main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does everyone call Ventress "Assassin?"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Glymphid_Warlord, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Seriously, it's kind of stupid IMO. Everyone seems to call her that, and it's not her name. We understand that she's an assassin, but even more so, a Dark Jedi. I found it kind of funny that Argyus was calling her an assassin before she even killed anyone. :rolleyes: It's just getting annoying. Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    If you seen the way she fought in Cloak of Darkness, she relied on cunning and guile, instead of a straight on fight...sort of like a ninja, who are known assassins.

It doesn't annoy me, per se, the Sith have many designations, including Sith Assassin, so I assume that's where her title came from.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Impressive...but I'm not looking for a spy." ;)

It's a derogatory description most of the time. You're not a Dark Jedi, not a Sith a Apprentice, you're not an assassin.

It also helps convey to newer viewers who/wnat Ventress's purpose is withon the whole Jedi/Sith dynamic.

4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    She's a female Darth Maul

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    except not nearly as powerful

6. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    How is she a female Darth Maul?

And the reason why they call her assassin I imagine is because she is not officially a Sith. I think it's stated that if Sidious found out Dooku was training her to be his apprentice that would have dire consequences, so for now she is just Dooku's "assassin". Plus that's the kind of job she does, assassinations :)

7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Assassinations? Shoot, I was gonna guess something to do with the posterior/gluteus maximus/rear end. :p

To solve any possible confusion, I think the situation is Sidious knows Ventress exists. He knows Dooku trains a bunch of people to use their anger and encourages their training to kill more and more Jedi.

However, Dooku might be trying to train Ventress in specific SITH teachings on the side, secretly from his master. As there can only ever be two Sith active at a time, Dooku can never train Ventress in more complex techniques of the Dark Side...at least not openly...

8. MvG-88

Oct 25, 2008
    Well now that I think about it it's not crystal clear.

How much does Sidious know about Ventress? He obviously knows about her seeing how he expressed doubt over her in Cloak of Darkness, yet a lot of sources say if Sidious found out about her "consequences would be dire". Dooku is obviously training her to become his apprentice, as he says in Cloak of Darkness "You must prove yourself worth of being my apprentice". I'm guessing Sidious knows about her but not that she is being trained as a Sith, seems a bit messy :confused:

9. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    well sidious had led dooku to believe that they were going to destroy the jedi order and create a new order of sith/dark jedi with dooku and sid leading it...

so just to make the plan look plausible and believable to dooku palps let dooku train vetnress as a sith...

and sidious had nothing to worry about anyways because he knew ventress was weak and was a non threat to his power...

10. MvG-88

Oct 25, 2008
    Hmm, the Star Wars databank offers two versions of Ventress one obviously being the "new" Clone Wars and one from the old. In the one for the animated series it actually states

Though she was not officially a Sith apprentice, Ventress had clearly been well-trained in the arts of lightsaber dueling and Force manipulation. If Dooku's Master, the terrifying Darth Sidious, ever found out about Ventress' "education," the consequences would be dire for both teacher and student.

So I guess that explains it, at least for me ^^

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Because she assassinates people? That's my wild stab in the dark.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Why does everyone call Ventress "Assassin?"

Just to make it a little more ridiculous, me thinks.

13. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    I believe in a time of war if you want to win, be willing to accept the unconventional. How many Sith Lords let there apprentices have an apprentice? Maybe none. How many Sith Lords have ever teamed up with the Jedi to take over the galaxy? I know he then killed them but its still pretty out there. Palpatine handles himself in a very open ended manner on almost everything, this would seem no different.

The Jedi call her assasin as a huge negative, they say it insultingly I would imagine. "No good assasin"

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    Its because she has a great assASSin.

Ventress is Hot!

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess "assassin" just seems fitting because she's so creepy-looking. Although in all honesty, someone who's gained so much infamy can't be called an assassin anymore.

Also, I stick much closer to the Dark Rendezvous and Obsession plotlines where Dooku never intends to make Ventress his apprentice.

16. Remud_Starkiller

Remud_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2007
    Was it ever explicitly stated that either Argyus or Gunray knew Ventress's name? Maybe it was just "assassin" for lack of a better term.

17. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    One thing that doesn't makes sense as far as Sidious not knowing of Ventress's training: He's the Supreme Chancellor. Wouldn't he have at least heard of the Dark Jedi/Sith-like assassin running around? Obviously we know Anakin probably would have mentioned it to him (what with their close relationship and all), it just seems naive of Dooku to think it could be kept from Palpatine. I'd rather believe Sidious knew of it and just let it go. Perhaps Dooku thought he was pulling a fast one, but I'd like to give him more credit than that. Or perhaps it's something that may come up within the series.

18. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Assassin is a better term than Sith Apprentice.

In fact, I'm not sure how Ventress existence doesn't contradicts the movies. It is clearly stated that there is a Rule of Two, where there is only one Sith master and one apprentice.

Yet Dooku, has an apprentice.

I guess we can semi-explain this because both Anakin and Luke tap into the darkside before becoming a Sith apprentince (at least in Anakin's case). But that was a "seduction phase". That's the best way I can explain Ventress.

I just hope she gets killed off soon.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, and I think that a)the creators of the show are walking a thin line continuity-wise, and b)Dooku is walking a thin line Rule of Two-wise. ;) Once Sidious finds out that Dooku has ever hinted at anything more than "assassin-hood" for Ventress, or once Ventress realizes she must challenge Dooku in order to move up in the Sith chain... she'll probably be dead one way or the other, and probably killed by Dooku in either case (per Sidious' command to Dooku, or in a duel between her and Dooku).

20. MvG-88

Oct 25, 2008
    I've always seen it less as a law of physic and more of a technical inconvenience. The nature of the Sith is to overthrow and back stab each other so the easiest way to solve it is to only have two of them where one is clearly more powerful than the other. Still they try to destroy each other, like Palpy and Vader both try to lure Luke to their side of the darkside.

21. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe she Assasinates certian Jedi, however she was chosen by Count Dooku to kill Anakin Skywalker.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There's usually a third, or a potential third. In the beginning of ROTS the third is Anakin. In TESB/ROTJ it's intended to be Luke. And in EU we know about Vader's apprentices.

23. batsy2

batsy2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2008
    i'm with this guy i love the junk in the ventress trunk

24. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Yes, I basically echo this right below that original post.

25. GenitalGrievous

GenitalGrievous Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2008
    Huh? Wait, didn't one of these two get sliced in half by a Padawan Obi-Wan during his second outing, and the other one survives five seasons (in theory) of encounters with multiple Jedi opponents during wartime, including a more mature Obi-Wan and the Chosen One in his prime (again, not hard to assume that she and Anakin will meet in future seasons, since he can't fight Grievous)?

I'm guessing you're basing your POV on some comic where Maul, with his bared tattooed torso, was revealed to have some great power? It doesn't show in the movies.

But in TCW footage that we've seen so far, Ventress basically lives up to the promise of Maul before his death, with the addition of a personality. Since TCW might as well be called "Prequels: the Animated Series," she plays the Maul role very well. She has led groups of Droid armies. She rocks a mean double-sided saber on occasion. Great fighter, mysterious, driven, dark. The difference is that she actually has enough brain cells to deliver dialogue and at least complete one mission correctly (deliver Gunray). Maul died like a mute bitch on his first week on the job. I don't even think he made it to Wednesday.

She's everything that TPM bashers whine about Maul NOT being. Plus, we're just getting to know and love her in the early episodes of this cartoon.

To put it simply, Ventress>Maul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.