main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does IG-88 carry an Imperial blaster?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithKiller, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithKiller

SithKiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2001
    In ESB he's got his long rifle, along with an Imperial issue blaster. What's going on here? I'm sure those blasters are especially for the various troopers of the Empire, so how did he get one? I don't think he killed a stormtrooper and took it from him, nor do I think he stole it when nobody was looking. My best personal guess is that they were out of blasters on the set, so they just said 'hey, let's give him one of these'. But realistically, if that's the case, he doesn't need an extra blaster. He's already got that awesome rifle, so what gives?

2. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Maybe he bought it off the black market, or found blue prints of it somewhere and built one himself?

3. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

well, IMO, if he somehow lost the rifle, then i think he might need the blaster.

he probably got it from the imperials.

4. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I thought the original IG series was built by the Imperials anyway. He probably picked it up on the way out of the lab. Well, what was left of the lab...

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. DarthCryptus

DarthCryptus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    who is IG-88?

6. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

he was a bounty hunter droid made by the imperials to help find Han Solo

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    He likely bought it.
    This isn't Star Trek where the government controls people's access to things, there's free emterprise in the GFFA. Blastech is allowed to sell the E-11 to anyone they like, and so IG-88 bought one. It's a very popular rifle.

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Technically heavy blasters like that are illegal to possess, but there are plenty on the black market where he could get it from.

9. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Actually...

[image=http://decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/dagobah/dark/images/ig88sneuralinhibitor.gif]

it's mistaken for an Imperial blaster rifle.

10. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Regardless of how the EU "fixes" things to make better sense, that's an Imperial blaster. If it was a dart gun, I don't think it would look the same as the Imperial rifle. That's just silly.

11. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I suppose the prop department ran out of time for the scene, then. Can't blame the EU for trying.

And it would be pretty lame if a bounty hunter were using the same issue rifle as the Imperial army.

12. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Yeah, you can't blame the EU for trying. But even if the prop department did run out of weapons, why does IG-88 even need a second gun? He's the only bounty hunter in the scene with two blasters, and as it was, his rifle was perfectly fine. Maybe this is why the latest IG-88 figure produced only came with the rifle.

13. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I remember the old Kenner action figure, and thinking how IG-88's short gun looked just like the stormtrooper gun.

That being said, I agree that it's not outreageous that IG would be carrying a weapon we see the stormtroopers using, too. Our military uses M-16s, and so do many civilians who go out, get a permit, and buy one. Why can't Star Wars be the same way?

Plus, considering there were six bounty hunters in that scene, I think the prop department did a pretty good job with the weapons. IG's short gun is the only gun we see elsewhere in the movies, if I'm not mistaken.

Boba Fett: Sawed-off blaster carbine.

IG-88: Stormtrooper blaster and long rifle.

Zuckuss: Double-barreled blaster.

Bossk: Some kind of long-barreled rifle.

Dengar: Man had a hand bazooka!

4-LOM: Had a giant hand cannon!

Out of 7 weapons total, only one was a duplicate of something else. Not a bad job!

14. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    He's a droid, why not have two blasters?
    Why would a western gunslinger have two pistols?
    Why would Fett have more than one weapon?

4LOM beat me to the M-16 thing. :)

15. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    I see it going two ways: it makes IG-88 look more powerful if he is lethal with a common blaster rifle, but it just seems a bit anticlimactic for a bounty hunter to use something that common. The whole 'resemblance' to a blaster rifle thing sounds cool.

16. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    it makes IG-88 look more powerful if he is lethal with a common blaster rifle, but it just seems a bit anticlimactic for a bounty hunter to use something that common.

It's only common to you because you see the Stormtroopers almost constantly.

Bring it back to Earth terms. IG-88 is a civilian that's walking around with a Millitary Issue M-60!
    The best other civilians have is a Browning shotgun or a .22 rifle.

17. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I don't get why there are anti/negative-EU comments in here. It is essentially an EU question, surely?

IG-88 doesn't turn to the camera and make an aside of "You see this E-11? I've got it because I nicked it off a stormtrooper!" and so it's not explained in the movie.
    Because it's not explained in the movie, it's invariably going to involve the EU. It if was explained in the movie, there'd be no need for the question :rolleyes:

Just an observation. ;)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    The problem with the EU explination here is that it's pretty lame.
    It's obviously an E-11 blaster that he's holding. For some reason the EU attempted to convince us that it's not, and that's kind of wierd.

19. Jade87

Jade87 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2004
    Hes caring tow weponds one in close combat and one long range killing

And EU dosent run ut of blasers
    Were did he get the blaser! I dont know just se it this way he killd a stormtooper right! :D

20. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Hmm. After reading this thread and hearing about the sawed-off guns and double barrels, etc, I suddenly have new respect for the Bounty Hunter scene. It really feels like an old western now. :D
    I also like how Zuckuss was essentially wearing a poncho ;)

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    So what if he has an Imperial rifle? Are you going to argue with him and say he can't have one?

22. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Phanton Menace said:

But even if the prop department did run out of weapons, why does IG-88 even need a second gun? He's the only bounty hunter in the scene with two blasters, and as it was, his rifle was perfectly fine.

Because IG-88 has no knees. The thing can't walk. He had to be wheeled onto the bridge of the Star Destroyer by stormtroopers using a furniture dolly. He needs extra firepower to compensate for the inability to ambulate.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    "Perhaps I killed an Imperial and took it from him."

24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Why does IG-88 carry an Imperial blaster?

Maybe he likes the way it feels! ;)

Evil.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, if it was going around with an E-web, then he'd have the equivalent of an M-60. An E-11 is the rifle everyone totes around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.