main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Anakin seem surprised when Padme tells him Obiwan knows about us on Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Anakinhot24, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakinhot24

Anakinhot24 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    Hopefully, this has not been posted before but this line has been bothering since I saw ROTS. When Padme speaks to Anakin on Mustafar she says, "Obiwan knows about us!" Anakin replies, "US?!" The way he says the line is very intriguing to me. He almost acts surprised but on the other hand it like he doesn't care. He doesn't seem upset about it or anything. Any comments about this?

2. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Anakin is defiant towards Kenobi.....resents him for embracing the Jedi ideals and being considered "the perfect example of a younger Master Jedi".

3. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    Anakin has gone beyond the point of no return. As a result, he no longer cares what ObiWan thinks. He's on his own now.

4. KILLER-CLONE

KILLER-CLONE Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    This is slightly off-topic but I think the shot where Anakin says something like "As far as I'm concerned the Jedi are evil!" during the duel, is very powerful. The look of confusion and sadness in his face shows just how mixed up Anakin has become.

5. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    "US" ? , there is no US Padme, only Me. and my new powers, ;)

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    No, he seems a little upset.

Remember, he's not far off from saying "Obi-Wan is trying to turn you against me"
    "I don't want to hear anymore about Obi-Wan"

7. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I thought the "us" was phrased
    to emphasize
    what Anakin did not say:
    "or you?"

8. jediknightFerusOlin1

jediknightFerusOlin1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2005
    Anakin doesn't care about obi-wan anymore. he doesn't see him as his mentor and friend, but as one of the jedi that he has to destroy.[face_tired]

9. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    It's the beginning of his mistrust of her position. He's wondering if she told him and that would mean that she has begun to betray him.

10. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    It's kind of like a "we don't need anyone's help" line. In a way he was trying to say "what does Obi-Wan knowing about us have to do with anything?" and in another way, he's saying "did you tell him because you don't trust me anymore?"

11. rbarcia

rbarcia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2002
    what about the smile right after when Padme says, he wants to help us.

Anakin seems to grin at that point. I wonder what the grin means? Does he think for a moment that Obi wan wants to join him?

12. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Anakin is stupid. How about that?

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well of course Obi-Wan knows about Padme. He's known she existed for over ten years. What he DIDN'T know existed was a romantic relationship between Anakin and Padme. When Anakin says "us" it's because he's suprised Obi-Wan knows. Which is why Padme's reaction is, "Obi-Wan knows about us."

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  14. AnikaAnakin

AnikaAnakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2003
    I interpret that as a very condencending smile, liek he thinks Padme is really stupid in her belief that Obi-wan can help them, like he feels Obi-wan is worthless and can't help anyone.

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I figure Anakin is just suprised and ashamed. Now Obi Wan knows not only about Anakin turning to the darkside/murdering younglings/destroying the jedi order, but now he knows this whole time he's been married.

He doesnt look like a very good Jedi,and I guess now he realizes theres no way to go but straight,and if Obi Wan has anything to say about it, He'll kill him like he did with everyone else.

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    "Every single Jedi, INCLUDING YOUR FRIEND OBI-WAN KENOBI, is now an enemy of the Republic"

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, Yoshifett, but in the very next scene Anakin says he can only hope Obi-Wan has remained loyal to the Republic. He's holding on to just a bit of hope that he can still call Ben a friend.

18. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    That's his way of concealing his true sith agenda from Padme. She would not understand why Ankain suddenly betrayed all the Jedi.

19. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005

I like what someone else said...He thinks that Obi-Wan is too stupid to help them...or Padme's suggestion is so stupid he cant help but smile at her stupidity...sorry about using stupid so much ;)

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] So random...yet very opinionated...

20. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Absolutely intentional irony as well [face_mischief] You're telling me you've never seen a random and highly opinionate post on TFN before? It was meant as parody.

Bingo.

21. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Just seeing something so *blunt* and *frank* was just a shock becuase most people try to conceal their dislike for a certain character by using the sandwich theory...name something good and then something bad, and then something good again...

It was pretty funny...[face_laugh]

22. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    lol Anakin lover...I was just being silly...I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Actually, truth be told, I love Hayden as Anakin, especially in ROTS...
    "This is the end for you, my master"

23. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Seriously yoshifett? I thought you were one of those people that bashed Hayden/Anakin non-stop...I guess I looked to deep into your "He's stupid" comment ;)

Hayden did awesome throughout the movies, but for me, he *truly* shined in the scenes on Mustafar...just brilliant...

"LIAR!"

That was a huge adrenaline rush for me...

24. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Seriously, Anakin_Luver I'm so glad that George cast Hayden as Anakin. I really like his performance. Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I can't really think of any other actor that could have played it as well, and I think he was 1000 times better than little Jake Lloyd.

The thing is, I love Star Wars so much, that I love all the characters, the whole world that's been created. I don't bash. I may gush though :)

25. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think that he was sort of surprised that Obi-Wan was still ALIVE to even know about "us". He had assumed that Sids had followed through and had all of the other Jedi taken care of. He knew Obi-Wan didn't "Remain loyal to the Chancellor". He was saying that to patronize Padme, not because he actually thought that Obi-wan wasn't going to get whacked.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.