main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Obi Wan have such a hard time dueling Dooku?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by strider24, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Even though I know I've quoted those rankings, but I think in terms of the story, they don't mean anything significant anyway. Particularly because Lucas wouldn't have taken this ranking system into account, as you say, when he wrote ANH.

2. Ruthio

Ruthio Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005

"Your powers have grown weak Oldman" Darth Vader in ANH. Yet Douku who must be in his 70s had become even more powerful. The truth folks the only thing Obi-wan did in that hut for 20 years was drink, meditate, and drink again and thn he passsed out.

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005

can we ??[face_thinking]

i agree.off topic comment: yet some people post excuses about palpatine being weaker in ROTJ than in ROTS due to his age...why ??

yoda looked stronger to me in ROTS than in the OT.same for kenobi.

he had more important tasks that lightsaber training.watching over luke,learning to be force ghost,communing to qui gon.etc.

not so much for me but choreography certainly didnt help to prove it :p

but now we do..

4. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Yeah, my in movie explanation works for me. I don't compare the characters, they all might be more powerful than him or her or whatever but when it comes to the fight, sometimes things work out differently.

I just think that Dooku had Obi Wan's number the entire time. Obi Wan sorta new this (notice his hesitancy before teh duel in AOTC) and you get Dooku just owning him... twice even.

Simply put, Dooku can beat Obi Wan not because he is all that more powerful... he just reads Obi Wan like a book.

Much like how Obi Wan reads Anakin on Mustaphar. Then, again even though Anakin is more powerful he is defeated. Much like Maul as well....

This is all in my humblest of convoluted oppinions.

5. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Ben and Palpatine simply didn't have the oppurtunity to showcase their talents and powers as in the Prequel Trilogy because of the dictums of the story.

Although I would say sensing the destruction of Alderaan from halfway across the galaxy is sort of a level 9 ability , since Lucas intentionally had Yoda percieve Order 66 to mirror that scene.

As far as lightsaber training, etc etc in his Hutt during the 20 years, um, when did Dooku, Sidious, Mace, and even Yoda do that?
    Prior to TPM a Jedi had not confronted a Sith Lord in 1000 years. Whatever method they employed prior to the duel with Maul on Tatooine, seemed to work pretty well for all parties concerned as far as training. Additionally, what training would Obi-Wan indeed FURTHER need already being an 8?? With the exception of Force ghostage and increase in the Force he is pretty much already close enough to a 9 to be able to fight one.

Mace and Yoda are 9's without using the Darkside. Since old Ben eclipses Mace in Force power by infact learning the magic secret to immortality, hell, it stands to reason you could argue Ben and Yoda achieve a level 10, something no other characters have done before, and something the Sith have forever been trying to do: cheat death. That's sort of the Holy Grail of all parties involved, and 3 characters (No doubt Luke much, much later) are the only ones able to do it.

EDIT: In reality, when doing these arbitrary power rankings the way everyone does, and factoring in ALL 6 films, it should probably realistically go like this:

1.Yoda/Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin Skywalker - Force ghosts, immortal, "more powerful than you can possibly imagine." (Qui-Gon Jinn isn't included in this list because despite discovering the initial ability, he can't maintain a physical form or presence, only his vague identity.
    2. Darth Sidious - supreme villian
    3. Mace Windu - Head of the Jedi Council
    4. Everyone else

6. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    the rankings are for fighting.dont include the force ghost there.a ghost cant duel...and the thread is about duel

the way you say it we agree

the way i say it(only combat)

sidious and yoda are over obi wan......fact or fiction as they say in sportcenter ?? fact..GL says so.

7. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I think Dooku owns Obi-Wan primarily because his fighting style counters Obi-Wan's style. It's the perfect foil to how Obi-Wan approaches attacks. There's also a "big-brother" element to their duels. Big brothers always have an edge when they fight younger siblings...it's some sort of eternal law irrevocably decreed by the Force. Dooku trained Qui-Gon who trained Obi-Wan...so it's a psychological edge that Obi-Wan gives Dooku each time they fight.

8. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i still think that dooku is a slightly superior overall dueler but i agree that is mostly psicological.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.