main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does Star Wars have a Family Revelation in each episode?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tion_Meddon, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    In each episode the characters learn about a new suprise in the Skywalker family, and each surprise is integral to the episode's plot:

I
    The Jedi learn
    Anakin Skywalker had no father.
    -Anakin is the Chosen One, and must be trained as a Jedi

II
    Anakin and Padme learn
    Shmi Skywalker married Cliegg Lars.
    -Shmi has died, and Anakin can't accept loved ones' fate

III
    Anakin learns
    Padme is pregnant.
    -Anakin goes to the darkside thinking she dies in childbirth, and the twins are the last hope

IV
    Luke learns
    his Father was a Jedi.
    -Luke wants to become a Jedi, and join the Rebels

V
    Luke learns
    his Father is Darth Vader.
    -Luke feels good in him, and is determined to save him

VI
    Luke and Vader learn
    Leia is their sister/daughter Skywalker.
    -Luke almost falls to the darkside, and she could be the Sith's other hope if Luke failed

Star Wars really is the tale of the Skywalker family!

2. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Star Wars is meant to be the tale of Anakin Skywalker.....

3. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I think Star Wars is the story of Emperor Palpatine. It is a cautionary tale about how a man can rise from insignificance to greatness, and how he can fall from greatness if he relaxes his grip and puts his trust in his associates.

4. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    If it were the story of Palps we'd know more about his past, his background, what led him to the point we see him at in TPM. We never got enough background on him to be a real character.

Palpy is nothing more than a plot device.

5. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    No. I think really did learn something quite remarkable about Palpatine/Sidious' past in ROTS. It's quite remarkable that a Sith Lord could speak of his former Master, who he himself had virtually admitted to murdering in his sleep, with such admiration.

It makes me look at the Sith in a new light.

Meh... Sidious only admired his former Master, Darth Plegueis because he was a scum-bag.

6. Mace_Winfield

Mace_Winfield Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Your all wrong, Star Wars is the story of C3P0 and his heroic adventures throughout space. Oh my!

As for the family revelation thing: Lucas did borrow from other directors, he probably borrowed from Days of Our Lives as well.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Because it is a Tale of the Skywalker Family. A Skywalker is in each movie. :)

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's the tale of R2-D2, the great and mighty Trashcan.

9. Starman1138

Starman1138 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    I thought it was the story of "JaJa Binks" and his clumsy antics?

10. Chewie_Bone

Chewie_Bone Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2005
    its the story of all of them, in a way that you cant describe in less than...what? The 12 hours that it takes to watch all the movies? (OT before PT though)

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Why are you so persistant that people should or even have to watch OT before PT? I mean, sure it's only a opinion. Still, please elaborate. Just because of the family revelations and IYO lack of explanation about the Force? You also mentioned the technology issue. This one is easy to explain. After war or under the rule of a dictatorship things that are not supported by the rulers don't have any money. The Empire are the only ones with good and new technology. Everything else looks old and used. Not that the PT is lacking a used look.

12. MasterRockhound

MasterRockhound Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    it is the story of Anakin skywalker, but it's actually told by R2-D2.

13. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    its about anikin lucas said it his self in an interview on this websit tf.n . anikin isint a foucased in4 but u lean so much about him. AND BY WATCHING sith u learn so much y anikin needed that suit. if anikin didnt have the suit no matter how corney he would have did the same way padme died. until luke and leia he found new love and he knew he had something to live for

14. Tyler_Boydston

Tyler_Boydston Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    The saga is about Anakin, his fall to the darkside and his redemption. Simple enough. Or is it? Yeah, it is.

15. cindylou

cindylou Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    I think to give a humanity look at what family is meant to be. It shows how all the characters are connected some how throught out the 6 movies.

May The Force Be With Us All!!!

16. BlueYeti

BlueYeti Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    It's a Christian-Redemptive story bowing down to the wonder that is the Hero's Journey model focusing on the birth, fall and redemption of Anakin/Darth Vader. The fact that each movie has a family revelation is another way to focus on this, and a way we can see just how completely Lucas bows to the idea of plot mirroring (if you pick up a how-to-write-fiction text on mirroring they'll always use SW as the primary example). 9 humanoid arms are chopped off in the making of the Saga - when Lucas finds one idea he doesn't let it go easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.