main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Queen Amidala sound different?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sifo-dyas1, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sifo-dyas1

Sifo-dyas1 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    my last thread was deleted im not sure y..i didnt see a thread on this..was just wondering y when padme was queen she sounded different...like everytime she spoke as the queen it didnt sound like when she spoke as padme in ep2

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I believe Natalie Portman's voice was digitally altered to provide the queen's voice.

I don't know what EU says, but I'd imagine that Naboo rulers either wear some kind of voice changing device or just talk differently. With all the handmaidens, decoys, etc, the queen's voice would need to sound different than her natural voice so that nobody would listen to handmaiden Padme speak and recognize her as the real queen.

3. SKSeven

SKSeven Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I've thought about this too.

Given that Padme was what, 14?, she'd want to deepen her voice to sound more official and regal. It's hard to be taken seriously when your breath sounds like a feather, you know? We naturally give more attention and respect to voices that sound 'adult'; deeper voices sound this way. She sounds like a queen, not some squeeing 14 year old girl.

4. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    She was "playing the role". Not quite role-playing. I mean, she knows what she is doing, but... she is acting as regal, commanding, and as royal as she can. She is trying to fill a seat with dignity. That brings certain manners and mannerisms. It is Naboo tradition/heritage that brings young queens to the throne. This has no bearing on her decision-making. Queen Amidala is quite wise.

But, when she is just plain old Padme Amidala, she is truly herself - a 14 yr. old kid. A wise young kid, but a queen nonetheless.

5. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    Basically she was playing 2 roles at once...LOL..Padme and the Queen...quite good acting if you ask me :)

6. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    If you renember back to TPM when she went around Tatooine with QG she had to change her voice so he would not be reconised as the queen same as when she has one of her handmaidens to act as her she needs to be in a different voice so i assume when she became a queen they tolled her to act "older and wiser" so people would listen and for her own protection.

7. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    For the character, it's elocution lessons. You need to sound authoritive and powerful when you're the leader of a planet. But it's all just an act for the people of Naboo. For the movie, Natalie only adopted an English accent on set but her voice was lowered a little in post production.

8. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    The same reason Palpatine sounds different from Darth Sidious. It's creating two different characters.

9. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I think its just a Naboo thing. [face_mischief]

10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Whatever the reason, I really hated Amidala's voice. Natalie and the post-production team did a great job with the voice, but I hated it worse than Jar Jar. It was so jarring. ;) Like nails on a chalkboard.

11. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    The Federation has gon tew fah!

[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.