main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why do you Like Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jid123Sheeve, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Since we have Two Seasons now and a third on the way of Star Wars Rebels, i just want to ask, a simple question. Why do you like Rebels. This isn't to compare or contrast from TCW, this isn't to do a pro or anti EU thing, this is just a question to all the fans of Rebels. Why do you like it? I just wanna know, express here why you like the show. Is it for the characters, the stories, the lore. It be interesting to understand to learn why you like this show, what about Rebels clicks with you personally and why do you enjoy the show. It's just something i think could be a interesting discussion question, i am genuinely curious to here the responses.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I don't. I think it's a poor show that wasted potential. Which if not for the Starwars name would have died a death a long time ago.

But in answer to the question. What I like is some of the conceptual ideas, and the potential it had, that's about it.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Despite all the problems I DO have with the show, I do think the voice acting is great, and find the story of the birth of the Rebellion to be intriguing.

4. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I love the characters and their roads. I love how sometimes simple storytelling can give us something really deep. I love how the characters change, how noone is perfect - noone is flawless, they are way more interesting that way.
    I really like the Ghost crew and watching GFA through their eyes. I absolutely adore the dynamic between them.
    I like lighter episodes as well as the heavier ones.
    I like how well- thought are the guest characters. Cham Syndulla in Rebels and his behaviour is the consequence of the events in the book and previously in TCW. Same with Leia. After reading Bloodline I understand how important her episode was.
    I like that the show has younger characters kids can relate to as well as older ones.
    And I absolutely dig the whole space family thing.

I just really love Star Wars Rebels and for me and my family and lots of friends it's one of the best things that could happen to the SW Universe ;)

and I could write so much more but I think it covers the basics for now ;)

Kyle Katarn and Iron_lord like this.
  5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree with you about the Voice acting and the story of the birth of the Rebellion is intriguing, they just could have done it a lot better

Darth Basin and Dinos4Ever like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Really? You think it would have died/been cancelled if it did not have the SW name backing it? Yet it has a 7.9/10 on IMBD.

7. amaximinalist

amaximinalist Jedi Padawan

Aug 30, 2016
    It's a show with more shortcomings then actual flaws. I wasn't a fan of the CGI initially, and sometimes I got the feeling that it's the sort of product where the drawn concept art looks nicer than the final product, but it's otherwise decent and it does come to emit some beauty time to time. And to be fair, even the weaker moments of the show are kinda like sitting through the weak moments of the Original Trilogy.

That said, I think it's a good show that does reaches deserved greatness from time to time. For as uneven Season 2 was, plenty of its greatest and most resonate moments came from there. I think I appreciate it for being comfortable in its simplicity and reaching out to complexity time to time. And even without the expanded material, it was responsible for making Kanan Jarrus my personal favorite EU Jedi because I'm so drawn to Freddie Prinze's character performance of a man who moves forward despite not always knowing what he's doing and while has came a long way to maturity, he's still coming to terms with his adulthood.I also like that it expands the lore and dynamics of the Light and Dark Side.

Moments like Hera's slippage into a Ryloth accent before her father, the Knighting of Kanan, the origin story of Kallus's bo-rifle, the visage of Anakin peering from cracked persona of Darth Vader (and Ahsoka coming to the confused but appropriate epiphany that her master could be both Anakin and Vader at once rather than exclusive), are examples of classic greatness I wish the show had more consistency of.

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    McDonald's meals, Michael Bay movies and Twilight books are all very popular, it doesn't not make any of them good

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well instead of calling something as equal to a Michael Bay film try to understand WHY people LIKE IT...You know...Understand don't insult. Doesn't mean you have to like it but it would be nice to know...Attempt to get the other side. It's why i made this thread to find out WHY people like and give a reason behind there liking above "I like it"

Gudenruben2 and Darth Basin like this.
  10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Rebels is only good for me because it's star wars content, and TV which is like second level of the "hierarchy", whereas it's movies-series-EU. I feel like I have to watch it because I always want to be updated on the SW universe and I just enjoy getting to know the content. Until now I do think the show has mostly pretty bad episodes, despite all the potential it had. As someone else said though, hadn't this been star wars it'd be cancelled long time ago. Hopefully it gets better in season 3.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Now that's the kinda response i like :)

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I wasn't trying to be insulting and if I was I apologise. I was just responding to the point that its popular and pointing out, being popular doesn't nesscarily equal good.

Why do people like it. Well that can be for different reasons, simply personal taste. Some people can like it and dislike it for the same reason. One springs to mind, is the stand alonish feel to the episodes. You could swap a load of them around and not miss a beat. Now I know some people actively like that, myself I do not and one of the issues I have is that it could be more episodic but for others, it makes it easier for show to get into

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Alrighty apology accepted. :)

And that is a good point....Though i am curious to see what it's like to binge watch the show, i've heard many tell a tale of better experiences with the show after binge watching it on DVD. This is why i wish the show were on Netflix, because then i could re-watch the seasons, and also see what it's like as one big chunk. Evidence of this being the Star Wars Underworld Podcast http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/08/review-star-wars-rebels-season-two-blu.html

I know a friend who enjoys Agents of Shield because they binged watched the First Two Seasons instead of watching it week to week.

But then again Jeremy Jahns did that and he had a relatively ok experience so....I guess that does't necessarily work for everyone.

fett 4 likes this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm in the camp that's watches out of necessity rather than enjoyment. I stopped hoping to like this series after the end of season 1.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's not on Netflix but it is on Amazon Prime if that helps
    I did binge watch it, and for me for S1 You could watch the Premire, Droids in distress (maybe) /Rise of the Old Masters/Then the last 3 he talks about Call to Action/Rebel Resolve and Fire Across the Galaxy. The rest you didn't really need

16. amaximinalist

amaximinalist Jedi Padawan

Aug 30, 2016
    Again, my hope is that it reaches a consistency of greatness in its third season. Not like its uneven wavering between average to good.

Though notably my experience with the show has been incidentally uneven. Among the first episodes I've watched was Seige of Lothal and Blood Sisters, both second season. It's notably the rather heavy conversation between Kanan and Hera at the doorway regarding his PTSD about the war that immediately notified me that this show was worth sticking around for, worth sitting through its weak moments, to see what maturity and greatness it could bring to the table. Upon reaching season 1, I think it was a watchable averageness that got a bit better as it went with "Rise of the Masters" and the spark of Kanan and Ezra's master-apprentice dynamic being the poignant turning point.

Sometimes I do think the series shows its limitation within the budget (and that's not necessarily the animators' fault). But I think where the series truly can shine is when it makes the writing good and sincere (like Kanan realizing what "Do or do not" really means and Hera consoling Ezra on the dynamics of hope). There's also some truly stellar visual storytelling, whether it's the vision of the Temple Guard removing his mask (revealing a plethora of enigmatic history within only a few seconds), the image of Kallus sitting in woeful contemplation in his cabin with the light Zeb gave him, the subtle but noticeable melancholy on Hera's expression as she tries to maintain professionality before Kanan and Ezra venture to Malachor, and Ezra's sorrowful realization when a masked Kanan reaches his hand toward Ezra needing his apprentice's guidance.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's pretty close to my feelings towards the show, though I think I've enjoyed the average episodes at lest on a enjoyment level. But you got a really good point you know it could be really good it just needs to capture its focus. Because it can hit the highs and when it has its moments it has its moments. I'd argue the Lasat episode near the end music why's has its moment with that lovely violen score.

18. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    One thing I like about rebels (And indeed the new EU as a whole) is the references towards outside works. Unlike the Old EU in that much was created before the PT, these works fit far more smoothly into the saga as a whole (With the exception of a few minor gripes that I will leave out of this poll in the name of positivity and staying on topic.)

This allows far nicer nods to the expanded saga, such as accurate references to the Clone War, Jedi of that era, and simply better fluidity between episodes.

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It is a much needed bridge between the PT and the OT while showing that there are other people in the galaxy who aren't named Skywalker, Kenobi, Organa, and want to see the Empire gone.

Also, I like Chopper. He's a douche, we need more droids who act like douches.

20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Because it feels like a direct continuation of the Lucas-verse (I-VI) and doesn't just limit itself to tried and tested nostalgia (like TFA mostly did). Rebels goes places. I get chills even thinking of the brilliant new concepts the show introduced. That Season 2 ending. My jaw was wide open during that. Such a moving Kevin Kiner score.

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

I actually liked the score for that season. Makes me excited at the prospects of what new composers might do. I mean, we already had Jeremy Soule do one of the best SW soundtracks ever so I think there is room for much more.

22. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    Like most people here, I like the show, although the pace is uneven. There have been oits of great episodes that have dealt with and expanded upon the lore of the force and the jedi. The episodes with Yoda, Vader or Ahsoka appearances have been amongst some of the best SW moments in any media form in my opinion. However, for every one of this type of episode, there are easily 2-3 slow or silly ones. I also dislike some of the cameos made by OT characters, chiefly the Lando and Leia episodes, which were duller than they ought to have been.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I can sum it up in one word: original.

Focus on new characters and not the same old, same old.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I could give my own two cents on that, but I'll plead the Fifth.

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Plead the Fifth? more like plead the Sith! eh....eh...

*room falls silent*

[​IMG]

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.