main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does Gungan appearance vary so widely?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EmperorAjay, Jan 31, 2016.

1. EmperorAjay

EmperorAjay Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    For instance, Jar Jar has eyes that protrude from his head..... while Boss Nass has eyes normally in his head.

2. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Im convinced Boss Nass isnt a Gungan, he just showed up one day in Otoh gunga and demanded to be elected leader of the Gungans and the Gungans didnt know what how to respond so they all panicked and made Boss Nass their leader.

Dinos4Ever and Defensor like this.
  3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I think Boss Nass has a special design to make him stand out from the rest of the Gungans just like how Poggle has a special design to stick out from the rest of the Geonosisians.

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    His eyes actually appear to be on very shrunken stalks, that are folded close to his face.

CIS Droid likes this.
  5. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It is like how humans' appearances can vary greatly, I just figured Nass is simply from a different racial group of Gungans, plus he seems to be obese.

Dinos4Ever and CIS Droid like this.
  6. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Maybe it's all the weight Boss Nass packed on... but yeah, I assume it's so he stands out among all the Gungans who are generally the same size

7. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    Boss Nass's appearance used to bug me too... until I realized those were his ears tucked behind his headpiece. Then it all made sense.

He's just a fat gungan with his ears pulled back. No issues with it now. Love the character design, actually.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  8. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

I love this idea. This is now my new headcanon.

CIS Droid likes this.
  9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Why do humans vary so widely? Some are 6 and a half feet tall, muscular, good looking. Others are 4ft tall, fat, and uhh... not good loooking...
    [​IMG]

Seagoat, Slicer87 and Ezon Pin like this.
  10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That is very common in fiction and even in real life to have leaders or commanders look different. Vader's TIE is a different shape so you can tell his apart from the other TIEs, Cody has different armor so you can tell him apart, etc. Doctor Who uses this alot too with Cyberman commanders having black head handles, cone heads, or clear domes showing off their brains. Dalek leaders tend to be different colors from the drones, or have extra stuff on their casings like the supreme Daleks.

Alexrd and CIS Droid like this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Seems to be pretty consistent:

[​IMG]

Boss Nass is just obese, like Orn Free Taa, with the respective physical consequences.

12. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Why does human appearance vary so widely?

Jo Lucas likes this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Because it doesn't matter if you ARE a giant bipedal frog thing with rabbit ears... the sheer Brian Blessedness just overwhelmed the computer programming.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Oddly enough his first name is Boss. That's not a title.

Just kidding. I think there is a tradition in adventure sci-fi fantasy of alien or mythical races having leaders who stand out from the rest of the group. Poggle the Lesser looks different from other Geonosians. Look at the Goblin King in the Hobbit. Even the Queen Alien in Aliens. I like it actually.

CIS Droid likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Rugor Nass is an Ankura Gungan and Jar Jar Binks is an Otolla Gungan. We saw more Otollas because ILM was mostly mass replicating Jar Jar's character model, with minor changes like see with Captain Tarpels.