main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Sidious/Palpatine keep his face hidden even when he meets Dooku meet on Coruscant?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth Sin, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Let me say before I go any further, this thread is not meant to create another debate over whether Sidious=Palpatine or not. I am some of you will be tempted anyway, but again this is not the intention of this thread, but rather to basically answer this simple question.

So as the title of this thread, Why does Sidious(Palpatine)keep his face hidden from Dooku when they meet together on Coruscant in that abandoned hangar?

There were many speculations long before AOTC came out that maybe Dooku does not know Sidious=Palpatine. But given they are the Sith, and plan the events that have been occurring, especially the clones and the Clone Wars; this is just to hard of a theory to be believed. Then there is the likelihood that it was Sidious/Palpatine that taught Dooku to master the dark side to the point that he can manifest Sith lightning as he did.

I believe Dooku knows that Sidious=Palpatine. So with this being the case, why does Palpatine have to cover and keep his face hidden when meeting Dooku??

Does Palpatine keep his face hidden, even in this abandoned hangar in the likelihood of surveillance or other types of hidden cameras?

Or is this just customary that since they both are the Sith, him being the master he even keeps his hood over his face?

And lastly, why did Lucas choose to show this scene with Sidious/Palpatine seemingly keeping his face hidden??

This scene has caused many to question whether Sidious=Palpatine, and whether Dooku even knows this fact. What reason could Lucas have for continuing what really is not a mystery?

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'm not sure if you will like my answer, but I think it is just to keep his identity hidden from the audience. I think Dooku can easily see the face of Darth Sidious in this scene.

3. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    because he looks cool feirce in the hood why take it off.

4. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Its nothing. Dont read so much into things.

Dont we see dark evil looking hoods, and think 'bad guy'? Puts dooku in his place.

5. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    Darth_Zidious,

There is nothing wrong with your answer, in fact that is what these boards are all about, that we continue speculating and theorizing on what we have been via the films.

Aguywithabiggun, I can why you would respond in this manner :). However, it is not that I am trying to read too much into this, but rather leading into Darth_Zidious thoughts as to why Lucas is still continuing to keep this from the audience.

But at the same time, I was not implying so much that he was trying to keep his face hidden from Dooku, but rather why does he need to cover his face at all when meeting with him?

Nevertheless, why is Lucas continuing to keep this debate going over whether Sidious=Palpatine(And I'm sure he does know this is happening), when by all reason we the audience know that Sidious and Palpatine are one and the same?

Very few characters in the films know that Sidious=Palpatine, and that looks only to be Dooku. And it was not until AOTC, and near the end that the Jedi have heard the name Sidious, and certainly have no idea who he is, what he looks like, or for that fact if he really exists.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Judging by the debate on the Ep3 boards, it looks like quite a few people don't buy the idea that Palp is Sid (lovely abbreviations :D ). I think it's one and the same person, but by keeping him hooded in TPM and AOTC Lucas is able to hold onto that tiny bit of doubt. Plus, he could be planning on a cool unveiling for Ep3 :)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another possibility is to hide his identity from any undetected observers- be easier to spot Supreme Chancellor Palpatine at a glance than from under the hood. Same might go for travel between his Office and the Sith Lair.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Psoriasis.

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Bless you.

10. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Darth_Sin wrote:
    "Why does Sidious(Palpatine)keep his face hidden from Dooku when they meet together on Coruscant in that abandoned hangar?

For that matter, why does he wear the hood at all after he declares himself Emperor?
    Why do we see him in it in TESB and ROTJ? Everyone knows at this point that he is Palpy.

No real reason, I'm sure, other than to look just plain creepy. Think about it. On the surface, Palpy looks somewhat normal. The only reason many of us think he looks creepy is because we know what's going on in that evil little mind of his. Sidious/Palpy wears the hood because that is what a creepy little Sith Lord does.

Besides, there's nothing particularly menacing about an old wrinkly, withered away dude with a cane.

*Prepares to turn everyone's stomach by introducing EU evidence to support his claim*

When Palpy moves on to a new clone body in the Dark Empire stories, he ditches the hood in favor of the appearance of a young and virile Sith Lord (Vader without the mask). Only when his clone starts to diminish does he re-don the hood.

virile - Having or showing masculine spirit, strength, vigor, or power

11. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Nevertheless, why is Lucas continuing to keep this debate going over whether Sidious=Palpatine(And I'm sure he does know this is happening), when by all reason we the audience know that Sidious and Palpatine are one and the same?

Although us modern sophisticated types ;) know that Palp = Sid, Lucas has said that the correct order to view the movies is 1-2-3-4-5-6. So those viewers will not know that an Empire is coming. And they won't necessarily know that Palp = Sid until it is confirmed sometime later (either in EP III or later). That is why I think Lucas keeps his identity hidden.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Plot device.

13. aguywithabiggun

Mar 27, 1999
    Darth Sin: lol

If I came off the wrong way, I apologize. All I was implying, in a childish manner no doubt, was that I dont really understand the question here! Maybe IM reading into YOUR post, because if you're simply asking why Sid remains cloaked, even though we all know who he is, then isnt the answer obvious? He's the bad guy!

However, if you're trying to reach deeper, I personaly can't speculate on any hidden reason why George would continue to hide the obvious. Maybe its NOT so obvious to the average viewer. Besides, some (including myself), are leaning into the idea of a clone sidious anyway, so if thats what you're trying to get at..

aguywithabiggun!

14. Togee

Togee Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2002
    Because that is how we know him in Return of the Jedi. He keeps his face hidden till the nearly the end the of movie. Character continuity.

15. Togee

Togee Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2002
    Remember Sidious didn't suddenly rise to power, so you have to plant the trail to follow. After all why make a movie at all since we all know how it all ends. But we want to know how it all began. That is what these preguels are for.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    hoods = evil and/or mysteriousness

17. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I read a really good idea for this once. Palpatine is really the mask Sidious wears. His true nature is Sidious, so when he's talking to his Sith apprentices, he is free to reveal his true self. When he's being a Senator or Chancellor, he has to put on his mask, which means taking off the hood and acting like a nice old man. Even his voice changes. He has to speak more softly, with less of the rasping and biting tone he normally uses.

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Interesting idea, Lord_Hydronium. I always assumed that Sidious was the secret identity of Palpatine, and not vice versa.

19. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, it's rather important that his face stays hidden for such a long time. It's more mysterious. Palpatine = Sidious will be the only suprise left when we look at SW in the right order (I-VI).

20. aguywithabiggun

Mar 27, 1999
    The only problem I have is that palp seem so out of place for such evil. Sidious is so hateful and rageful and it just drips from him in every word he utters.

So maybe the cloak and hood somehow help amplify the evil so that palpatine can access his dark power? Palp the man, though obviously seething with hidden agendas, doesnt seem controlled by the evil, like palp the monster.

I guess palp's just insane. He becomes sidious, but is sidious real, or a personification of some age old evil?

lol

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Maybe he´s just schizofrenic!

Seriously, I like the idea of Palp being the "mask" of Sid, but I would like to simplify it a bit:
    Sidious loves to wear the hood, simple as that!

22. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Quite simply it looks cool.

I'm one of those who doubts that Dooku knows that Sid = Palp but I think that Sidious uses the force to cloud Dooku on this, not a hood.

23. Darth Sin

Oct 14, 1999
    Lord_Hydronium, you are the man! :D

That is the best description I have heard concerning the Palpy/Sidious identity. And I wholeheartedly agree that the Palpatine identity is the mask for the Sidious identity which is his true self.

And this is probably the major reason he can keep himself hidden from the Jedi. In this thinking, he did not cease to be Palpatine and became Sidious, but was Sidious and created the identity of the unassuming Palpatine.

This actually made me consider Yoda, particularly when he fought Dooku. He loses the cane, brandishes his lightsaber and moves like no other Jedi we have ever seen before. But afterward, he picks up his cane and goes back to his bent over, slow moving state.

It is if he becomes someone else, but in reality this was the real Yoda.

24. LordMaul99

LordMaul99 Jedi Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    I really wouldn't look into that soooo much, b/c remember in ROTJ, when the Emperor arrives at the Death Star he is cloaked the same exact way when he's walking with Vader.

This scene in AOTC reminded me of that exact scene in ROTJ, & the feedback I got from it is "the begining of the end" for the Republic, much in the same way as it was for the Empire in ROTJ.

25. Caveman_Lawyer

Caveman_Lawyer Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    Maybe in EIII we will be treated to a "Gollum-esque" split personality showdown between Sid and Palps. ;)

Turning to his left: "But not Master Yoda. He is our friend."

Turning to his right:"You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you!"

etc.........

;) ;) nudge nudge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.