main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does it take the Death Star so long to be built?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthOrion, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthOrion

DarthOrion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2003
    When we first see the plans for the "Ultimate Weapon" (aka the Death Star) in ATOC that's about 23years before it's actually used (3 years between ATOC and Ep. III and 20 years between Ep. III and ANH). So why wait? I get the feeling that in ANH the death star is somewhat new just off the assembly line so to speak, because if it had been around earlier I think the galaxy would really be terrified and be even more under the clutches of the Empire(actually tarkin says that they will "test it" on Leia's homeworld of Alderraan (sp?). So, Alderraan becomes it's first unsuspecting victim. So what do you think happened? Of course this has a lot of this may be explained in Ep.III, but just take a guess.

2. Master_Sidious

Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2003
    I'm going to say that its because building something the size of a small moon might take more than a couple months.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Who said they started building it right after AotC? They still had a long ways to go with the plans, all they had was the basic idea.

4. IliveinHoth

IliveinHoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2002
    Palpatine probably wanted to avoid doing anything so overtly powerful, until he had a tight grip on the galaxy, remember he waited another 23 years to completely dissolve the senate.

5. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    You can't just build a moon-sized hunk of metal. And remember, this is their first try, and there was probably alot of trial and error stuff. The second time around, they knew what they were doing so it only took a few years.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Resources is the answer you're looking for.

Money
    Time
    Manpower

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That and the design was not yet completed.

What happened after AOTC? The plans go to Coruscant where Bevel Lemelisk is ordered to complete the design along with other conscripted scientists. After the design is finished the Death Star prototype is constructed, then and only then does the actual one begin construction over Despayre.

8. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That's assuming Episode III doesn't contradict any of that.

:p

9. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Very true.

Oh, and all of that is from the EU and how the time period between AOTC and ANH concerning the Death Star are concerned.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I know. I'm just giving you some grief.

11. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I know. ;)

I forgot to say that it was from the EU, you know what can happen sometimes when one forgets to say that around here. . . :p

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That's right. We hog-tie them.

[face_mischief]

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    What did the EU ever do to you? :p :p

14. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I think THE ESSENTIAL CHRONOLOGY says the Death Star began construction four years before ANH.

15. --Darth_Vader--

--Darth_Vader-- Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2003
    That sounds about right.

16. Vader322

Vader322 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    it took us about 20 years (i think) to build all the buildings NYC so to build a space station the size of a moon would be harder to build especially in the middle of a war. I live in staten island,NY and whenever i go to the city i think "This is Courascant of real life". it pretty much like it except the flying cars, jedi temple, size, aliens (accually if there are aliens they definally live in the city),and stuff like that. ok so its not pretty much like it but is def the closet thing.

17. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Are you trying to say that it is impossible for the DS to have been completed in 4 years, much less 20?

Well, the Empire had vast amounts of resources and manpower (which fall under resources) to construct the DS in 4 years. So as long as the Empire has a billion times more resources than NYC, then it is quite possible to build a DS in 4 years.

I know Salty, that is too cruel. :(

18. TK-101788

TK-101788 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2003
    I agree with Errant_Venture on this matter. Given the Empire's vast resources, it would be entirely possible to complete construction on the Death Star in only four years.

19. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course, the first one took a little longer to build than the second, because there was a lot of trial and error involved.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Looking at the example of the second Death Star...

* Even if it had been built from scratch after the first one exploded (which seems to be the case), and hadn't already been in production or anything, then we're talking about 4 years.

* It wasn't quite ready by the Battle of Endor, but I guess several more months would've done it.

* In ANH, we hear that the Death Star is recently constructed (as in, completed)

So, it's a pretty fair bet that it took around 5 years before the start of ANH for the first Death Star to be built. The basic plans and designs were set, but a lot more of that had to be worked out and finalised before construction could take place, along with the time and money needed to be put aside for such an endevour.

Another thing to consider...the Senate isn't even disbanded until during ANH. So Palpatine's grip on power must've continued after Ep3 until he was SO strong that he could happily build a hyperspace-capable battle station capable of destroying a planet without getting voted out of power or whatever.

He has to be quite cunning about the way he gets his army, but no subtlety is needed by the time work is due to start on the Death Star.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    NYC has been continuously under construction for a lot longer than 20 years. ;) You would have to look at a planned city like Washington D.C. to get a real estimate on how long it takes to build a city.

To me, it makes no sense that Palpy would start construction on the DS right after AotC. What would he gain from it? He had just gained legitimate power, so he probably wanted to use that for a while and get the people of the galaxy to trust him before unveiling any new superweapons.

When the war with the Rebellion began in earnest, though, he would have had reason to expend resources on the DS.

22. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    because about 5 years into it, a senior engineer reccommended that they change the shape from a circle to a trapezoid...unfortunately, they listened to him, and after realizing that was a stupid idea, they had to start from scratch again. So there's at LEAST 15 lost years, according to my calculations.

or maybe Palpatine demanded it be the size of a LARGE moon until he realized it would take them 125 years to build it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.