main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why does everyone love The Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Tala Que, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tala Que

Tala Que Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2013
    Okay, so I think I'm pretty much the only person that doesn't love The Clone Wars and likes Rebels more. I'm curious as to why so many people love TCW so much, because for me I can only see the inconsistencies and plot holes the series creates when you relate it to the PT. I love the characters, especially Ahsoka, but most of the episodes along with several characters contradict a lot of key plot points in the PT (not that I take much from the PT very seriously, but still...). Also the whole thing of the series being out of order really bugs me and just makes the whole thing feel like it was thrown together one episode at a time without any pre-planning (sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine).

So what is it that you all love about the show so much? I'm genuinely curious and want to understand why this show has such a strong following compared to Rebels.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Making it out of order was clearly intentional. That's simply the show's format, it jumps around in space and time from arc to arc, or episode to episode. This is very different from Rebel's linear, single-viewpoint narrative.

As for contradictions, the only major one that actually goes against what's in the films is that whole weird 'Separatist leader neutrality' thing that came up from time to time.

TCW is certainly a much more ambitious show that Rebels, largely due to it's increased budget. It expanded Star Wars as much as the films did, while keeping up a variety of plots and characters. It sucessfully weaved multiple plot arcs together over long periods of time. Rebels' is much more formulaic in comparison, there have been so many infiltrations of Imperial bases in it's short run. Rebels' also has a problem with one-upping it's villains constantly, with replacement villains that also achieve nothing.

The return of characters from TCW has largely been in vain, besides Rex and Hondo, who function basically as one would expect. Ahsoka and Maul's potential was just wasted utterly though.

3. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    I love TCW because my true love Lom was introduced in this series.
    But I even haven't watch all episodes, to be honest. Just can't stand a weird looking raccoon chick in stripper's clothes.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You're not.

What "key plot points" does it contradict?

It had a wider distribution, it was a bigger production, it had George Lucas' involvement, it retained the scope and storytelling of the movies and there was (and still isn't) anything like in on CG-animated television programming as far as technical quality goes.

5. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    *raises hand*

I'm one of the few vocal ones. Nice to meet you too.

6. I like Clone Wars but I do not love it
    The problem of Clone Wars is that there are many problems of continuity and there are many plots that are boring like the Jar Jar or Padme Chapters

I prefer the Clone Wars mini series in 2D

7. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    huh, I would ask why the OP liked rebels more, but I guess thats against the spirit of the forums...or something...is there even a place to debate Rebels and TCW?

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    TCW had characters that people really connected with. Not just Ahsoka, Anakin and Obi-Wan; but the clones in particular. They gave faces and names to them; where the movies pretty much ignored them. I rewatch the full series annually and never get bored of it.

fett 4 and J7Luke like this.
  9. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I like Rebels better too. That being said, I really like TCW when it´s at its best (Maul, Ventress, the Nightsisters, etc). However, I think there is a little of a bias in the judgement of Rebels from some viewers. The critics are mainly that the protagonists feel very safe, the villains are ineffectual and there are few losses in the Rebels crew. However, every episode with a movie created character in TCW was equally predictable in the future of the lead character; the villains had very, very little triumphs against Anakin, Obi-Wan and the rest, and where equally ineffective; and the main character´s death were very few in total.

Other argument says that there are few original characters in Rebels and that it´s impossible to actually care for them: I have to disagree. Just as TCW used (and sometimes greatly developed) movie characters, Rebels has used TCW original characters in order to give a sense of continuity to both series. That, and to make use of the OT era where the story is being developed.

I think the main point is nostalgia. Just like I like Rebels best because it´s set in an era that far more interesting to me that TCW´s era (because I grew up with the OT) other fans would like TCW better because it was something that made a mark on them early on. Now some of them can demand a more mature material from Rebels, but in a few years kids growing up with Rebels with get vocal in their support, I think, because there are very, very good things in that series too.

All in all, I think both are really good series. Both have weaknesses too, no doubt, but personally I find both greatly enjoyable and an excellent way to expand the Star Wars universe. Which one is better suited for your taste is up to you alone :D

MrDarth0 likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I was born the same year that ANH was first released, and I still like TCW better than Rebels. It's all a matter of taste.

fett 4 and Vialco like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    1. Better animation. George bankrolled Clone Wars himself and insisted on the highest quality of graphics and sound for it. Disney by comparison is rather chintzy, and the evidence is definitely visible between the two shows.

2. Better storylines. Ahsoka became a mature and likeable character within a couple seasons. We're done Season Three and Ezra remains an immature child.

3. Better villains. Dooku and Grievous aside, we got Maul, Savage, Talzin and even Sidious. Rebels gave us Vader, a bunch of second-rate Inquisitors and a blue-skinned art lover that Ezra could have killed twice, if he just had the guts to act.

I have more points, but it's getting late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fett 4 and Snafu55 like this.
  12. cookeycat

Nov 17, 2016
    She became an obvious Filoni's pet and OP "goddess".
    Ezra is much better than Ahsoka. At least he is not "third wheel".

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    No, he's just a moron. How many times did Maul manipulate him in Season Three?

15. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    Did you like Hard Contact or the rest of the Republic Commando series? It was the first to series to give clone troopers in-depth personalities.

16. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don’t think that is the case for everyone.

I grew up with the OT, I’m not really a fan of the PT, and I started with Rebels before I bothered to check TCW.

And at the end, I liked TCW more than I liked Rebels so far. I think both shows have flaws, but TCW has just more strengths than Rebels. There is something about the dynamic of Anakin/Ahsoka that they were not able to replicate with Kanan/Ezra; Obi-Wan and Yoda in TCW feel more like interesting mentor characters than Ahsoka in Rebels; Ahsoka in general had a more fulfilling character development in TCW than Ezra is having in Rebels; Ventress was a far more interesting anti-villain than Kallus (and I do like Kallus); the stories had also more alluring premises with more ambiguity and unpredictability than the tiresome black-and-white picture of Empire vs Rebellion in Rebels; the show-created villains were just more memorable than the Inquisitors in Rebels (except for the Grand Inquisitor, that guy was awesome); the side-characters - well, TCW just exceeded at making them memorable too, while Rebels hardly tries.

And yeah, the concept art and animation from season 3 onward was just fantastic.

I still like Rebels and there are a few areas where they do it better than TCW (particularly dialogue and humor; also in Force-related plots) but in general, I liked TCW more.

fett 4, Ithorians and MrDarth0 like this.
  17. cookeycat

Nov 17, 2016

ok (^・ω・^=)~
    Ezra is not a flawless "god" who can do no wrong and defeats all the enemies.
    I don't say he is perfect, but he is better than Ahsoka. yes.

Not Appropriate In The Slightest.

18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    cookeycat

I'm going to warn you that your comment was in no way appropriate for our forums and to please keep things family friendly in the future regardless of how you feel about a character. Do not repeat your behaviour again.

TetsuAero and Vialco like this.
  19. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I'm guessing you did not watch TCW then, because Ahsoka had several episodes where she did do things wrong. Like the first of the Ryloth episodes where she looses most of her squad due to her cockiness. In season 2 there was that Alderaan episode with Aurra. Then there were the Lux episodes. I don't recall season 4 dealing with Ahsoka much. But lastly there were the episodes where she was framed.

Maybe Ahsoka is a fanservice character to the female audience. Like Starkiller and the Fetts are to the male. Your argument lacks ground though.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I can name far more than just a couple of characters in the SW universe that are clear fanservice to the male audience.

Offhand I couldn't recall the names of the episodes, but I know there were plenty of episodes that didn't even involve Ahsoka that I really enjoyed in TCW. I certainly liked the episode arc involving Pong Krell, for example.

21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    TCW is a great show, but I do not understand why the timeline is messed up in the beginning. I just watched the show in episode order, because I didn't feel like hopping around.
    As to why everyone likes it so much, and even more so than Rebels, other posters have pretty much answered it for me. It has a bigger budget than Rebels, and expanded major characters from the films by putting them front and center. Also, TCW has a galaxy-wide conflict with a concrete war. Rebels is about to start its last season, and the Galactic Civil War hasn't started yet.

22. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    It was meant to be like the Young Indiana Jones series, with events taking place at random times during the Clone Wars. But from a production stand point it was a good idea, as the animation department was completely new and they started from scratch. Which means they got more time to develop techniques and assets before putting down a timeline.It is also more effective to catch the casual viewer's attention, as an event of the week episode is more easy to follow for them than a story heavy series.

MrDarth0 and Darth Dnej like this.
  23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I agree completely, it would hardly be a valid observation when generalized. It´s just that I do get the feeling that some elements are ignored by some fans (not all). For instance, I agree that Ventress was a very interesting villain... but I have to acknowledge the difference in context between her (that had 5 seasons to develop herself, with plenty of clones to kill and establish her as a main threat) and the Inquisitors, that get described as weaker villains, but only had 5 episodes (not seasons) to show themselves and it was always in the perspective of the Rebel crew. Not that you don´t do it, by the way! I say this because I have been watching recently their episodes in season 2, and I honestly find those episodes up in quality to anything TCW delivered.

Now, if we say, "yeah, but that´s because TCW dared to present us with episodes from the antagonists perspective and Rebels mostly haven´t" I agree 100% percent. I think Rebels sorely needs some more episodes like "Through Imperial Eyes". This is more important to me than the "x villain didn´t even killed a main character" critic to Rebels: neither Ventress, nor Dooku, nor Grievous did that (unless you count Talzin in SOD) and Sidious main victory was against Maul and Savage, not the protagonists. Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, in that way, gave me a pretty close feeling to "winning most situations with a hand tied behind their back" that Rebels gets mostly criticized for, but for me it´s just part of the narrative.

On the other hand, I do get the feeling that the rebels have been underdogs all along, to the Grand Inquisitor, to Tarkin, to the Inquisitors, to Vader, and now to Thrawn. Only Kallus, they really seemed to be able to deal with. So I was really referring to some elements in Rebels that are mostly part of the "kids show" logic above everything else... I have no doubt that one can like TCW better being an OT fan. I actually enjoy TCW a lot most of the time!

La Calavera likes this.
  24. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    I actually meant the book series about clone commandos from 2004-2009

25. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Already have been answered, but The Clone Wars developed their characters a lot faster, if not in one season then in the next season. Rebels is pretty much fanservice and does not develop all of their characters as it is in it's final season. The Clone Wars actually shows you the love GL has for his Star Wars and audiences, while Rebels shows you Disney cashing in as much as they can.

Vialco and fett 4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.