main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why does the Resistance celebrate at the end?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Why does the Resistance celebrate and cheer with happy faces at the end? The Republic capital at Hosnian Prime just got destroyed and there's absolutely nothing to be happy about

Even Leia doesnt seem to care much about it. She mourns the death of Han, but all in all she seems to be pretty happy about the current state of the galaxy.

Lol.

2. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    They're cheering that Rey is going to fetch Luke Skywalker, since, you know, the whole film is about finding him. It's not rocket science.

3. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Also the giant planet destroying weapon was just blown up.

4. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    They're cheering because Luke is gonna come back .... you know the guy who pretty much single handedly destroyed the Empire the last time. Kind of a big moment.

The same could be said for A New Hope too ... Alderaan has been blown up ... may be not appropriate to have big pomp medal ceremony and celebration?

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    was more than one planet destroyed ?

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Because they aren't all dead?

I think we are to believe an entire system was destroyed.

Chris_Fives and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    for the 3rd time

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    That X 4 and Rey is going to finally find Luke!

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    3d and final... RIGHT?

Dak Oolron and CakeThiefPro like this.
  10. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Because they just destroyed a giant ennemy base against all odds : no matter how you look at it, that's a victory.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Uh, allow me to give the real answer. Because that's what happens at the end of Ep IV. The heroes come back and everyone parties. Of course they merged that with Rey taking off but it was not a, "Luke's coming back!" party. It had been decades and they never heard from him. How would they know he's even still alive?

Lt. Hija and jimkenobi like this.
  12. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Leia would know. Force stuff.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Yeah, not to mention the fact that the Empire knows where their base is now. If they were treating the story with any kind of rigorous realism, that closing scene of ANH would have been of an emergency evacuation...but that's never been the SW approach to things.

Oh, and those who feel the dominant mood of the Resistance folks at the end of the film should have been despondency and anguish? Remind me never to pick you as an ally when faced with any kind of challenge or conflict. Thanks in advance.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Given they were the next target of that planet-sized Death Star you bet I have no problem with them celebrating!

I'm more worried what will now happen if they also wiped out the entire New Republic Navy since I can see the First Order and whatever Allies they have pressing their advantage!

15. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I get the feeling they're going to be changing bases again soon - much like they did back in the days of the Rebellion - since the First Order knows where they live now. But like Yavin, it's still a cause for celebration since they just destroyed a very immediate threat to not just them, but the entire galaxy.

On another note, I'm more worried about the state of the New Republic as a government since the capital at the time (along with the Senate) was destroyed. I know they rotate capitals every now and then, but there's going to be a lot of damage control needed considering they just lost a huge part of the government. Without an immediate (and politically competent) replacement, the galaxy is going to be in a bigger state of anarchy.

16. Catina barman

Catina barman Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2015
    Almost feels like they wiped out the inconvenience of having to have a New Republic, now they can properly rehash Rebellion vs Empire in name now as technically The First Order is an empire/imperial.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    They found Luke. [face_batting]

18. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

Doubtful. In no way is the consequence of this a rehash: either we have anarchy and lawlessness or the Republic rebuilds. Unless you are suggesting the FO takes over the entire galaxy by Ep VIII? They suffered a setback too you know...

19. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Because they know Rey will attract the attention of the First Order and they are glad shes ****ing off somewhere else

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. DarthBroem

DarthBroem Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    They are just happy to have destroyed the latest planet-destroying weapon and not be killed in the process. The immediate threat has been eliminated. There was no medal ceremony this time at least. Potentially gaining Luke would be a plus to if Rey can convince him to rejoin the Resistance. Yes, they will evacuate before the next film begins. Leia is undoubtedly hoping her brother can help destroy the First Order and turn her son back from the dark side. So, hence the somewhat hopefulless from Leia . It sounds like Han and Leia were broke up for years following Ben's turn to the dark side. Sure, it pains her but that's another reason she isn't wadded up in a ball of grief. I'm sure she is sad but not completely devastated by Han's death. Or maybe it has not sunk in yet and it does sink in later on.

21. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005

Actually I'm pretty sure it was to take the Republic off the table from a storytelling perspective. They might well "rebuild" but wont' be an important part of the story until maybe Episode IX's climax (when you can have the Rebel Fleet show up to do...whatever). And in the meantime, you get "plucky Reb-I mean Resistance underdogs against evil wannabe-Empire!"

The funny part is that unless the First Order is a lot bigger than the various media is giving the impression of them being, it's really just two relatively small groups of die-hards going at it with each other.

22. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002

And that's a new thing! Anarchy, plus a resistance group trying to stop the spread of a new empire. We haven't seen that.

23. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    "Uh..." did you miss the whole map thing? You know where they're all standing around in the Resistance Base and watch R2 and BB-8 put the map to Luke together? Stupid post.

24. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    They were celebrating before that.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yep. The New Republic's senate was on Hosnian Prime so you can bet many, if not all, of the republic's senators were also killed.

So, the government of the NR was basically destroyed.

This opens up a power vacuum I'm sure people will be rushing in to fill.

The galaxy is about to get really chaotic…if it wasn't already.

We basically started Episode 7 without a galactic hegemon(unlike the OT and PT) and we ended with both the NR and FO both suffering setbacks.

Essentially we ended Ep. 7 with the galaxy in a non-polar state.

Never been depicted in a SW film before.

dolphin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.