main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Luke wear black??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ree, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It's always made Luke seem so serious in RotJ to me - even as a kid. Too serious. But maybe that was the point - he was mature - no more cute flightsuits.

2. Spazz

Spazz Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2007
    Damn straight.
    I think it's because He meant Business. Kind of like your typical Mobster from those 1950 films and such, and some modern Gangster films.
    I Guess Luke skywalker also wore black to Symbolize his Hate and Anger with Darth Vader and the Empire in General.

3. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    The Jedi are a religious order in many ways. The Black outfit that look wears is very similar to the outfit that Catholic Priests wear. Look at the Collar on looks shirt it even has a space where one of those white collar things could be put.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't remember, but in the commentary doesn't Lucas (or someone else) say that he's simply adopted Jedi attire (when he shows up in Jabba's palace). I'll have to check. If that's the case, then I'm not so sure that it has any sort of symbolism and might just be an accidental inconsistency between the OT and PT, because as someone pointed out, Obi-Wan was dressed similarly to Luke and Owen in ANH, which makes me think that at the time, during the production of ROTJ, the dark robes that Luke wears might have been what Lucas had in mind for Jedi robes, while the robes of Obi-Wan were perhaps just intended to be the everyday unassuming robes of the average Tatooinian guy.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There shouldn't be any issues with Luke wearing black. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan wore evil looking hoods and robes in the beginning of TPM, but they weren't evil at all. It's just something to make the characters look a bit sinister when they're actually not.

6. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    I believe this as well. Owen wearing the same brown robes as Obi is what really makes me think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.