main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do you like Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by yes, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    Ahhh.....Such a simple question. Today, Star Wars tends to get a lot of flack from the LOTR and Matrix fanboys out there despite the fact that Star Wars has been around for 26 years proves that its fanbase is very strong. This got me thinking of the question above. I'm not very sure if anyone has asked this question, but if someone were to ask you today why do you like Star Wars, what'd be your answer?

Feel free to post your answer here. I posted it on the Star Wars Saga board a while ago but it got modded because it was said to be not very appropriate for discussion on that board. So here it is again! Anyway, I'll be back later to give my answer.

2. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Two words: Expanded Universe. don't get me wrong, the movies are great. but until i read my first Star Wars novel (The Truce at Bakura if any one cares) I wasn't a Star Wars fan at all.

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    1. Escapism. Star Wars presents a larger-than-life world, filled with weird things. :p It's a fun trip for the imagination.

2. Action. Lots of stuff that gets blown up. Lots of fast-paced chases.

3. Mythology. Star Wars is rich with mythological elements that add an immense amount of depth to what would otherwise be a pretty empty action film.

4. Visuals. Not only does it have great special effects, but it also uses visual elements to get certain points across in regards to the story.

5. Plot. The overall plot is fascinating. I love how everything ties in to the overall picture. To a lesser degree the individual stories are great, too, like Luke saving his dad, Han "defeating" Jabba, Threepio and Artoo's adventures, etc.

Not only are these movies fun to watch over and over simply because of the action and great visuals, but they also have so much going on between the lines. Those are the main reasons I love this story.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    This is going to sound really stupid, but anyways...

I was at a friend's house and he had a copy of the Ep. I Incredible Cross-Sections book. I was leafing through it when, on the page with the podracers, I noticed how insanely small the fuel tank was for an engine that size. That's what originally drew me in. And then I discovered the EU and there was no turning back. I'm a big fan now.

5. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    first movie i saw on the big screen... i loved it and watched the movies when i could... i went away though for afew years (but then i left everything i loved behind me). then one day while at the used book store i found an extended universe series book: the last command and picked it up-never knew there was an extended universe before this... i fell in love all over again then i went to the smithsoian exhibt on opening day while i was in DC-it was then that Star Warws became a permant and complete part of my life once again...

6. Leia_Fanatic

Leia_Fanatic Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Two words: Expanded Universe.

This is true for me too. I love the movies but the EU makes the movies better. The characters get more developed and we get to see Leia's children grow.

I love Star Wars because it lets me escape my sorrows. I feel comfortable while watching it. I love it.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Pretty much because it's got everything in it. I love Science Fiction, and I owe a lot to SW for introducing me to it.
    I like the action, the philosophy, the sabers, troopers, ideas, histories, everything

8. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    It's similar to LOTR, in that it creates a whole new world (or in SWs case, Universe), fills it with loads of interesting characters and gives it thousands of years of back history. There is also the same sense of mystery, magic and mythology (that wasn't meant to alliterate) that you get from LOTR that draws you in. It also feels so similar to our our own societies and environments, and yet is so different. All that and I only saw my first SW film 1 1/2 years ago.

9. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, first off, not to be nitpicking here, but most LOTR fans will tell you..LOTR has been around longer than SW, just not in movie form.

Anyways, I guess I love SW so much for one simple reason: the story. It's just such a great story about the very basic concept of good vs. evil. And it doesn't hurt that George Lucas is great at telling this story either.

10. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    It's fun to watch. It has some kind of atmosphere that draws you in. When I saw it as a kid, it scared me but also drew me in. It's not our world.

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    The attraction for me began as a kid. Star Wars was the first "action space" movie I ever saw.

Plus, seeing it back in '77...I got caught up in all the hype.

And to this day...I still get caught up in all the hype. :D

12. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    I was actually drawn to the Phantom Menace books before the movie even came out. (Incredible Cross-Sections, Scrap Book, The Novel etc...) I actually saw Ep. 1 late into it's theatrical run, but when I did I was completely blown away...

and here I am. :D

Rick McCallum thinks you're seriously deranged!

13. yes

yes Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2001
    Well, the movies themselves are GREAT movies. They redefined special effects and besides how many films are like that at that time? Great story, fun characters and mean bad guys make the Star Wars trilogy one of the best trilogies out there! Plus, lightsabres are such cool weapons...

I also must say that the Expanded Universe helps to expand everything in Star Wars. Characters, mythology...You'd further appreciate everything Star Wars if you've read the novels and Dark Horse comics. ;)

Anyone else liked the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games?

14. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I loved X-wing Alliance. It was a fantastic game, and I really didn't like the fact that there was no mission at the end where you psace Anton :mad:...

But still, a great game. I really like how you can fly heaps of different starfighters mentioned in the EU in it, such as the TIE Defender, Cloakshape fighter, B-wing, YT-2400, etc.

15. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    cloakshape? 2400? what version of the game do you have?

16. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
  17. Komodo

Komodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    The best thing about Star Wars, as far as I'm concerned, is that it can be deep if you want it to be deep and it can be simple fun if thats what you want.

18. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I used to hate Star Wars. That was yesterday.

Today some old guy came up, waved his hand around like a weirdo, and said "You will love Star Wars."

I love Star Wars...

I love Star Wars...

I love Star Wars...

[face_plain] :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

19. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The mystique, complicity, and adventurous nature of the characters and plot.

20. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Its cool.

21. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    It's action-packed and super-funny1!! Also, Leia and Padme are fine!!!! The sword fights are cool and the space ships are cool. It's all cool!!! It's also realyy cheesy and I love the cheesy movies they ar e hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    I love Star Wars because of the overall story
    and its sub-plots, the characters, the music, the special effects, and it has something for everyone.

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes, the music. How could I forget? Some of the best music ever scored by the legendary John Williams.

24. RangerPrincess

RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002

I just love the whole theme of it. :D

--RP

25. Ktulu_Terumo

Ktulu_Terumo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    The concepts and characters.

True, the story is not such a big deal, due to the fact it's a mixture of several stories and mythology.
    But the concepts created by Goeorge Lucas are great.
    1. The Force
    2. The Jedi
    3. The Ligthsaber
    4. Characters like Han Solo and Lando Calrissian

But the greatest of them all is Darth Vader, the true example of what a villian is, killing his own followers if his orders are not followed.
    If it weren't for Darth Vader, I wouldn't like Star Wars that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.