main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Padme's heart get broken?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by forever_jedi, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The dream comes true because of Anakin's choices. He's being shown the road to hell. It's like in "The Matrix Reloaded." Anakin's already made the choice. He just has to understand why. He already made up his mind three years ago, that he would do whatever it took to become all powerful. The Force is showing him what will come of his selfish quest. Rather than listen to Yoda and Padme, he fulfills his promise at a very steep cost.

Yes, but Anakin was told growing up that the future is always in motion. Yoda tells him what to do.

It was to show Luke what he would become if he fought emotionally and using the Dark Side.

And there you go. But of course, not everyone knows that so they'll still complain.

2. Mothman_

Mothman_ Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Just a thought, but does anyon else think Natalie Portman is overrated?, shes not that good of an actress IMO, and shes not that good looking, I think GL made a mistake casting her, Keira Knigtley has better screen presence and is more physically expressive much like carrie Fishers "Leia" needed to be, and worse of all is her acting voice is monotone and over-rehearsed, like shes trying more to repeat her lines verbatum than to get an emotional inlfection into her performance..I dunno....

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    What does that have to do with Padme's broken heart?

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i dont think she is overrated,im not saying she is an outstanding actress but i think she is a good one and she played a very good part in SW.

about her look,everybody looks people with different eyes but as far as im concerned i wont even discuss this subject(you better get some glasses,good ones please :D )

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Just a thought, but does anyon else think Natalie Portman is overrated?, shes not that good of an actress IMO, and shes not that good looking, I think GL made a mistake casting her, Keira Knigtley has better screen presence and is more physically expressive much like carrie Fishers "Leia" needed to be, and worse of all is her acting voice is monotone and over-rehearsed, like shes trying more to repeat her lines verbatum than to get an emotional inlfection into her performance..
    I dunno....

First, what is it about this term "overrated"? Why are people on the internet so obsessed with it? Overrated by who? For what? Can you be more specific?

Second, the last two words of your post really sums up things.
    You DON'T know.

Third, why did you bring this up in a thread about why Padme's heart gets broken? Were you trying to derail the thread?

Regarding the thread subject:
    Her husband has turned into the devil incarnate, is running around murdering defenseless people AND children, is destroying democracy,
    just tried to force choke her, and now values power over love.
    So yeah, I can see how, given the fact that her entire world has collapsed on her, she might be feeling a bit low.

By the way, Ebert and Roeper went out of their way to commend Natalie's performance in the confrontation she has with Anakin at the end of the movie as being GREAT!

6. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Anakin's dreams certainly play on mythological motifs. As someone already mentioned, it's so very similar to the Oedipus prophecy of him killing his mother and marrying his mother, Jocasta (yes, we even have a Jocasta in AotC!) Oedipus, trying to avert this horrible prophecy, leaves the land of his adoptive parents, ends up where his parents rule, kills Dad, marries Mom. By trying to avoid prophecy, he fulfils it.

Classically Anakin. Trying to prevent his dreams from becoming reality, he turns evil. Padme dies because she can't bear to have an evil husband (she had a momentary lapse during the Tusken slaughter! :p) If Anakin had done nothing about his dreams, he would not have turned and would have lived long with his family on Naboo.

Oedipus' father, by trying to avoid prophecy, had his infant son banished. Because of that, Oedipus didn't know who his true family was and ended up fulfiling the prophecy.

Qui-Gon and the Jedi wanted to have Anakin trained as a Jedi, because he believed the prophecy said the Chosen One was a Jedi who would destroy the Sith. Trying to make Anakin live a restricted Jedi life, turned him into a Sith, and he ultimately destroyed the Sith when he himself was a Sith apprentice. Nicely self-fulfilling prophecy.

Is GL saying: Be careful of prophecies?

7. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Uh first, the force choke was possibly the WORST scene in any SW film to date. My cat could do a better force choke scen ethan Natalie did, and I love Natalie.

Second, her world collapsed on her? She has two babies that just came out of her, if you can't even muster up the will to live for your CHILDREN what the hell is wrong with you. Buck up camper, suck it up and get on with your life. I think given the circumstances Obi-Wan and Yoda had a far crappier day than she did and they still made it through.

8. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Portman plays an uninteresting character and delivers Padme with a lifeless performance. On top of that, George decreases the character and nearly writes her out of the films and kills her off as a weak-willed moron. In my humble opinion, of course.

"All the characters in Star Wars follow mythological archetypes,.."

Do people say stuff like that because that's what THEY personally believe, or is it simply because it's something Lucas said? I read these posts and they come off like test papers. All the words and comparisons used to express these various film aspects are mostly things Lucas has said himself. Looks like He's giving people their opinion. I mean, who can truthfully say that they REALLY feel that certain aspects of STAR WARS is some lofty shakespearian take on mythological motiff's dipped in Hamlet covered in Kirasawa? Very few if any. Your just repeating what Lucas said about his own films.

9. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Of course I believe it. One of the reasons I personally like SW so much is because I am interested in the Campbell-esque hero mythology in which it's based. These charactes are archetypes, and there's proof of that in Campbell, in Disney, in Shakespeare etc. I do read books you know. I have been to graduate school, so I think I possess the intelligence to think for myself instead of spitting back out what Lucas says. The second I saw Padme's death/funeral I thought, "Oh, my god it's the Lady of Shalott". Lucas has never stated that explicitly, but it does fit eerily into what he was trying to do the entire time with Padme and Anakin, it can't be a coincedence. It is important to consider the director's intention, but it should also be investigated instead of accepted blindly. I think I personally have done a good job defending my opinion even without Lucas' own words.

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    [:D] Brillinat! Leaves me speechless!

11. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Anakin and Padme form a symbiotic circle; what happens to one of them effects the other, you must understand this.

Ps the sun at the beginning of ROTS mirrors the 'sun' (not shining as bright though) at the beginning of ROTJ.

Back to topic!

12. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I am one that had a hard time with how Padme dies, particularly the argument that if nothing else she had her children to live for despite what had happened to Anakin.

But to lose the will to live over a broken heart when her children needed her, especially being born in such a dark time is reasonable for any person to find hard to accept.

My one problem with Padme in ROTS, is that we do not see her enough to accept her broken heart. I think showing her starting to worry over Anakin's condition and words early on would have been more acceptable when she says to Anakin, "You've changed, I don't know you any more"!!

For me, I thought her reaction to the Republic becoming a Galactic Empire should have been much different that what was shown. I mean the Jedi had been accused of treason, of which she had no real proof, so she should have been more concerned over this, despite what Anakin said and what Palpatine proclaimed. But her response to the change in government, I expected she would have been "heart broken" or saddened even over this. She basically had an "Oh well" attitude of acceptance.

But for me, her screen time was cut down, and I really think this hurt in making her "broken heart" more convincing. I for one wish Padme had been able to see the hologram of Anakin killing Jedi, even the Younglings, or killing the Separatists along with hearing his words of new powers, overthrowing Palpy, ruling the galaxy and then choking her.

Lastly, besides her claiming to Obi-Wan that there was still good in Anakin, I do wish she could have herself declared why she could go on no longer, and how she felt she was partly at fault, and all along ignored the signs, so this is why she could no longer live with herself for this. Then to have had her tell Obi-Wan, you must take care of the twins for me, and tell him what a good friend he has been to her and Anakin. I know that would have been wordy for someone dying, but something along these lines, and anyway there have been much longer speeches before peopel died on film, ala Trinity in Revolutions!! :)

Darth Sin! :cool:

13. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    I for one wish Padme had been able to see the hologram of Anakin killing Jedi, even the Younglings, or killing the Separatists along with hearing his words of new powers, overthrowing Palpy, ruling the galaxy and then choking her

Yeah but the thing is she knows Anakin has slaughtered younglings before so I dont know why she would be shocked.When she steps on Mustafar its like she gives him room to make an excuse. She shouldve came to Mustafar not with a Obi-Wan said you slaughtered younglings but a why did you do that considering youve done this before just my opinion

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Padme has become too attached to Anakin. Thus when he turns evil and does what he does, she finds that she cannot live without him. It's interesting cause of what she said in AOTC.

ANAKIN: "Don't be afraid."

PADMÉ: "I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit
    each day since you came back into my life."

ANAKIN: "What are you talking about?"

PADMÉ: "I love you."

ANAKIN: "You love me?! I thought we decided not to fall in
    love. That we would be forced to live a lie. That it would destroy our lives..."

PADMÉ: "I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway.
    I truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to know."

She can't accept a life without him. The funamental flaw in attachments. Unlike Anakin, she's not willing to do everything to keep him alive. Instead, she falls apart at the prospect of his transformation into a monster.

15. darth_mami

darth_mami Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    I agree, darth-sinister. She just can't live without him. For all the her character strengh, she shows that she is weak when ot comes to Anakin. She lets herself fall in love with him, and marries him. Her love for him was something she just couldn't control, it consumed her the same way it consumed Anakin. She was even willing to ignore everything he has done and run away with him, she told him so in Mustafar. She wanted him that bad.

darth_sin, I agree with you that I would have like to see more of Padme feeling there was something wrong with him, and just ignoring it. I just can't believe Padme didn't notice anything was going on with him, that something was wrong. She could have done more, IMO. Also, I loved all that you proposed for her to say to Obi-Wan, that would have been great.

rebel_scum77, I love your analysis of archetypes, it gives the story more depth and makes it ver interesting.

16. Padame

Padame Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005
    because he turned against me,and because if he killed all those baby Jedi,what would keep him from killing ours?

17. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003

Well, that's cool Rebelscum. If you really feel that these films represent such aspects, so be it. I myself find it strange that people who appreciate these very rich and mythologically themed elements of art, can find STAR WARS to be something other than, not that deep. If these films had so many architypes and so much depth, critics would'nt crap all over them. They can barely reveiw a kids movie without thinking its supposed to convey some operatic lining of a theatrical masterpiece. If STAR WARS was that deep, they would know. They are experts on the subject and pan movies to death because of it.

Some guy expresses his veiws on everything under the sun with common words like, "cool", "awsome", "owned", "rocked", "sucked", and the like. Then all of a sudden he starts talking about architypes and mythology. Please.

I will give you the respect of not accussing you exclusively Rebelscum but Lucas DOES own more Parakeets than a Pirate.

Padme's death as well as her character in general is pathetic. The broken-heart scene cements this idea.

18. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I think we are forgetting that GL is all about homage to cinema of yesteryear. He is making a new myth based on age old tenets. And sorry folks, them tenets is sexist.
    Padme is not a character, she is a plot device. All of the SW women are. Even Leia.
    Leia only serves as a means to make Han good and later make Luke confront Vader to save her.

Now, as far as her heart being broken, she foreshadows her own demise on Mustafar.
    "Don't go where I can't follow." What do you think she means? She can't face
    a world where she is raising the children of a monster. And i think she knew that
    obi wan would defeat him.

People are oft offended by her weakness in ROTS, but i ask, when was she ever all that
    strong? she is naively corraled into traps and intrigues engineered by Sids the entire
    PT. She is just written and conceived of poorly. No wonder the performance was
    less than distinguished.

19. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Leia only serves as a means to make Han good and later make Luke confront Vader to save her.

No I think Lucas said the children are born to help redeem their father. Leia and Luke were born to take down the empire and Luke to win back his fathers soul from the darkside and Palpatine.

Now, as far as her heart being broken, she foreshadows her own demise on Mustafar.
    "Don't go where I can't follow." What do you think she means? She can't face
    a world where she is raising the children of a monster.

Well I do remember in the novel Padme telling Bail that she might not be around for very long, I think she knew the end was near.

And i think she knew that obi wan would defeat him.
    I dont think she knew that.

20. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Critics aren't crapping all over RoTS, it's been very well received. Probably the most intelligent review I've read is Stephen Hunter's from the Washington Post. However, this isn't about the critics. It's about how you can personally indentify with the story. It can be appreciated on a variety of levels, that's Lucas' genius. Children understand and accept it on one level and a Master's student in English can understand it on another. I can watch the films as pure entertainment or I can watch them as a study in hero mythology.

Padme's death is pathetic from your point of view. But from my point of view, it works perfectly on the level it was supposed to, and I figured it out all by myself.

21. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Rebelscum, what was your opinion when Padme arrives at Mustafar, and just upon arrival, she puts her hand on her head. What do you think she was thinking?

To me, that moment she is fretful that all that she heard is true, and realizes that all that she held dear may have really fallen apart. Finally when Anakin reveals his deeds, she's truly distraught that her worst fears have indeed come true, hence broken hearted. Time for her to depart, and to "let go".

Anyway, I was one of the unspoiled (not knowing whether Padme dies on screen or not). When she finally breathes her last, I was thinking that this was exactly what right for such tragedy, but saying words of hope at the end.

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    I pretty much agree with you. She's torn- she trusts Obi-Wan implicitly, but cannot let herself believe that Anakin would do such things. She is scared of how she might find him and knows in her heart that something is not right. They have a symbiotic relationship and that kind of connection- she always knows when something isn't quite right with him. But of course, like Anakin, she is blinded by love and when she sees him coming running towards her, she momentarily thinks that is her Anakin running to greet her. It's not until they start talking that she realizes Obi-Wan was right, and she futilely but desperately tries to get him back. At the sight of Obi-Wan he completely loses himself, and in a way, so does she through his Force choke of her. Their fates are intertwined and this is clearly shown in the film.

I was unspoiled, but knew she would die, as all characters of her type do. But I was surprised at Anakin's involvement in it and just how well it worked. And while I expected Padme to remain loyal to him until the very end, I never expected to hear her say, "there is still good in him." It's brilliant.

23. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Why does Padme get heartbroken?

Well it couldn't be that the man she loves turns completely evil and starts killing everyone...then almost chokes her to death...could that be it?

Anakin was blind. All he had were delusions of granduer.

24. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    She is scared of how she might find him and knows in her heart that something is not right

Exactly, my feeling :_|

she futilely but desperately tries to get him back

You know, there's something about that scene which reminds me of Leia's reaction to Luke desire to face Vader:

"No! Luke, run away, far away. If he can feel your presence, then leave this place. I wish I could go with you." - She's concerned for his life, and that he should just get away from it all.

While in ROTS, Padme says to Anakin/Vader: "Come away with me. Help me raise our child. Leave everything else behind while we still can"

Both instances the ladies, want the men to just avoid coming head on to trouble, with all that has happened.

Its a bit of an inverse (in addition to their relationship, but that's another thread) wherein Luke says he can bring his father back to the good side, while Anakin says he can destroy the Emperor.

Both instances the ladies were said to be strong "but cannot follow on the men's path", regardless.

25. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003

"Critics aren't crapping all over RoTS, it's been very well received. Probably the most intelligent review I've read is Stephen Hunter's from the Washington Post. However, this isn't about the critics. It's about how you can personally indentify with the story. It can be appreciated on a variety of levels, that's Lucas' genius. Children understand and accept it on one level and a Master's student in English can understand it on another. I can watch the films as pure entertainment or I can watch them as a study in hero mythology."

Where did I say critics were crapping on ROTS? I was speaking in general of the trilogy itself. Mainly tho little films called the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Unless your implying that ROTS is the only film of the three that has all these lofty and deep motiffed mythological archetypes and stuff.

"Padme's death is pathetic from your point of view. But from my point of view, it works perfectly on the level it was supposed to, and I figured it out all by myself."

It goes without saying that her death is pathetic from my point of veiw. That is obvious. I said a few post back that it was my opinion. But here you are saying you "figured it out all by myself". By saying you have, figured it out, doesnt that mean there is one specific and absolute conclusion to all this? Doesn't that say your point of veiw transcends opinion? Thats not right according to you- So, by your own logic, you have not figured out ANYTHING, you just carry a point of veiw that you have.;)

I say there is nothing to figure out. She dies for no reason because Lucas didn't want to commit to clear source. It leaves him room to babble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.