main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Han disregard the force on Hoth?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by midthomp, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    When Luke went running for his snowspeeder, Han just tells him to be careful, no "may the force be with you" like in ANH. Their little conversation seemed kind of akward too, does he really want Luke out of the way so he can have Leia all to himself?

2. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Haven't you heard of the cut scene from Empire in which Han walks in on Luke in the locker room getting into his pilots uniform? Luke was butt naked except for a towel tied behind him, saying "I am Superman!" and holding his arms in front of him pretending to fly.

That kind of thing would have to be ackward as heck.

:p

3. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I don't know about the first part, but I always figured their awkwardness was because neither really knew just what to say. I don't think it had anything to do with Han wanting Luke out of the way, though. Perhaps it was Han who caused the awkwardness, since he's not used to dealing with emotions and stuff. So here he is saying goodbye to his friend before a big battle with the Empire, and he just doesn't know what to say. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still tired and just thinking out loud. :)

It's one of my favorite moments in the film, though, and I love the music during it. It's sort of touching knowing that it's the last time Han and Luke see each other for nearly a year until they reunit in JEDI.

4. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    The look that the two give each other before they depart is enough for me.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I totally agree with what Spacehunter and Naboo1 said. This scene is one of my favorites throughout the entire trilogy. Very touching...

6. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    That is one of the best examples of nonverbal acting. They don't have to say much, but their expression show how fond these two are of each other.

7. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    I agree. It shows that these 2 know each other well enough that they can tell what the other is thinking without saying a word. Actions speak louder than words and they knew what they were saying just by the eye contact. It was a great moment and it was great acting :)

8. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I agree that part of it is that Han is not good with emotions, and is unsure what to say to Luke, its like old fashion dads who don't know when to hug.

9. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    does he really want Luke out of the way so he can have Leia all to himself?

No offense, but this is just silly. You missed the point of the entire scene. Other people in this thread have summed it up nicely.

10. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    does he really want Luke out of the way so he can have Leia all to himself?

No offense, but this is just silly. You missed the point of the entire scene. Other people in this thread have summed it up nicely.

Yes, I was not too serious with that one. I was really just wondering why in ANH Han told Luke "May the force be with you" right before the battle, but he did not do it before the battle on Hoth, that and it seemed to me that Luke was expecting him to say it on Hoth too.

11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Well, Han said it to wish Luke luck, and was hoping to appeal to him emotionally, since Luke was being kinda cold to him. On Hoth, I always figured he was looking for something more to say to Han, but they both understood what the other meant by looking.

12. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "That is one of the best examples of nonverbal acting. They don't have to say much, but their expression show how fond these two are of each other.".

Exactly. Great scene.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe Han still didn't believe in the Force then. I agree that he'd only said it in ANH because he was trying to reach out to Luke. Maybe by the time of ESB, he felt close enough to Luke that he wanted to say something he really meant.

14. therebelforce

therebelforce Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    OK' this is from star wars: the annotated screenplay. "Luke nods, smiles, then walks on. He and Han have exhanged a silent communication, each wishing the other safety, happiness-many things, all difficult to verbalize."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.