main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does it take Mods......

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deepbluejedi, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    like 5 days to lock a thread? After all the damage has been done, and all the flaming and spam.....then they show up. It just baffles me. I know they aren't online 24/7 and they have other lives too, but still. Maybe there should be more mods? I dunno......this will probably get locked anyways.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Could you give an example and tell me what forum?

3. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Hmm, I can't really think of a specific one off the top of my head. I spend alot of time in the JC so I notice it alot there.

P.S. This isn't a complaint.......I was just curious.

4. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    If you see a problem, PM a Mod. They can't be everywhere all the time 24/7, and therefore rely on members to notify them of anything wrong. This is also the holiday season, and many are busy with work, family needs, and real life.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Sometimes, there aren't any moderators online when a problem is happening. However, there are also many other times when an inappropriate thread or flaming gets taken care of almost instantly.

6. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    I know what you are getting at blue jedi you want to be a mod :p j/k it usually doesnt take that long to lock a topic for mods.

watch how long it takes to lock this one:p

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Five days? I don't recall ever seeing that, unless no one reports a thread.

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah, as stated above, the best thing to do is PM a mod if you see this happening. As hard as we try, we can't catch everything.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If the thread looks innocent on the outside, then it's the fault of the users, not the mods if it slips through the cracks.

10. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    On the contrary, it is our job to keep these forums clean. Sure, we may miss something, but there are always instances where we miss things.

As for checking threads, maybe this is my misconception, but it only takes a little while to skim through each thread in a forum to find "bad" things. As long as a forum is actively moderated (and it's to my knowledge right now that every forum is), there shouldn't be anything slipping through. And if a user sees a problem thread, if I'm not mistaken, the "Good Sumaritan Rule" is still in effect (see this Mod Squad update for information on it), so if you see a problem on the boards, don't let it sit there and contact a moderator or don't post in it and ignore it (though the previous is highly preffered).

It is implied in our job that we police the forums (though, there is that little clause in the TOS). For most forums, it isn't hard to go through every thread and find problems in them.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "If the thread looks innocent on the outside, then it's the fault of the users, not the mods if it slips through the cracks."

Um, aren't mods supposed to go into every thread (or at least as many as possible) to make sure all is well? Blaming the users if a mod misses a thread hardly seems like a good idea.

Amazing.

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Um, aren't mods supposed to go into every thread (or at least as many as possible) to make sure all is well?"

I try to go into every thread, just to make sure that everythink checks out. This is harder during the peak times, but if the boards are slow (like today), I can read just about every reply in the AOTC forum. I usually have a good idea which threads could become a problem, and I make sure to pay close attention to those threads.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Could the author please be more specific and identify a thread and forum? If not, this is very difficult to answer.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, Amazing, they should. I go into every thread in the Amp. My point is simply this: if a thread gets derailed and trouble starts and it's been five days or so and it hasn't been locked, then the people who've seen the trouble and haven't told the mods are just as guilty as the mods who haven't gone in the thread.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    This is just my own opinion, some posters on here seem to forget that mods are regular people posters too, it's just they some extra controls that we don't. They can't be everywhere at once, some mods have 2-3 forums at a time to watch as well as keep an eye on the others as well,also other duties they have to do as well.

They have to put up with a lot of pressure than most users, so please be patience an give them a little bit of time.

16. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "if a thread gets derailed and trouble starts and it's been five days or so and it hasn't been locked, then the people who've seen the trouble and haven't told the mods are just as guilty as the mods who haven't gone in the thread."

I don't fully agree with that. Yes, the users should take the initiative and PM a mod about it.

However, to say the regular users are just as guilty is ridiculous. The mods are here for that very reason, to make sure threads don't get derailed and to stop trouble before it gets out of hand.

Amazing.

17. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    How long is RMCOY going to be on vacation? I just noticed he's wearing red and his profile doesn't say "moderator" any more. ?[face_plain]

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, it's akin to me walking down the street and seeing someone breaking into a friend's house. I watch it happen and don't call the police.

Who's more to blame? The police exist to stop things like that, right? And they're supposed to be cruising the streets looking for trouble, right?

But the heavy blames lies with me for not calling them, doesn't it?

19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I think that's a bit of an extreme example and a gross exaggeration.

Mods don't just "cruise the streets," as it were. They can enter "houses" and right there is a whole history of everything that's ever taken place in that "house." Police can't do that, nor anything remotely close to it.

Amazing.

20. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I agree that normal users need to take responsibility in reporting problems that they witness but I have to say that I have never known an instance where an incident has gone on for several days without the mods becoming aware of it and taking action. IMHO the author of this thread should give a specific example or examples to back up his arguement or apologise to the mods.

21. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Rogue, little advice....the police analogies never ever work. The reality of being an online mod is a lot different to being a RL policeman, and the comparison always fails. Dont worry though, it happens to the best mods...I've even seen Vert try it.

DarthKarde, there was an incident months back where the Misc forum had a troller of some sort. The threads were obviously trouble, just going by the titles...yet nothing was done for days. It turns out that the mods hadnt even bothered going into Misc at all. It forced the administration to get proper supervision, but still....this sort of thing happens.

And I dont think that its the fault of members if an infraction happens and they dont report it. Members dont know if someone else has contacted a mod (and if someone has, perhaps then the mod has decided its ok), members dont always know if there are any concrete rules that have been broken...some members like the sheer rebelliousness of it all.

Ultimately, the mods are the ones that have to take responsibility for maintaining the boards and threads. It comes with the job.

22. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Dagsy...
    "Ultimately, the mods are the ones that have to take responsibility for maintaining the boards and threads. It comes with the job."

I agree with Dagsy to a point on this matter. The first line of defense of these boards are the users themselves. Part of the terms of service for using the Jedi Council is that you follow some very specific, clearly-outlined rules. Each user has the responsibility to do so, and the vast majority do.

When there is a problem, that first line of defense has therefore failed - someone has very obviously ignored or willfully abused their responsibility.

That is where our job comes in. And we do ask for and appreciate the help of everyone else, especially those who feel such posts may be inappropriate. There actually is a certain level of encouragement expressly given by the Terms of Service to a user who feels another user's post is inappropriate to contact a moderator, as :
      "Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us. We have the ability to remove messages and we will make every effort to do so within a reasonable time if we determine that removal is necessary."
    Many times, but not all of the time, I've witnessed users simply flaming the problem poster, or replying to a problem post instead of taking the time to notify a moderator.

In lieu of responding to a problem post, if you get there before a moderator does, contact a moderator and let them be the ones to do so for you. That's probably always going to be the best course of action.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Much as I hate too, I think I'll drag Mr. Webster in here.

Analogy: a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based.

Mods do not = policeman. They are, however, analogous to them. Policemen are a body set to inforce rules. So are mods. Therefore, they have a similarity (read: one, which is all that is necessary for an analogy).

There is not a single analogy that cannot be picked apart when we start thinking in details. Police have some duties that mods do not and vice versa. This means the analogy is faulty? No, only that it is limited.

Besides, you're looking at the wrong thing. Forget comparing the mods to the policemen. Think on this: If I see someone doing something bad, do I have a moral responsibility to do something about it?

I guess it all depends on how you answer that question, which is, of course, one of the great questions of the ages . . . Do you shut your eyes to evil or try to help stop it?

Whatever. . .

24. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Why does it take Mods......
    like 5 days to lock a thread?

You should've been here half an hour ago...then you would've seen some speed...

25. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    That was entertainment, folks. I had no more reloaded this page than there was a new thread that had already been created...and locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.