main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why Does Luke wear Black Jedi clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Fireant, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -The_Sith-

-The_Sith- Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2003
    Who says Jedis always have to wear all light clothes?

And who says the Sith always have to wear all black?

As pointed out Luke wore black in ROTJ,

Similarly Count Dooku wears a "brown" cape in AOTC instead of a all black outfit.

2. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
  3. jedibendubruce

jedibendubruce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Star Wars is about symbolism. I think it has a lot to do with Luke growing up & into a person he's unsure of. There's a void in his life. He has many questions that he only has partial answers to. Plus he seems to wear clothes that meet the occasion. Jabba's setting was dark & very machiavellian and I think it was all part of his plan to powerplay Jabba. They had abviously put a lot of thought into this since Lando had spent months digging his way into Jabba's court in a disguise (my history of details is a little rusty though). And Luke had been at Obi Wan's home for awhile as well getting ready & constructing his lightsabre. So I just think his outfit was part of the plan & served a functional as well as a psychological mode.

4. cvlegion

cvlegion Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2003
    I think that since Luke has accepted Anakin as his father, he wants to remind him of the path that he is capable of. He realizes that he could just as easily fall to the Dark Side as his father did. He probably recognizes Yoda's and Obi Wan's wisdom by now and how closely he came to falling to the Dark Side. He also knows that his next task will be to try to win Anakin back. By doing this, he recognizes how fragile his position is. He wants to constantly remind himself of what he could become to stay on guard.

5. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Why? Because he wants to distinguish his appearance from that in TESB and ANH.

6. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    the black clothes were supposed to show the link between vader and luke...

remember that in his final attack, Luke dips into the dark side and gives in a little. Vader then kills the emperor.

Luke really doesn't do "good" in his final battle. he only pleads to his father for help.

in an interview Lucas gets asked:

"isn't having luke dress like that a little vader esque?

lucas: "thats the whole idea."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.