main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why Does Luke wear Black Jedi clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Why does Luke chooose black Jedi clothes it's more like what they wear when they follow the dark side!

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    The color of clothing was hardly important for Luke considering what was going on at the time. Besides that, maybe he just didn't know that Jedi generally wore lighter-colored clothes.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The real-world answer is that, at that time, Lucas hadn't decided that every Jedi would wear Obi-wan-esque robes, and they wanted to give Luke a darker appearance.

(It's alot better than Hamil's initial suggestion- that Luke have a shaved head with a claw earing- LOL)

4. Fireant

Fireant Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Yes I agree, Luke didn't know any living Jedi's apart from Yoda so he had not seen any properly dressed Jedi's. Anyway I think the dark clothes he wears makes him unique.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm wearing a black shirt and dark pants right now. Does that mean I'm evil?

Jo Lucas likes this.
  6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, Luke wearing black clothes is not much of a big deal. At the time, he didn't know what the Jedi of the Old Republic wore. Also, the situation was rather urgent.

On the other hand, one question that's harder to understand is, "why did Anakin wear black in Attack of the Clones?"

This is what I'm not sure of.

I think in both cases, though, it was to show how close both of them were to the dark side.

Of course it doesn't, Bib. It just means you're a Goth. :p :p

7. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Well could the reason be symbolism? Lucas is really into that. Maybe it was meant to show Luke on the verge of falling. Add to that Lukes dabbling with the Darkside Force choke which can also mean he was on the threshhold. :)

<[-]> Saber

8. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "On the other hand, one question that's harder to understand is, "why did Anakin wear black in Attack of the Clones?"

This is what I'm not sure of.

I think in both cases, though, it was to show how close both of them were to the dark side."

Symbolism definitely had a part to play in it, but I think Luke's was more of an accident, whereas Anakin's was outright rebellion against Jedi tradition (and more significantly, "Obi-Wan tradition" ;)).

"Well could the reason be symbolism? Lucas is really into that. Maybe it was meant to show Luke on the verge of falling. Add to that Lukes dabbling with the Darkside Force choke which can also mean he was on the threshhold."

I agree that for the audience, the purpose lies in symbolism.

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The clothes looked cool and mysterious. It was a nice touch.

10. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    He just looked more bad*** in all black.

11. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    [color=336699]Simple Answer: Its 'cause Luke be da O.G....da original gangsta yo! Back fo shizo!

*coughs*
    [face_plain]

Sorry

~ICeBReaKeR[/color]
    He has never been cooler...

12. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Maybe in episode 3 the Jedi will pull out their war uniforms, which are similar to Luke's outfit?

13. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It's something I've made up myself, that bares no basis of fact in either the films, or the EU, but I like to think a Jedi wears black when they're in mourning after the death of someone close to them, let's say. So, the reason why I like Luke wears black is out of respect for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

14. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Luke probably thinks, like many people in the RW, that black clothes are cool. Matter of taste.

I always wear black, does that make me evil?

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It's also possible Luke didn't even know he was bucking tradition because he'd never learned what Jedi dress convention was. Since Yoda had so little time with him, he probably didn't bother to tell him any of the more trivial details of Jedi life.

16. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    I always thought it was symbolic of Luke becoming not only a Jedi, but a man... you know - that whole "loss of innocence" thing? In ANH he wore all white. In ESB he wears gray. In ROTJ he wears black. MHO of course.

Most definitely, Bib Fortuna. Same goes for you, batvader. If it makes ME evil, then it makes you guys evil, too.

17. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "It's also possible Luke didn't even know he was bucking tradition because he'd never learned what Jedi dress convention was. "

My thoughts exactly.

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Because it's symbolic, to show Luke's increasing closeness to his father and the Dark Side.

And because it increases his coolness level by about a billion.

19. DarthBratwurst

DarthBratwurst Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    I prefer the khaki fatigues he wore in ESB.
    I think Luke's choice of clothing reflects his state of mind and is in contrast not only to the white billowing tunic he wore when he was just a farmboy but also to the white shirt Han was wearing in Jabba's court. The colors symbolize a change of purpose and of character.
    Or maybe he just wanted to fry in those dark clothes under Tatooine's twin suns.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Even though his outfit looks different to the other Jedi he's met, Luke's black suit still has some similiarity with Obi-Wan's Jedi robes.

The undershirt, and folded-over gi style. He even has the big robe, until he ditches it against the Rancor.

21. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    To me, his black gear also means business. No old-school Jedi niceness. If you oppose, Mr. Jabba, you are toast.

22. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Keep in mind no one ever said to Luke you have to wear what you saw Obi-Wan and Yoda wearing. Plus Anakin wears black in AOTC.

23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Luke is made to look more serious. Remember when we see that close-up of him in front of Jabba? He could have been Palpatine under that robe. Luke is more mature, no longer the farm boy.

Also it would have looked stupid if he wore a black glove with old school jedi garb. He would have looked like a golfer if he had a white glove. He would have looked like a child molester if he wore a sequinned glove.

24. DARTHVADER_ANAKIN

DARTHVADER_ANAKIN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2003
    Anakin wore brown.
    They wore dark colors to show independence( the episode II visual dictionary said that about Anakin). Besides why not let the two most important people in Star Wars and the coolest where dark colors. They look cool!

25. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    YeaH, Anakin was more of a dark brown in AOTC. But I want him to wear black in episode 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.