Why does everyone call Ventress "Assassin?"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Glymphid_Warlord, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Really? Even though Maul nearly took down two Jedi, and Ventress can't even handle a Padawan learner?
  2. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Maul beat Obi-Wan in the duel and was then killed by the plot.

He also killed Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the Jedi Order's most skilled masters.

And lets not forget that he was battling Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the same time for the vast majority of the duel. I don't think padawan Obi-Wan would have stood a chance if he and Maul had both gone in fresh for a one-on-one encounter.

Whether Ventress, a mere dark Jedi, is up to par with Darth Maul, a Lord of the Sith, is up for debate. (See here for example)
  3. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, I think that Maul was pretty darn skilled to be sure, though Ventress is no slouch either. My personal view is that they're about equal, and that Asajj is sort of the Separatist counterpart of Obi-Wan/Anakin, but I'll try and compare some things...

-Their infiltration abilities might more or less be equal. Ventress might have some piloting skills as she was able to dogfight with Anakin while he was a padawan in the old Clone Wars cartoon (unless people don't think it's canon)
    -Maul certainly has more comprehensive Sith training, which probably gave him a better understanding of Sith tactics and the Dark Side. Ventress probably has inferior training from Dooku in the form of her patchwork Dark Jedi training
    -Maul and Ventress both practice unconventional fighting styles, Maul using the vicious Juyo (pre-Windu Form 7) and Ventress using Jar'kai and probably Makashi, though she proves able enough to stomp clones. Maul might have the edge here as he is overall more driven to pursue physical perfection, plus, he practices martial arts. Ventress, however, seems to have a wider range of skills (most focused on infiltration and assassination), plus she can use her weapons in three different ways (four if you count the sabrechucks of battlefront 2 XD)
    -Ventress is probably more devious than Maul and might be able to tip things in her favour if she has knowledge of a fight. Even when fighting Luminara, she resorted to dirty tricks which, even if it doesn't translate to superior skill, might mean she is more likely to get results. Compare her detonating a building Jedi are in to Maul entering the building and attempting to fight the Jedi, for example
    -Qui-Gon is tough to judge. On the one hand, he IS one of the order's most skilled swordsmen even when slowed by age. However, it should be noted that he focused on Ataru. The terrain, combined with his old age and the duration of the duel, probably contributed to his death, as he had no room to move and had to defend Maul's attacks. Some might argue he was so exhausted after the duel on Tatooine because he was taken by surprise. I'm sure he would have at least survived if he had room to maneuver, but who knows?

Make of that what you will, Ventress is here to stay. I'm sure she's really quite skilled. One way to measure her prowess would be if she dueled Plo Koon, who was a peer of Qui-Gon and probably a close second in the sabre. XD
  4. MvG-88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I wouldn't say Asajj and Maul are similar... at all.

Both are darkside force users, both are bald and tattooed an bot use a double bladed lightsabre. But the similarities end there. Maul was the obedient Sith apprentice, he was raised and trained in the Sith ways to succeed Sidious. Asajj is one of Dookus tools, trained in the Sith arts to serve his purpose of either double crossing Sidious or just being a tool that he plans to get rid of when her job is done (don't know which one is the correct, haven't read any EU and even if I did, CW seems to have a different take on it ^^). Also Maul was calm, focused and obedient, he doesn't need to prove himself. Asajj is impatient and aggressive, eager to prove herself, thirsting for power. All in all I'd say they are close to each other's opposites.
  5. vw_jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, she's not Sith or Jedi. And she is usually sent on missions that require her to eliminate a few people to get the job done.

That being said, I also believe when it's said directly to her it's used as an insult.
  6. LawJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I think they serve pretty similar roles, except that Asajj actually has a personality. Plus, she seems to do a pretty damn good job of standing up to Jedi Masters, like Luminara and Obi-Wan, while keeping Ahsoka at bay.
  7. Fettclone1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good thread here. I like how different traits and abilities have been analyzed.

Also, I agree with the two v's on this one (rather appropriate o_O ).
  8. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    Ventress just has that evil look to her, so "assassin" is fitting. Also, having Argyus address her as "Dark Jedi" would just be a mouthful to say.
  9. Darthrevan4ever Force Ghost

star 6
    Assassin is fitting for her
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.