main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does everyone like to bash on BP Jacen?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RogueJedi234, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueJedi234

RogueJedi234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Jacen may have been a total wimp in Balance Point, but he had some good points. If someone besides Luke had listened to him, maybe some of the other Jedi would have heard his ideas and it would have helped. Maybe it could have even calmed Kyp down. I mean, I don't want to critisize Luke, but up until after Balance Point he just sat and waited for the action to come to him. Any thoughts or are all of you just going to beat me down for saying this?

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Jacen was dumb. His inaction got many killed.

3. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Jacen needed the Embrace of Pain he's getting. Turn him into a man.

4. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Amen Lord_Darth_Bob...don't look at me people, I didn't give any spoilers away

5. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    That's funny, at least Anakin got to be turned into a man the "other" way...

It's a joke! Only a joke! :D

6. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Yeah but we all agree he got the better end of the deal. :D

7. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Good post, RogueJedi, and I agree (as is probably more or less obvious by my handle, ne?). Although I wouldn't call BP Jacen "a total wimp." Jacen may have stepped down temporarily from the use of the Force and his path as a Jedi in Balance Point, but he never stopped doing his part in the war against the Vong. The people who criticize him never seem to notice that even as Jacen was taking the time to figure everything out, he tirelessly worked to help with the refugee effort, and still fought--even without the Force--when it was necessary. And did a good job of it, too.

All of Jacen's hesitation and uncertainty may have been frustrating to read for some people, but there's no reason to fault the character for it.

8. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    It's really a shame Denning only left out that scene due to page constrant. It would have been really great character development for Anakin and Tahiri.

I'm sure that it happened, "between the chapters" though. :D

9. RogueJedi234

Jul 17, 2002
    I will admit that he needs the Embrace of Pain, but all that philosiphising he did will probably come into play here SOMEWHERE. I'm pretty sure it will. AND NO I DON'T HAVE THE BOOK. ok, whew, got that out of my system.

I know that i cannot spell, and if any of yous corrects my spelling, i will glue spoons all over your body with hot glue! [face_devil] :D

EDIT: Hey i kinda posted late, but thanks B_P. it's nice to see that ppl are on Jacen's side too

10. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I don't rag on BP Jacen really. I just don't find the ending of the book to be all that epic, and Jacen's defenders do. *shrug*

JMA

11. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Jacen never abandoned his responsibility to defend and protect. What a Jedi should always be doing. With or without the Force.

And I agree, Jacen had plenty of good points :)

12. RogueJedi234

Jul 17, 2002
    I just wanted to say that I started this because I was reading a certain thread and saw all of these people complaining about him and it royally ticked me off. As Balance_Point said: He may not have used the force but he still fought. Sorry if i insulted anyone

13. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I didn't really have a problem with Jacen in Balance Point. The only part where I disliked him was when he stopped Anakin from using Centerpoint in Jedi Eclipse.

14. RogueJedi234

Jul 17, 2002
    The stopping of Anakin wasn't bad, it was more of the fact that Sal-Solo ended up fireing the dumb thing. If I were him, I porbably would have had some reprecussions about shooting it too

15. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I think that the Centerpoint debacle is what did it for a lot of people. My vote is still out on him until after the NJO is over. But my opinion will probably change a lot after T.

That book has a odd abreviation: T.

16. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    You could try the abbreviation TR instead, it works pretty well.

17. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    I think that the Centerpoint debacle is what did it for a lot of people.

It nailed the lid on the coffin for me. Hard to redeem him in my eyes after that little incident.

JMA

18. RogueJedi234

Jul 17, 2002
    I guess I just kinda took the Centerpoint Debacle in stride... I didn't really trust the Anakin OR Centerpoint at the time anyways..... so i guess it was easy

19. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    I didn't really trust the Anakin

THE Anakin? Kinda like The Rock?

peopleseyebrow.gif

;)

JMA

20. RogueJedi234

Jul 17, 2002
    [cowering in a corner] please don't hurt me..... i didn't REALLY mean it. ok maybe i did but still...

I guess I didn't see Anakin as being as mature as he was when he went on the strike mission. some of that maturity was reached during his quest to rescue Tahari and the subsequent mission with Corran.

Remember, don't correct the spelling or else there are spoons and hot glue in your future

21. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Why dont like him? Because he was a babyish crybaby who is selfish enough to only do anything when his mum is in trouble, and manages to see Kyp's Dozen saving as many as possible before the Vong took over as "Grandstanding" (believe they were the words).

22. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Once again I agree with the Reaper...

I can feal my soul slipping away...

Or that could be that cheese...

23. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Because he was a babyish crybaby who is selfish enough to only do anything when his mum is in trouble

Come now, RF, don't you think you're stretching things just a bit?

Jacen never shys away from his responsibility, with or without the Force.

When Jaina and Jacen are faced with a choice at one point to either listen their mother's orders to go find their father or run back for her, Jaina obediently agrees. It is Jacen who obstinately says "We must do something," or something to that effect.

And so he remains behind for Leia. Then when he wants to go out and save her right away, Balance Point notes that the Force tells him to "wait." So he waited for his moment.

24. JadedSkycrawler

JadedSkycrawler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2002
    Actually, with the exeption of Jacen's whole not using the force idea, I thought that Jacen was pretty likable in BP. His whole "How many of you does it take to kill someone you call coward" was pretty cool. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.