main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Does MTV Hate the Right?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Vaderbait, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    MTV really bothers me, because it has access to so many young people, yet it doesn't even attempt to present a balanced view. In 2000, they gave Al Gore all this coverage and interview time, and I think if they let Bush on at all, it was for a minute negative clip. Same thing in 2004.

I'm unfamiliar with the higher ups in MTV, why are they so blatantly anti-Republican? I'd like some thoughtful answers, and not mass generalizations like "Because Republicans are racists" because we're not. I'd really like to know what we've done to MTV?

Also, what effect do you think this has? Is it fair for the youth of this country to be presented with only one side of an argument? And whoever is bashing a Republican or pushing an anti-Republican movement is always presented in a nice light, so can you blame the youth for siding with them?

This goes hand in hand with the discussion about the Youth Vote. Personally, I don't feel it's fair that so many young people see a Bush bash here or there, and it sounds so funny or good, so they don't question it.

So?

You know, I'm getting really tired of all these same old "Why Do Liberals Do This?" and "Why Are Conservatives Always Doing This?" types of threads under what really amounts to similar guises. If you want to discuss the culture war, then start a thread on that topic with a neutral title and a neutral opening post.

2. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    It's just another example of how the media and hollywood are predominantly liberal and how they hate conservativism. Balanced opinions and viewpoints have nothing to do with the media or hollywood.

IMO MTV is crap. I haven't watched it for more than a moment or two in passing during channel surfing for the last few years anyway. I mostly quit watching them when I realized that they weren't really about music any more but more about teenage reality shows. Bleh! [face_sick]

As far as the effect on the youth, I agree that it is a very one sided viewpoint to be teaching them and that in and of itself is a bad thing. The education system is largely this way as well. Liberalism is all that they get and thus they don't think for themselves and become sheep that will believe any crazy thing that they are told on TV or in class. How else can someone like Michael Moore (who lies so blatantly that it's pathetic) have so much influence? IMO it's scary.

3. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Or, why does the Right hate MTV?

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I think it has to do with Right-wingers wanting to censor them. You know, the PTC is right wing and they're targetting MTV. Fight fire with fire I guess.

5. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Because MTV hates the Right. (Kind of a chicken-egg thing)

6. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Vezner posted on 3/1/05 9:49am
    How else can someone like Michael Moore (who lies so blatantly that it's pathetic) have so much influence? IMO it's scary. [hr][/blockquote] The same could be said about Bush and his administration, but I don't see the conservative side up in arms about that...

And I agree that both sides should be presented. However, it's MTV's station and they're constitutionally guaranteed the right to have that free speech. But I think it's balanced out well enough by the churches and every speech Bush tries to make. So I'm not going to complain too much.

7. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Fire, one must remember the Parents Music Research Center -- the group that spoke before Congress about Twisted Sister, and that pressured the RIAA to label certain CDs with warnings about explicit lyrics.

Those warnings were known in some circles as "Tipper stickers" because one of the most prominent faces of the PMRC was Tipper Gore, wife of then-Senator Al Gore.

And one must also recall what became known as the "Sister Souljah Moment," when Bill Clinton criticized the excesses of rap music to a civil rights group, a move that helped secure his nomination.

That said, I'll agree that conservative Republicans have been more consistent in their opposition to the degenerate filth on MTV, in both their support of giving the FCC more teeth and in their more general support of more traditional values.

And I would say that if you've made MTV your enemy, you might be doing something right.

8. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I would say one of the biggest problems with MTV is its utter lack of worthwhile programming. It's nothing but shows about TV stars. No wonder our country has a strange obsession.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    You think the people that run MTV care? They're sitting in their million dollar homes drinking Crystal. They don't give a ****.

10. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    They obviously care enough to make some pretty blatant political statements. IIRC, Kerry won the "Which presidental candidate is cooler" contest.

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    That's not what I meant. I meant they don't care if you hate them.

12. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Are you kidding me?

The question should be WHY DOES THE RIGHT HATE MTV.

Seriously. You don't think that if George W. Bush were to agree to go on MTv, they wouldn't JUMP SCREAMING at the chance to get him?

Seriously, it's not necessarily MTv that didn't want to have Bush, it's that Bush didn't want to have MTv. Bush's father tried and failed in the format.

13. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    I can't speak for other conservatives but I can say that I don't like MTV because of the lack of music videos (other than a bunch of crappy rap songs that seem to be shown over and over and over again early in the morning), the fact that it seems like all they really show is lame teen reality tv shows (again, bleh! [face_sick]), and there's the fact that they seem to push liberal ideas and content. I mean you have to admit, MTV isn't exactly the best place from which you can develop good moral values. ;) Let's look at it this way, what if MTV WAS pushing conservative values? Would you hate it OWM? Sometime for you to chew on.

For me, personally, I find the channel to be the biggest waste of time on cable TV. I haven't sat down and really watched it for well over 5 years. Every time I channel surf past it and actually sit and watch it for a minute, I find the same old junk that was playing back when I decided it was trash. It's all immoral trash, liberal propaganda, and reality TV BS programming that really has very little to do with the music industry any more. In short, MTV is a waste of time.

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    MTV should know be called More dumb TV. Because really the day of it being Music TV dead years ago.

15. cal_silverstar

cal_silverstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't think it's a big deal if MTV hates the right. Conservativism isn't perceived as "cool" to the MTV demographic, that's all. People who look to MTV as their sole source of political discourse shouldn't be voting.

16. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    The same could be said about Bush and his administration, but I don't see the conservative side up in arms about that...

And I agree that both sides should be presented. However, it's MTV's station and they're constitutionally guaranteed the right to have that free speech. But I think it's balanced out well enough by the churches and every speech Bush tries to make. So I'm not going to complain too much.

Exactly. Besides, I don't see any complaints about the lack of balance on Pat Robertson's all-right-wing-all-the-time, liberal-hating, gay-hating, feminist-hating allegedly "Christian" TV network.

17. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    It's another branch of the liberal media, like every other thing in the world. ;)

18. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Vez, I don't hate FOX NEWS.

19. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    That's because deep down you know that Fox News is superior. Sorry, I just had to say it. ;) :p

BTW, you still didn't answer the question. IF MTV pushed conservative ideals, would you watch it?

20. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    Vezner - It's just another example of how the media and hollywood are predominantly liberal and how they hate conservativism.

Just curious, but is that always the conservative answer? I'm hearing that a lot lately.

How else can someone like Michael Moore (who lies so blatantly that it's pathetic) have so much influence?

And Ann Coulter doesn't? And other conservative columnists don't? Michael Moore lies just as much, if not less, than some of his conservative counterparts that the average conservative idolizes. Although, I can see where you're coming from, as the left views Fox News in the same light, although that is a news channel, and Sinclair, but I don't even think someone needs to argue about that channel.

Let's look at it this way, what if MTV WAS pushing conservative values? Would you hate it OWM?

I know, for certain, that I wouldn't watch it, although that's from my view of "conservative values" - although I'm sure I would make some people quite angry if I named what I believed they would be showing (Bible study? Crusades against homosexuals? Anti-abortion rallies? the list goes on. ;) ).

VoijaRisa - But I think it's balanced out well enough by the churches and every speech Bush tries to make.

I agree, on the Church part, as it disgusted me how the Church was used as a propoganda tool during the recent election.

I would say one of the biggest problems with MTV is its utter lack of worthwhile programming.

Agreed. I think many things killed it, especially the lack of decent music produced in the past ten years, as I see music take one step lower ever sense MTV started airing. I mean, the Real World seasons aren't even what they used to be, and now they have 'My Sweet Sixteen' where a bunch of snobby rich girls get their Dad's to spend $500,000 on their 16th Birthday Party, then cry when they didn't get the Mustang they wanted.

I do agree that it's a mutual hate, between MTV and the Right, as most conservatives won't watch MTV, and won't allow their children to watch it (as it has "no values, although I'm beginning to wonder what children are allowed to watch, as a Crusade is launchd against a new cartoon each week), and especially as how they are very supportive of censoring television, which MTV would get struck a lot by.

Shelley - Besides, I don't see any complaints about the lack of balance on Pat Robertson's all-right-wing-all-the-time, liberal-hating, gay-hating, feminist-hating allegedly "Christian" TV network.

Because it's "fair and balanced" and has "moral values". Oh, sorry, we're talking about different stations here.

21. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    Vezner - That's because deep down you know that Fox News is superior.

No, not by a long shot. I find myself watching CNN and MSNBC the most, and occasionally I will watch PBS or NBC, although those both aren't on all the time, and aren't that informative. I rarely ever watch Fox News unless someone I like will be on there, as I cannot stand to listen to any of their hosts, as all they do is downgrade the Democrats and John Kerry, while promoting the Republicans and George Bush. If you don't believe me, try actually watching it - the host/commenter(s) at 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, and 8:00 are all very openly biased. Which, it is their channel, so I could really care less, because I'm sure not watching it.

22. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Just curious, but is that always the conservative answer? I'm hearing that a lot lately.

Maybe you hear it a lot because it's true? :eek: ;)

No, not by a long shot. I find myself watching CNN and MSNBC the most, and occasionally I will watch PBS or NBC, although those both aren't on all the time, and aren't that informative. I rarely ever watch Fox News unless someone I like will be on there, as I cannot stand to listen to any of their hosts, as all they do is downgrade the Democrats and John Kerry, while promoting the Republicans and George Bush. If you don't believe me, try actually watching it - the host/commenter(s) at 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, and 8:00 are all very openly biased. Which, it is their channel, so I could really care less, because I'm sure not watching it.

Dude, I was kidding. :p

23. shinjo_jedi

May 21, 2002
    Not entirely. Yes, there are examples of the liberal media, but there are also examples of the conservative media. It just seems that everytime something goes wrong for George Bush, it's just being stretched out by the 'liberal media', and it just seems that it is the answer to all of the problems conservative's have with society. Prison scandals? Propoganda by the liberal media. No weapons of mass destruction? Work of the liberal media. Social Security accounts not fixing the long-term solvency of the program? False information put out by the liberal media. Same-Sex Marriage Amendment not fair to homosexuals? Work of the liberal media. John Kerry wins a pre-election poll? Lies of the liberal media. The Bush Administration hurting the environment? Propoganda by the liberal media. Terrorists on the cover of a magazine? Propoganda by the liberal media to distort what's happening in Iraq. So, they turn around and watch the only news channel that can escape the label, and watch something "fair and balanced" (Fox News).

Dude, I was kidding.

I wasn't. Sorry, I get kind of annoyed when my conservative friends constantly tell me that the only channel without bias is Fox News, as no one on the channel is biased, and they only report the truth, and everything else is a work of the liberal media, and how much better Fox News is because of their hosts, ect.

24. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I cannot stand MTV, and it isn't because I'm on the right, middle or left.

It's because it is a crap network filled with trash and trashy individuals who specifically set a bad example for youth. Other networks utilize provocative material specifically for adults.

When I was a young teenager, all MTV did was play videos. Parents were a bit worried about it then.

It's gotten exponentially worse now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.