main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why does Destroy=kill in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SenatorJarJarBinks, Apr 8, 2014.

1. SenatorJarJarBinks

SenatorJarJarBinks Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2013
    I've noticed "destroy" in Star Wars often means die/kill..for example:
    "if you will not be turned, then you will be destroyed"(Emperor ROTJ)
    "Only your hatred can destroy me" (Vader ESB)
    "Don't make me destroy you..." (Vader ESB)
    "We have just received word that Obi-Wan has destroyed General Grievous" (Windu, Revenge of the Sith) [admitedely Grievous is a droid though]),
    "that's why you couldn't bring yourself to destroy me then..." (Luke, ROTJ)

"There is not logic in the federation's moves here, my feelings tell me they will destroy you." (Qui-Gon, PM)
    "
    Grievous and Dooku have been destroyed." (Emperor, Revenge of the Sith)
    It goes on....
    I don't think people normally use destroy in this way in English. Why do you guys think Lucas wrote the script this way? Why not just say kill?
    Do you think it has some meaning to it in the series?

darth ladnar likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I suspect it is meant to imply they are not simply dead but no longer relevant at all and he wants us to dismiss them like they never existed. Not happening with Cushy. I empathise with my fave dead chars thank you.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It may simply be that Lucas likes that word.

(Also, Grievous is not a droid but a cyborg).

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think it's just to add emphasis by using a rather dramatic word in certain cases, plus it's not like the word 'kill' isn't ever used:

And so on.

5. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Indeed. The word does add further emphasis. Although I wouldn't necessarily consider it overused.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Destroy" is definitely more formal and melodramatic -- which makes it a perfect word to use in Star Wars.

Also, it's normally used by the Force-powered heroes and villains, and usually when they feel like being extra inciteful or persuasive.

One (dictionary-sourced) meaning of the word is "to do away with; put an end to". The word brings extra weight to both the process and the imagined or actual result.

Either that or there's a problem in the translation matrix. One word can always rupture and become two. "This is getting ......... out of hand ............ now there are two of them."

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    hen I hear "destroy" Ii am thinking of explosions involved in the demise of said person,and material damage involved..but that may just be me and my time in Afghanistan ....let me tell you though I had some weird reflections on who actually was the evil empire in this case and who was the underdog rebels fighting for freedom..:( and I went in very very committed,I was the idealist ,but I digress..

"Destroyed" as I know it refers to destruction of a unit of men structure, denying veichle or other transportation used by the enemy

darth ladnar likes this.
  8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've heard "destroy" in other movies and TV shows.

Such as kid shows. It doesn't seem as dark as "kill" I suppose.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Actually "destroy" is commonly used in place of "kill" in many child-marketed cartoon series. At least in the 1980s it was very common. You'd always here it in the old GI Joe cartoons as well. There might've even been a rule about it for kid shows. For some reason "destroy" is seen as a less violent, scary term for the same thing. Lucas might've just picked up on that tendency.

10. patbuddha

patbuddha Jedi Grand Master

Feb 3, 2002
    I also think it's a touch to make this seem like it's a different enough culture. It's why kids are "younglings", poison gas is "dioxis", and pistols are "blasters". Also we have "blast it" as a substitute for "damn it" or "wizard" in the place of "awesome". It's why being called a "nerf herder" or "Bantha poodoo" is some kind of insult or that "poodoo" is a substitute for fecal matter.

11. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Maybe they were "destroyed" but not killed!! Smear campaign on social media, rogue applications to interfere with their credit status, embarrassment in front of their peers...they were "destroyed"!!

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "Destroy" seems like a word that sci-fi villains would seem to employ a lot.