main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Why does everyone want to go back to Jakku?" - A Desert Planet and the Ways of the Force

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Flex Madine, Aug 26, 2016.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

I could get behind that.

Seeher likes this.
  2. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003

Perhaps it was "the will of the force" that brought Rey to Jakku to bring balance?

3. Jedi danny

Jedi danny Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 20, 2016
    I like this, I don't think Snoke was a spirit though. Maybe carbon frozen.

4. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012

I agree with Jedi danny here...I'm personally not a fan of re-incarnation or possession theories in Star Wars. Mainly because it eliminates personal moral agency, which I feel is a major theme in the saga. It wouldn't bother me if Snoke was in a deep freeze on Jakku or if Gallius Rax were to somehow be corrupted on the planet.

I'm also not thrilled with the idea that Rax becomes Snoke. I don't think it's necessarily wise to have Snoke's 'reveal' be contingent upon a novel that a very small percentage of movie fans will read. Imagine in Ep. 8 or 9 that someone refers to Snoke as Gallius Rax - 95% of the audience will be left scratching their heads...

5. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    Maybe held in eternal stasis as it was common in this predori ship from Life debt.
    I don't think Rax is Snoke. I think Rax serves Snoke and lured the fleet to Jakku for him. Maybe Snoke used the energy which left those dying during the battle there to come back to real life. and gain power. Maybe in Empire's end we'll find out, that Leia was also lured to Jakku. The battle has likely taken place when her baby was born. Maybe Snoke took possession of baby Ben's spirit at that time.

I also have a theory that Snoke want's to repeat such a sacrifice on the whole galaxy to absorb even more life energy and become god-like. Kind of Vitiate/Nathema=Jakku/SWTOR story.

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Personal moral agency is indeed a huge theme in the saga. But there's no reason the saga can't explore the phenomenon of people losing that agency. Extreme cases here on Earth, for example, involve child soldiers recruited into the LRA at a very young age. Their personal moral agency is stripped away early on. And, of course, there are variations of that extreme across different circumstances. This is not as universal a theme, I would say, but it's an interesting exploration of the human condition, and the nature vs. nurture spectrum.

7. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I don't think the name Rax is ever going to turn up on screen. But I could somehow see an ambiguous ending for him in the last book, where it's possible he has some tie-in to Snoke but nor anything that would be mandatory reading for VIII or IX. Aftermath contained nothing remotely pertinent to TFA, so it would be odd if the next book had any amazing scoops.

That said - the seeds being planted for Jakku's backstory are unmistakable.

8. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Jakku or Rakata Prime = Zonama Sekot?

9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I really, really like this theory.

The only thing I can bring up to put a minor dent in it is the line from the novel - "I'll be back for you Sweetheart." (I may not have the phrase exactly as it is written in the novel but the understanding is there along with the "Sweetheart")

EDIT: oops sorry about the DP.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  10. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    So what do we know (that's canon) about the Imperial Research Facility on Jakku? Are there some people thinking that this is the site of interest that Sheev tells Gallius to watch over?

From SW.com: http://www.starwars.com/databank/jakku

"During the final years of the Galactic Civil War, Jakku was the site of a secret Imperial research base and served as a jumping-off point for warships heading into the Unknown Regions."

Wookiepedia also states that this research facility was located on Carbon Ridge (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carbon_Ridge). Could this facility have any connection to the Sitter (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sitter) described in Rey's Survival Guide?

I just haven't heard much about this Imperial Research Facility besides the fact that it was (or still is) on Jakku during the Battle of Jakku. I'm guessing we'll learn a lot more about it once Empire's End comes out.

11. HostofJakku

HostofJakku Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2016
    " served as a jumping-off point for warships heading into the Unknown Regions. "

Maybe there is an Infinity Gate on Jakku, and palps found it???

12. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    Palps thought he got his power from the unknown regions and sent explorations there. Snoke is from the Unknown Regions where he was watching the Empire rise and Fall. The Empire fought to the death to defend Jakku. The Church of the Force has a settlement on Jakku. I like this gate idea.

13. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I interpreted the research base as ground zero for whatever Sheev was looking for. And that the Battle of Jakku was a result of the Empire taking a last stand to defend that base at all costs no matter what. That part seems to be more or less decided

But how is it that a little girl with enormous force sensitivity wound up on that same planet with the only goal in life being "WAIT HERE and NEVER LEAVE"? Maz has already confirmed that Rey probably was given bad info. Who gave it to her and why?

Rickern likes this.
  14. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I only hope it won't turn into another Syfo Dyas fiasco.

Darphus_Mon likes this.
  15. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    Per description in Life debt, the building Palps has set up beneath the sand was on the Plaintive Hand plateau, a place described with bent, flat stone.
    Sounds like some kind of satellite dish to me. Maybe Palps was able to receive signals from the unknown regions there. Maybe the receiver is still intact and the dark force signal is still streaming?

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    There's definitely something special about Jakku. The crawl makes a point about Lor San Tekka discovering a clue, and if one is to take what is technically said in the wording, it implies that he had found information somewhere on Jakku that leads to the first Jedi Temple. Lor San Tekka and his group of followers look somewhat like an archaeology team, if you ask me. Maybe after many years of searching the Galaxy and finding nothing, they probably ventured to Jakku to research some ancient Jedi temple hidden there that was discovered by the Empire years before. The First Order knew that Lor San Tekka found the location of Ach-To, and probably having surveillance droids patrol the site at all times, they were alerted to the old man's findings. This all makes sense if you think about it, and it explains why the Church of the Force was camped on Jakku, too.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Jakku is the new Tatooine. A new desert planet for a new hero. Familiar but different. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the extent of the planet, and they move on from there. It's a starting point.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think it's more than that. The War was fought over it, and so that tells me it held some importance. An Imperial base, no doubt, was placed there. Whatever type of base of operations that was assigned to it will probably hold a key as to why the war was brought there. I, myself, think it might have been some sort of excavation site, which is probably located and hidden somewhere deep in the desert. It's probably a clue as to why Rey was left behind there, too. I'm guessing Rey's parents might have been scavengers, and something happens on Jakku for them to leave their child behind in such haste. Maybe Snoke (an ancient, evil despot long thought to be dead) was discovered to be living in these buried ruins, and that knowing the Rebel Alliance would want this bit of information reported to them, they left Rey behind to warn them. Maybe the Empire discovered their attempt to leave and warn the Alliance and destroyed their ship before it could leave the system. Whatever the case, I believe that Rey and Snoke are connected in some way, and this might be how they are.

19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I can't wait for Empire's End, I think we will get a lot of stuff to chew on before Episode 8. No doubt that Jakku is far more important than we even realize.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    When is it scheduled to come out?

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

I think February? It was slated for January 17th, but it was pushed back I think?

22. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    ALL things Jakku

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

after reading this, particular parts spring to mind - different possibilities revolving around current theories as to who Snoke is, came from, the process of Palpatine (and the importance of which he thinks Jakku is, was, and will be again), etc.

add to that Rax being born from Jakku, Rey too.

add to this some possible foreshadowing from Finn "why does everyone want to go back to Jakku?" (or something close to this) and we can see how Jakku is important.

now rather than saying that Jakku is simply a a jumping off point to get to the Unknown Regions, which we know from the Aftermath series, we also know from Rey's Journal and other supporting materials, some of the in-world theories surrounding the Battle of Jakku (the inhabitants that created a currency from scavenging from the aforementioned Battle) i would like to start the thread off with discussing some of these in-world theories to which there is three, in regard to the whole reason why the Imperials fought so hard in the Battle of Jakku in the first place.

do you think we'll be going back to Jakku in the sequels?

if we were i would say it would be in large part to find an old 'weapons facility' or whatever it really is thats now known as Carbon Ridge, where a rockslide has smothered/covered whatever it is that the Imperials, Rax and Palpatine are related to - this may be in relation to finding out who Snoke really is, something related to Rey, or something else entirely. it could also be simply something that doesnt get touched on again, except maybe a supplementary material.. but how boring, right? ;)

23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It would be funny if Episode IX's final battle takes place there.

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Episode IX: Back to Jakku! (said in Finn voice)

25. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I voted Nah but then I remembered ... we did go back to Tattoinee in ROTJ and Luke kept saying how boring and remote that place was ... so "No ... but"

Big Boss likes this.