main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why does it seem like everyone is hoping against Finn + Rey?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SomeLoser, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    Seriously, it seems like this is the only ship that must never happen, why?

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I don’t know about that. There’s tons of “Team Finn/Team Jacob/Safe nice guy” fans out there.

A lot of the Team Edward/Team Ben Solo/Opposites attract fans also want the the added bonus of the Skywalker Bloodline to carry on and for all of the Skywalkers and Solos to not die in vain if Ben Solo can somehow find a way back to the Light and become a relatively productive person again.

If he does come back to the Light though I won’t be surprised in the end if his most selfless act is actually helping Finn in the end. Sort of the Rick from Casablanca move where he realizes the nicest thing for him to do is to help Ilsa have a happier life away from him and for her and the movement to thrive.

There’s also an equally passionate group who don’t want her to choose either in the end and for nothing more but friendship at most to he implied.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Maybe because biracial couples in cinema is hard to find. Jacob Black was a teenager, like Bella (while Edward is a 120 years old man), native american and cared about Bella... Until Stephenie Meyer decided to make every native american violent after their transformation.

Finn also cares about Rey and has more in common with Rey.

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    To be clear, I don’t know about the dynamics that made the vampire / werewolf YA saga one of the largest of all time and one of the largest books of the mid 00s in general.

That was just my take on it. I can absolutely see why Lucasfilm would be keen to move from father and son dynamics to the Star Wars equivalent of something like that to reach a brand new generation and an entirely new demographic of Star Wars fans though.

And it’s not like Star Wars isn’t rooted in pulpy soap opera roots. It’s just that Lucas chose the parental aspect of Space opera first and to make it first and the other aspects more in support. The ST has made some parental complications the support for Rey’s choices regarding these two men and the impact her choices will have on the galaxy heading into IX.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I’m not hoping against it per se, but I think there are a hundred other story-arcs and missing pieces that are more important. Finn+Rey is less important than: Rey’s lineage/destiny, explaining the political state of play of the galaxy, explaining Kylo’s backstory, explaining Snoke’s backstory, developing Finn’s character w/ regard to his identity as a Stormtrooper, explaining the legacy of the Jedi like was Luke really the last one?, having at least one scene where Chewie is an actual character like when he reassembled C-3PO, what happened to Lando, and I could go on and on. I just don’t really care either way about Rey+Finn at this point.

Brennan Marshall likes this.
  6. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Because them being in a romantic relationship doesn't really add to or change the story in anyway?

Current situation - Straight forward sweet best friends, who are willing to work together/save each other.
    Romantic relationship - Straight forward sweet lovers, who are willing to work together/save each other.

There really isn't much more they can do with this relationship since JJ decided to make it pretty simple and then Rian almost ignored it completely. Unless episode 9 really pulls something really big out the bag and makes it way more dramatically interesting, continue to keep me in the "sweet but meh" camp.

Brennan Marshall likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Everyone is allowed their own opinion. Lets leave it at that. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.