main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why do you think Anakin wanted to become a Force Ghost?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BobaFett99, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't quite see how what you described relates to Yin-Yang.

I would likewise like to know more about that quote from the Force-Cast.

Also, having thought about it, I think you might have a substantial argument about the Force - while consisting naturally of both light and dark - has more light than dark. But then again, given we are to consider dark consisting of both death and destruction, in nature I would argue it would consist in equal form with the light. I guess we don't have enough information on the matter to draw any conclusive conclusions (I think their is a featurette on the Blu-Ray were George talks about the nature of the Force).

I think all we know for sure is that the Sith are a cancer impeding balance and that their destruction brings the Force into balance. And that Anakin is the Chosen One.

I would argue, in regards to the Force-Cast quote, how can the Dark Side be a cancer. It is indeed natural. You can't destroy fear, you can only control it. Furthermore why would Mortis be created to specifically counter-act that argument.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree.

Thanks. But regarding the Force-cast quote, where did you see something about it mentioning the dark side being a cancer? I've heard that before elsewhere, but I didn't see it in the quotes here.

3. Dando_Jast

Dando_Jast Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't think the Sith disrupt the possible dark side/light side balance BECAUSE they are followers of the darkside, but because they actively try to destroy the light side of the force. Not to say the Jedi don't try to vanquish darkness, but they don't actively try to commit genocide either.

But more to the thread topic,

Anakin redeemed himself, let go of the dark side and was finally at peace with himself and the force. I think that peace between him and the force allowed him to be a force ghost. Also, I don't think choosing to be a force ghost makes him unable to "go to the other side" or whatever and even if it did, Anakin probably felt a pretty deep responsibility to look after the children he abandoned on accident, due to the fact he thought he killed their pregnant mother by being a complete tool.

4. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I believe the poster mentioned that that particular method of though (non-Yin-Yang) involved the dark side being a cancer. I assumed he was paraphrasing what was said on the Force-Cast.

This is a matter of interpretation. I think most theories however assume the 'Sith cancer' is not created by the Sith merely existing, but rather through their actions or specific amount of power.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's actually a good point. Specially considering the EU.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Sith have been likened to a cancer; the same thing could be said about the unusual growth in the dark side which is caused or abetted by the Sith. However, it is not accurate to use that analogy to refer to the dark side itself in its natural state. Force revisionism tends to misrepresent the cancer reference to imply that the Force can exist without the dark side, which is not the case. The Force has sides, and the dark side is a natural part of the Force; we have Lucas quotes to confirm these facts if necessary. The balance is a situation which can be characterized by yang and yin. That's why a yin-yang symbol appears in the clouds in AOTC, and why it appears later during Mortis, and why Lucas has used that very phrase in his own references to the Force. Taoist thought, as seen through the lens of Joseph Campbell's The Masks of God, is one of the acknowledged influences on SW.

7. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    Yin-yang symbols in the clouds in AOTC? Whilst I cottoned on straight away to the symbolism of Coruscant being shrouded in clouds and fog, I've yet to see any literal symbols in the clouds.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXnGA61Rrk&p=0BB0F226A8B03389

9. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    Ahhh, I see. Well spotted.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    This.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Though I'd love to be able to take credit for finding that, it wasn't me. Someone else pointed it out a while back. [face_peace]

12. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    Don't the Jedi try to kill any Sith they encounter? Obi-Wan killed Maul, Anakin killed Dooku and Mace tried to kill Palpatine. In TPM they say that the Sith were wiped out 1000 years ago. Given Maul's comment on revenge it seems that the Jedi were respinsible for the near extinction of the Sith back then.
    Then we have the prophecy which basically says "ALL Sith must DIE!". So the Jedi have in essence orders from God to hunt down and kill ALL Sith.
    So the Jedi have in the past tried to kill all Sith and now they even have a divine command to do that.
    Sounds a bit like genocide to me.

Regards
    Nordom

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    But the Sith are actively trying to destroy the galaxy, civilization and all that is good. If the Germans didn't surrender in World War II and began a gorilla war in the Bavarian Alps, would it have been 'genocide' to continue the war against them until they surrendered? Its not like the Sith were some peaceful order of monks the Jedi didn't like. They kind of tried to enslave and destroy the galaxy. Seems justified to preserve liberty, democracy and freedom.

14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    To answer the original question I think that Anakin didn't necessarily chose to become a Force Ghost but wasn't angry when he became one.

And about the debate on the Dark Side. George Lucas said at some point that the Jedi were symbiotic with the Force taking but giving back. The Sith on the other hand were like a cancer, taking and never giving back.

15. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    One poster seemed to say that the Sith are actively trying to kill ALL Jedi, in a way genocide but that the Jedi do not do the same back. My counter was then that it does seem like the Jedi DO actually try and kill ALL Sith. So both Jedi and Sith are trying to wipe the other out. Sure the Sith are very much bad guys and do lots of harm but and the Jedi are justified in fighting back against those that try to kill them. But say that Palpatine actually had surrendered and been taken prisoner, what then? Since the prophecy seemed to say that ALL Sith must DIE the Jedi would have to kill him, even if he offered no resistance.

Second about Germany, they did surrender and some of their leaders were put on trial. Some were executed, some imprisoned and some were freed, they were not ALL killed.
    But if the prophecy calls for the death of ALL Sith everywhere then surrender means death as the Jedi can not allow the Sith to live, even if he or she reamins in prison for the rest of his or her life.

Have the Jedi ever captured a Sith? And what would they do if they had? Given Yoda's comment that the Dark Side is forever, trying to redeem the Sith does not seem to be an option for the Jedi. So is it death then? If the Sith knows that they will never get any mercy from the Jedi then in some ways their fight is to preserve themselves as they know that the Jedi WILL kill them if they are captured.

Regards
    Nordom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.