main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does WNU still exist?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Frankly it's been pointless for a while, since there haven't been that many new users and the board isn't big enough anymore to require acclimatization or whatever its original purpose was. Is there any reason to keep it open?

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Something something montie wnu aim chatroom something something yeah lock it down.

3. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Yes, this is getting awkward.

4. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    Something that has recently become more clear than ever is that WNU is not actually a forum that welcomes new users. Especially now that there are no new users. Let's look at the users who have posted there in the past week.

Of the five people who have posted, only one of them could even think of considering themselves a new user, though after seven months, you would think a user could have transitioned into one of the "grown up" boards. Especially if Welcome New Users board is functioning properly and helping new users find what it is they have come to the JC to find.

I also think it is interesting that three of the posters are either mods or VIPs at least in part due to their contributions to the WNU board.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I guess it pays to be friends with the right people.
    I bet strilo did more than these people on an actual active board. Look what that got him.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Even when I was a new user, I wondered why the hell someone would actually need a Welcome New Users forum. :p

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    WNU should stay open. If it were to close, then there would be no need for this thread - which is in itself ensuring we may as well keep Comms open.

Random Comments likes this.
  8. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    BURN IT DOWN

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    WNU was pretty lame to start with. it's not like message boards are some kind of crazy, obscure concept people need to adjust themselves to.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    WNU is easily the most worthless/useless forum we've got here.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I propose we change it to Unwelcome Old Users, and have the bitter, hated 98-01ers post there.

12. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Does this board exist? :confused: :p

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
  14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    While I chuckle at the silly posts, I do hope it doesn't let people think this thread is meant as a joke.

There really is no need for a board to WNU when there aren't any.

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I'm confused. What exactly does "Does this board exist?" mean in this context? The fact that your entire post had a 3:4 ratio of emoticons to words doesn't really foster discussion...

16. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Perhaps it is referring to Comms?

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I can't believe our tax dollars go to paying for pork like WNU's operating expenses. Those corrupt Mods who post in there are all sucking the life out of our budget; taking government pay for overseeing important municipal committees such as Costuming and Props, SW Community, and Pancakes & Waffles... and then, turning around and getting tenure and free healthcare for "managing" the sham that is WNU. This irresponsible leadership has got to be stopped.

Random Comments likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    While it doesn't serve a purpose now it will again once we move to our new digs. I say just kind of leave it alone or lock it on a temp basis.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, the hordes of newbies we're sure to get after the move will certainly require a place for pillow fight role play.

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    There was never really a reason for it to begin with and there certainly won't be after the move. It's not so much about resources being used, but if things like 3NS got shut down after they no longer served a purpose, then why should WNU stay open?

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think there was probably just cause for a period when this place was at it's height.

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Registration problems aside, I don't see the point of WNU even with new users. Message boards are so common on the Internet these days that I don't see why any forum needs a section dedicated to helping new users learn their way around. I say to move the pillow fight to YJCC, the RPF Academy to the RPR, the "how did you come up with your username" thread somewhere else (maybe Comms or YJCC?), the "getting 20 posts" thread to Comms, and then shut it down for good.

23. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I don't really agree that there never was a reason for it to begin with. Back in the day it was really busy with newbies posting their welcome threads and such. I agree that it's suffered the same result as the rest of the forums in terms of being slow. I also concur with Rox that when we move, it will probably be needed again. I don't really think it's incredibly necessary to lock it right now but I do see the point that since no new people can register the purpose of the forum is pretty much in limbo until we do move.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I don't see any harm in keeping it open during the transition. It's not hurting anyone. Besides, many of our forums have evolved beyond their simple Star Wars origins and each has their own community. If you want to review WNU in the future, a simple solution could just be to call it something different.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think we should have a "re-name wnu" contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.