main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why Do You Love/Hate Where You Live?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mortimer Snerd, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    1. I love where I live in the summer.
    2. I hate where I live in the winter.
    3. I'm really glad I don't live in the American South.
    4. I hate Florida, I could never live there.

Where do you live and why is it awesome/horrible? Where would you NEVER want to live?

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Summer: I have a pool. Yay! Of course I love where I live in summer. [face_dancing]

Winter: Shoveling snow. Blech [face_sick]

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    1. I love our new house because I can see my old home in Philly directly across the river from the end of my new street.
    2. I hate it because it means I moved to New Jersey.
    3. That said, I'm really glad I do not live in the American South.
    4. I hate everywhere in the US below the Mason Dixon line and try to never even visit there.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I live on Earth, which is good because it has a breathable atmosphere. I could never live on Mercury because it does not, and that would be very inconvenient.

MrZAP, harpua, True Sith and 9 others like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I could never live in Florida, either... way too hot and humid, plus, Jesus rifles.

Colorado is awesome, because..... <3

[​IMG]

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Chicago has the potential for both terrible winters and summers. But I don't live there; I live in the western suburbs, in sort of more or less exactly a poor man's Evanston or Hyde Park, without the beauty of lakefront property or the cultural benefits of a nearby elite university. Instead, we live near the University of Illinois at Chicago, quite possibly the fourth best university in the state.

I'm from the American South but am also really glad I don't live there. I visit my relatives there often, which only drives the point home more.

I would never, ever want to live in California. I've never met anyone who lives there who--undeterred by overpopulation, unforgiving real estate prices and neverending drought--doesn't seem convinced that they are living in the best place to live on earth. I get the same vibe from wealthy Manhattanites, and I'd never want to live there either for the same reason.

I'm irked by that because of the "what are we, chopped liver?" Sears (no, Willis) Tower-sized chip we Chicagoland residents like to perch on our shoulders.

MrZAP and harpua like this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Being in the centre of the universe is great. The traffic is awful though.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Harps, I'd totally live in Colorado. I'd retire there if I wasn't already going to retire to Austria.

[​IMG]
    P.S. Why I'm retiring to Austria: here's the view out our back door

Rew, Coruscant and harpua like this.
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hate it due to the noise of my neighbors and too many people smoking (I am very allergic to all kinds of smoke, especially pot which immediately throws my lungs into allergic attack mode.)
    Dislike very rude people and unfortunately New York brings that out in almost everyone (raises hand, I can be a complete ass.)
    And finally the cost of living here... too expensive - I wish I could be out on my own, but that just is not happening on my salary.

Otherwise, I 100% enjoy New York. Love the seasons, the ability to do almost anything and discover any culture in the five boroughs.

I couldn't live in the south due to the humidity, tornadoes and the mentality of some folks.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

What I love about Los Angeles:

-The overall consistent sunny, non-inclement weather***!

-Great, great scenery (the ubiquitous palm trees, mountains & hills, etc).

-Wonderful diversity of cultures & so forth.

-The Dodgers & Lakers play here. :D

-The Hollywood Bowl.

-Universal Studios, and the overall connection to the movie & entertainment industry (including The Academy Awards, of course; even with all the problems/issues with that, I love the spectacle every year).

-The New Beverly Cinema

-"Quick" (depending on traffic) access to Disneyland & Knott's Berry Farm down in Orange County.

-The tackiness of the Hollywood sign being this city's most well-known & visible landmark.

-The strength of the talent on KFI AM 640, my favorite local talk radio station.

What I loathe about Los Angeles:

-Too much of the infrastructure is in terrible condition, which isn't a problem unique to this city, but still...

-The city government often does more ridiculous & stupid things than good/plans for ridiculous things. An example: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/us/a-los-angeles-plan-to-reshape-the-streetscape-sets-off-fears-of-gridlock.html]L.A[/url]. mobility plan 2035. It's one thing to expand the subway/Metro rail & bus lines, but taking away lanes from automobiles (still the dominant way in which people get around here), adding to the bicycle madness (more on that below) just doesn't feel or seem right; I don't think this is going to work the way they want it to.

-Bicyclists have too much freedom to ride in the streets; unless there's a stretch of road without them, what was so terrible about using the damn sidewalks? The roads ought to be for automobiles/buses only, man. Too many times I've witnessed bicyclists holding up traffic, or a bus trying to get to a bus stop. Also, in some sections of the city, new bike lanes have been installed, including this stretch of Reseda Boulevard that me & members of my family travel frequently:

[​IMG].

Part of that 2035 mobility plan is to turn more sections of busy streets into something like that. Yikes.

-http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-la-county-sheriff-corruption-scandal-20150514-story.html]The[/url] L.A. County Sheriff's Department can be rather awful too much of the time, as can the LAPD. Again, not problems unique to this city, but...

-***Although I don't mind living here in the Valley, the oppressive heat during certain months of the year (as it's hotter here than other sections of the city) can get annoying. The only bad part of the weather. :p

-Public transit has come a long way in 20+ years, but a lot more can be done.

-Certain anti-smoking bans are annoying.

-Something rather trivial, in the category of "this would only bother me": New street signs like this have popped in some areas of the city:

[​IMG].

Holy crap, that looks so tacky. A look more suited for a theme park, not a city street.

-Certain housing & rent prices are, well, too damn high!

-http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/04/07/skid-row-in-los-angeles-a-city-within-a-city]Skid[/url] Row, and the overall homelessness problem here isn't something to be happy about, obviously.

VadersLaMent and Debo like this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

1. I live in Hayward and work in San Francisco. I love where I live because the weather is really never that extreme. The winters are mild with average day temperatures of 49.8°F (9.9°C) and the summers have low humidity and are also mild with average day temperatures of 71°F (21.6°C). There are many great places to eat that range food trucks to Michelin stars restaurants. Additionally, there are many wonderful places to visit that's not too far from where I live, like wine country, Silicon Valley, San Francisco and the Pacific Ocean. Currently, the area where I live claims the NBA and MLB Champions and between the two NFL franchises, 8 Super Bowl Championships . I like the diversity of cultures and the interactions between them and therefore that isn't any major racial problems.
    2. I hate the grid lock traffic, high cost of living and constant threat of a major earthquake.
    3. I'm really glad I don't live in Syria.

MrZAP, darthdrago and Coruscant like this.
  12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I love living where I live (rural Michigan), but the fact you have to drive everywhere because there's no mass transit might turn some people off to living here, not to mention the fact the only shopping you can really do is at places like Wal-Mart and the dollar stores (Family Dollar and Dollar General).

I would hate to live someplace really hot, because I kinda like the cold weather.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    After living in Philadelphia for 2 months -
    1. I love the train because I can avoid driving/traffic and it's convenient.
    2. I hate the train because it takes an hour to get home, sometimes it's hard to find a seat, sometimes a smelly or fat person sits next to you, ...
    3. I like our apartment complex as utilities are included, gym membership is included and there is no additional cost for parking.
    4. I hate our apartment as they deal with Hotwire Communications (not Comcast for some weird reason), and the internet sucks. The cable signal is weak as well. It's bad in the gym as well which is annoying because you're trying to pass the time while working out on the elliptical and then you lose connection.
    5. I love working in the city as I'm close to a lot of businesses and really good places to eat.
    6. I hate working in the city because of the cost and the 8% sales tax.
    7. I love that there are more opportunites for entertainment i.e. we're going to see Kumail Nanjiani tonight.
    8. I hate that there are more opportunities for entertainment because cost.

I haven't experienced a winter here yet, but I know it's something I'm not looking forward to, but I do have the capability of working from home, but so do a lot of people in IT, so I'm guessing with everyone and their brother hitting the servers during a bad snow storm, it's going to be a **** show and I'm not going to be able to get anything done.

Coruscant likes this.
  14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Love:
    beach is 10 min away
    quiet neighborhood, but going out to bars/partying stuff isn't too far away if need be
    most friends are in the area
    there are jobs here
    music culture here is great

Hate:
    It's LA, it's a hellhole
    It's awkwardly really hot then cold the next day
    Everyone in my neighborhood is a rich privileged POS that shops at whole foods in their lulu lemons
    There's an OCD garbage truck that loudly goes by my window just to make noise every 10 minutes on Mondays and Thursdays. Even if it already empties the trash it comes by again to double check.
    Most things are overpriced
    I have seen so many dead people
    Homeless people are too common and drugs are way too easily accessible

I guess I'd never want to live in the deep south or something.

Coruscant likes this.
  15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No no no no no. Get the bicyclists off the sidewalk. I've been hit by bicyclists and skateboarders so many times on the sidewalk, because for some reason they think that they have the right away and won't slow down or move over, so they just hit you instead. Or maybe they're just not even looking. If you don't have the stones to ride your bike on the side of the street where it belongs, or there's no bike route for you, don't ride your damn bike. There is a reason why they aren't supposed to ride on the sidewalks.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've had issues with them on sidewalks too, and as terrible as that can be, I think it's more of a hazard for everyone that they're on the roads so often now. Using the sidewalks may not be great, but it's, to use a cliche, the lesser of two evils... from my point-of-view, anyway.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You make a really good point. Note how quickly this thread was overwhelmed with California talk.

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Fires. :(
    When you live near to Yosemite.
    Beautiful area but we got too many fires and evacuations.
    Two days ago they needed to evacuate more than 30 houses.
    We two big fires at the same time.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I love it because:

It's has a lot of the perks of a city without the extreme negatives.
    The pace is pretty slow
    It's surprisingly cosmopolitan
    The Philbrook Museum; a gorgeous Italian villa turned museum

[​IMG]

Has an amazing garden, amazing architecture, a wide-ranging art collection from Renaissance to post-modern and has exhibitions come through on everything from Robert Rauschenberg to trompe l'oeil.

The Circle Cinema, an arthouse, indie theater that's been in the current location for over 75 years; it shows indie films, documentaries, foreign films; most of the films I review in the movie thread that make you go, "Where in the world did he see that?" I saw at the Circle

An amazing theatrical scene, in which I get to participate; The Drunkard plays every Saturday night and it started in the fifties; it's the longest continually running theatrical production in the United States and I've performed in it! History! I'm in it! :p

Good location; not even three hours from Wichita, around six to Dallas, less than ten to both Houston & Amarillo; those are all really cool places.

What I hate about it:

Summers are brutal, occasionally in the triple digits
    Like I said, there's a surprisingly cosmopolitan bunch around here, but, yes, way, way too many ultra-conservatives
    Even though we have a great indie theater and a great museum, I wish we had more in that vein - some places just have an embarrassment of riches

20. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    It's great where I live, because it's lush and it has a rich history, culturally and for me personally.
    It's not so great because I have to share it with other people, who make sounds and take up space.
    I would never ever live anywhere else.

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    its okay. relatively short distances so i bike to both work and school.

too cold. its september and im running out of winter clothes to layer.

22. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I love where I live because it's close to Downtown Charleston, a great town that negates all ya'lls opinions of the American South. We've got a great city life that doesn't overwhelm. It's the perfect blend of history, REALLY good food, beautiful architecture, and scenery.

However, not only are we a tourist town, we're a college town as well (Am I the only one who finds those kids unbearably pretentious and punchable?). Heaven help us when the cruise ships come in. We also flood so bad you can canoe down streets. Can't really comment on the weather. I was born and raised here so it's normal for me. I thought winters in Virginia were annoying enough. I'd take my Southern summers over nasty winters any day.

Rew likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love the scenic aspects of this state.

I hate the "Minnesota Nice" phenomenon. There's no such thing. It should be renamed as MN Passive Aggressiveness.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Coruscant like this.
  24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

This is where I live (and work, my office window is the second from the left on the top floor on the central yellow building).
    I love living in a town with four distinct seasons, where I can take a swim in one of the lakes on the way to work in summer and go skating and skiing in the winter.
    I love that it's a small enough town to be pretty relaxed, but big enough to have all the services and stores that you need.
    I hate that it's so small that there are limited chances to meet people that share your interests and so far away that I need to travel at least three hours for events in connection with my hobbies. (also three hours to the closest airport)
    I could never live in a place without proper winters.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Obi Anne, as we both well know, the phrase "I could never live in a place without proper winters" is sour grapes code for "I wish I were good enough to live in California."

Coruscant likes this.