relationship. I'd thought that Jag was an intriguging character and then they seemed to just stop developing him so I moved to fan fiction to fix it. (And boy am I glad I did. :) )

Well, again it was really all because of my dislike of the way Jag's character was handled, I started hanging out on starwars.com a lot, trying to see if I was the only one that felt that way and someone mentioned fan fiction. At first I was a little freaked out, I mean, I was only 13 and my thinking was that it was going to be a lot of fangirls blubbering about how unfair the authors were to Zekk, Kyp, and anyone else that may have been a romantic interest in Jaina's life at some point in time so I steered clear. But then, one day I just decided that I might as well check it out because my own thoughts were just getting me more iterested. The first post I read (I can't even remember the story I happened to venture into) hooked me, I don't even think it was my primary interest (Jaina/Jag) but it hooked me all the same. I just saw how well everyone got along and it really made me want to read more and even a little bit later, venture into that of authordom.

If you are a writer:

Why do you write?
    Mostly, I write for myself and for fun. I just get a thrill that nothing else gives me, and I love it. I just love spending hours sitting and exploring my imagination and building from things that books made me think.

Yes, I post my stories on fanfiction.net too. I'd have to say, the responses on this forum are much more indepth and friendlier. Not to say that the people at fanfiction.net aren't friendly and the like, I just feel that here people express themselves more.

The people. That's really the only true answer that I can come up with. I could say because it's easy and the like but really, it's just the people that make me keep posting my stories on here. They just make me want to write.

Definitely. Their continued support really made me want to write better, which I actually started doing.

For readers:

Hmm. Not too sure. I've read so many stories that I lose track of what I read and how I reply. Sorry can't be more helpful on this question.

The qualitity of the stories just seems better here; maybe it's just me, but when I venture onto another site I find that the qualitity to quantity ratio isn't very high.

Very much so. The authors that post here seem more experienced than those who post on the other sites. Not to say that the authers on the other sites are as good, it just seems like the people here are more mature.

Hope that helped! :D

23. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    What the heck, I'll have a go at this.

I think I really enjoyed the freedom a fan fic gives a writer or reader to just go anyplace the authors mind wants.

I first started reading fan fic's out of frustration waiting for the next novel to come out, and my need to speculate what was going to happen next. Getting a computer just opened up a whole world for me to explore and I found out I wasn't the only person that had this urge to read and write in my favorite universe. I found a web page that had fan fic stories on it and it also had a link to this site and that's where my obession really took off.

Why do you write?

I don't really know for sure. It's fun and I just enjoy doing it.

Not really. I've got some stories on another web site but it's not a forum like TFN. I can't say there's been much difference in the responses though.

It's been a while since I posted a story but I enjoy the immediate feedback and the fun of being in a round robin.

Fans? What are those? :p Most of my readers were people that knew me so I did value their comments, and yes it was helpful in making my writing better.

Yep.

I enjoy seeing all the different writing styles and what people do with characters and just how creative the ideas can be at times. It's also good fun.

I've read other stories that are a bit more mature on other boards or sites. It's nice here in that you always know what you are getting. There may be more in depth and longer stories on other sites, and that might have to do with the nature of posting in a forum like setting.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I think I'll give this a shot, Jaya.

I like writing fan fiction because it's a creative outlet for me. It gives my mind a workout and keeps my grammar skills up to par. Why do I read it? Wwell, there are a lot of good, talented writers out there who actually write better than the 'profic' writers.

Umm, I honestly can't remember. I do know that the first fic site I stumbled onto was fanfiction.net, and it was the Sailor Moon section that caught my eye. Beyond that...

Why do you write?
    I write because I can, pure and simple. Also because peole seem to like my work for some ungodly reason. ;)

I post my stories to my gaming clan's website, but there's been no noticeable difference in responses.

I post here because it's a lot friendlier than some other boards and fic sites I've been to.

I think so.

No, I've never seen it.

I read stories here because they're good, and because some authors have a genuine love for the stories they write.

Yes, I do. The stories on some boards seem...just not as good as here. The grammar seems worse, and on some sights... o_O

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Okay, Jaya. Here you go with another one.

I've been reading science fiction since third grade. When I realized that there was a treasure-trove of new stories out there and about Star Wars, how could I resist? The books and comics don't come out fast enough for me and they usually didn't cover all the events that I was interested in. Fan fiction delves into uncharted areas that just demand to be read. I'm very happy to be part of that.

Reading. I'd read a few Star Trek fics long ago (pretty badly written ones at that) but when I joined the Qui-Gon Jinn Discussion List (QGJDL) to talk about things Star Wars and the people there were posting great stories, I was hooked.
    Writing. One day we were discussing the plot of one of the more popular fics on the QGJDL and I brought up the question about what if Obi-Wan lost control. Several people said that they couldn't picture such a thing and a plot bunny just popped into my head. I had no idea that I could write but when I sent it to one of my on-line friends, she loved it. And the rest, they say, is history.

If you are a writer:
    Why do you write?

Most people say that they enjoy writing. I do not. I write because it is almost painful not to write. An image or a story gets stuck in my head and I have to let it out or it will continue to bug me until I do. When it's done, however, I do get a lot of satisfaction from the feedback of my readers. I admit that I am a bit of a feedback junkie ? it makes it all worthwhile.

Yes, I post on the QGJDL. The responses on that site are minimal at best, however. There is much more feedback here. I haven't begun to post on fanfiction.net yet but plan on doing so when my long (oh-so-long) story is complete ? then I'll post all of my stories over there as well.

The feedback here has been wonderful. Even if the readers don't agree with my storyline or character development, they are quite nice about it and PM me with questions. Plus I've made some terrific friends. It's a community of people that just amaze me with their caring.

Absolutely, especially in the WR. The discussions about writing styles have been immeasurably helpful. And the challenges have spurred me to write about things I normally wouldn't have considered. It has been great.

For readers:

Yes, I have. I was quite happy when they did.

The variety here is just amazing and the quality of most of the stories is first-rate. Plus the readers and writers are so giving and helpful, it?s just wonderful to be a part of it.

Yes, I do read a lot of fics on other boards. Since I like to read R and NC-17 stories, I have to go elsewhere to read them; those sites also have some wonderful stories but I understand about the guidelines. There are plenty of fics here that pique my interest as well. I usually hop among a couple of boards every night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.