main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does AOTC Obi-Wan look older than ROTS Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JEDI-MASTER28, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-MASTER28

JEDI-MASTER28 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I just watched AOTC, and boy...does Obi-Wan look older in this one compared to the pics I've seen of him in ROTS. When he and Anakin are in the elevator in AOTC at the beginning, you can really see what I'm talking about. Even the way he acts in that scene...seems old. Anyone else notice this?

2. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

More to the point, why does AOTC Palpatine Look MUCH older than ROTS Palpatine.

3. Doctor_SuperJedi

Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Botox-effect. ;)

YODA: Fallen... to the Botox-side, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Chancellor Palpatine have...

ANAKIN: This is all Obi-Wan's fault. He was always jealous of my good looks. He's holding me back!!

YODA: No, young Skywalker! Do not give in to your master's fate, young and good-looking enough you already are... hmm... yes.... young

ANAKIN: Alright, this is just getting weird.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I do not see how he is supposed to look older in AOTC. Watch the photos of ROTS. His hair is partly grey!

5. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Ya, Obi not only looks older in ROTS than he does in AOTC, but the actor that plays him actually IS older.

In ROTS, he's startin to get a few wrinkles. His hair is goin a little grey. He is developing a receding hair line.

It's little things really. At first glance, maybe the reason you think this is because his hair is shorter and cleaner.

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Actually, I think it's opposite. I think the shorter hair gives Obi Wan a more mature, older look. Albeit, it really shouldn't be that big a deal, considering it's only a three year difference between AOTC and ROTS, so he really shouldn't have that much of a physical change anyway. Anakin merely looks a bit older because Hayden put on some of the muscle mass he needed to play the role.

Keep in mind, as well, a kid as difficult as Anakin is in AOTC would make anyone go grey early. ;)

7. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    You have a good point! ;)

8. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Even the way he acts in that scene...seems old

we didnt see how he acts in ROTS though ;) i think we should wait till we see the movie to speculate about this...you have a good point..but i would like to see the movie 1st

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Also, I think a lot of the bits where you think he looks older in AOTC, like the elevator, are the result of the horrible wig and fake beard reshoots Ewan was involved with. He looked older than his own AOTC self there. And did act a bit different, older-seaming, for whatever reason, during the elevator reshoot and in front of the night club.

10. JEDI-MASTER28

JEDI-MASTER28 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    That is exactly what I'm talking about. In the later parts of the movie like on Kamino, he seems younger looking. Must have been what you said.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, he tends to seem older when he's around Anakin because he's usually all tense, worried, and giving lectures and whatnot. He seems a lot more 'himself' when he's away from Anakin. Like he's not as stressed out and such an old foggie :p

I also think his hair in RotS makes him seem more mature. It's not so... grunge :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I just think it's stupid we can't say WT#, but there's threads filled with people talking about condoms, penis', vaginas, breasts, hymens, pics with nearly nude women, drug use, alcohol use, etc around.

Hey, I didn't say that I thought that, I was just trying to rationalize his opinion.

I think he looks older on all accounts.

13. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    the palpatine question seems more pertinent. the real question is, why did obi wan have a mullet?!

14. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I have an even better question: why does Count Dooku in ROTS look soooooooooooooooo chubby? 8-}

15. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I think solojones more or less nailed it. Obi Wan seems older partly because of the reshoot makeup, but also because he acts the part of an older individual around Anakin. It's that dual nature that most adults display - authoritative around youth, while more relaxed and personable around their peers. Anakin misbehaves and disobeys him enough as is - and Obi Wan is one of the few people he honestly admires and cares for! Can you imagine what a pain he would be if Obi Wan allowed himself to be more carefree and indulgent around him? Obi Wan seems older because Anakin forces him to act that way, both in part due to Anakin's stubborn, reckless nature, and the natural tendency of growing adolescents to chafe against their parental figures. Notice that once Anakin starts maturing during in the Clone Wars and becomes a knight that the chemistry between them changes to be a more at-ease brotherly bond then a strained father/son relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.