main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Padme's heart get broken?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    The cause of Padme's death is interesting. Anakin dreams of her death, turns to the dark side, and she dies.

RotS clearly implies that Padme's death is due to her broken heart. This happens after the Mustafar confrontation. Why is her heart broken? Because:

1. Her beloved husband used the Force to choke her? That is, the shock of her own husband physically hurting her?
    2. Her husband turned into a person she hardly knew, one who has ambitions to become a dictator?

It is important as to why her heart gets broken. If (1) is true, one could argue that if she never went to Mustafar, or Obi-Wan did not sneak aboard her ship, her heart would be okay and she would live happily ever after. If (2) is correct, her death would happen sooner or later when she finally found out about Anakin.

The future is always in motion: was it inevitable that she would die? Or did Anakin narrow down future possibilities by the path he chose?

EDIT: fixed a typo.

2. electrobc1

electrobc1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 15, 2003
    She's probably just plain broken-hearted over everything, most specifically, watching her husband become a monster.

The choke, and the specific events all seem to add up to it.

3. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    "Why is her heart broken? Because"

Hmmm?, well her love betrayed everything she believed in. betrayed the entire Jedi order,Helped destroyed Democracy,He turned Evil and Slayed Children and Jedi. basically Her lover Destroyed her whole Universe.
    Does that seem like a good enough reason?

4. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    The incredible emotional strain probably killed her, and I doubt giving birth early (twice) helped things much.

5. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    She wanted twin girls.

6. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Hmmm?, well her love betrayed everything she believed in. betrayed the entire Jedi order,Helped destroyed Democracy,He turned Evil and Slayed Children and Jedi. basically Her lover Destroyed her whole Universe. Does that seem like a good enough reason?

Pretty much.

7. Well_I_Care

Well_I_Care Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    cant say she want warned...Thier little talk on democracy during AOTC. He believed and became all she opposed and faught so hard against

8. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Luke is kind of like a girl. ;)

9. DARTH_CRISPY

DARTH_CRISPY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2005
    This is tough to answer as natures of the heart are hard to explain.

I think its a combo of everything. She's pregnet so, she's already emotional. Her husband, who has a power to forsee the future, tells her she's going to die. The Republic, which she loves and believes in falls, its her husband who helps bring it down, he murders a bunch of people, and he feels she has betrayed her.

She couldn't turn him back then, she probably thought that she could never turn him back after that point. And if she couldn't do it, and be with him, that it was finally too much for her to handle.

10. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    cant say she want warned...Thier little talk on democracy during AOTC. He believed and became all she opposed and faught so hard against

i have my political opinions too, but it does'nt mean i will overthrow the Gov't

11. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Postpartum depression. She felt fat and that she was never going to lose the weight.

12. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I hit my girlfriend all the time and her heart don't get broken. Just her face. She should learn not to talk out of turn.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Prequel_Dreamer posted on 5/16/05 12:01pm
    Luke is kind of like a girl. [face_wink]
    [hr][/blockquote]

[face_shock] [face_laugh]

I'd have a broken heart too if I wasn't going to be snogging Anakin anymore.

14. Well_I_Care

Well_I_Care Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    why i said warned. And your not in a powerful position to do so if desired.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's both things. Anakin's transformation into Vader was too much for her. It was such an emotional shock that her whole being shattered. She began to shut down as a result. A subconscious or an unconscious thing.

"Showing how much Anakin and Padme care for each other is one of my weak points. Expressing that is hard to do. It's really hard in the end to express the idea, Im so in love with you that I would do anything to save you; I'd give up everything -friends, my whole life- for you, and make that real-make that stick-and say it in two minutes. When I created it I knew I wanted two hard right turns-it's designed to be that way-and I knew I was taking a real chance that it wasn't going to work. But you have to see if you can make it work. If it doesn't work, well then I'm going to get skewered for it. But if I can make it work, it'll be neat. It'll be good"

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

"The thing that breaks Padme's heart in the end is the fact that Anakin says to hear, 'Come and join me. I have all the power now. I can rule the universe and you can do it with me.' So the idea of saving her life has become a minor issue. And that's when she says, 'Wait a minute. This is not what I want and you're not the guy I fell in love with!'"

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 52

16. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    hit my girlfriend all the time and her heart don't get broken. Just her face. She should learn not to talk out of turn

Get lost!

17. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Post-partum depression - a condition being bandied about a LOT on these boards lately by people who will NEVER be in a position to experience it personally ([face_laugh]) - doesn't set in BEFORE the birth. Apparently, according to the med droids on Plois Massa, Padme is shutting down even before the twins are out!

Okay, so it's because Padme finally knows Anakin wants a dictatorship. Therefore, in a way, at the moment Anakin makes his choice to kill Mace because he needs to keep Palpatine alive to save Padme, he is actually sealing Padme's death warrant!

Wow! That is pretty powerful irony! That by killing Mace, he is killing her in the forseeable future! :eek:

18. Potentiaal

Potentiaal Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    My cousin says not to tell him Padme's fate because it would be a spoiler. How is that possible...

Can't the Polis Masssannnlalala put her on some sort of life support device?

19. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Overall strain from everything;
    Ani's turn and actions, fall of the Republic &
    democracy. I personally don't think she's been the
    type of character to die of a broken heart, but
    I guess that's what we're supposed to believe.

20. -Syn-

-Syn- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 24, 2005
    Can't the Polis Masssannnlalala put her on some sort of life support device?

Not if she lost the will to live.

21. Potentiaal

Potentiaal Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    Not necessarily. She, mentally may not want to live, but physically they could keep her alive for a very long time. Why don't they?

22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Padme: Obi Wan. My glorious democratic Republic is collapsing under dark tyrannical rule; my husband has turned his back on me, his friends, his ideals, and all that is good; he makes decisions based on the lies and treachery of others. My heart is breaking. My will is ebbing. I can't....go...on....

Obi Wan: Buck up, woman!

23. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    hey if the USA fell tomorrow you'd be pretty messed up too. lol. [face_thinking]

24. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    What happened to Anakin force choking her then throwing her against a wall. So now he JUST chokes her and she dies later????

25. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Maybe they don't really believe in "Life Support" in the GFFA during the Clone Wars era. The only beings that need external devices to keep them alive are Vader, Grevious, and Wat Tambor et al. Grevious is generally considered a monstrosity to even Dooku. Vader is the evil Dark Lord of the Sith. Perhaps a normal good person like Padme would not be subjected to what they consider a barbaric practice. I don't really have any evidence to back my claims and I havn't read much EU, but I figured it was a slight possibility.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.