Why does WNU still exist?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Frankly it's been pointless for a while, since there haven't been that many new users and the board isn't big enough anymore to require acclimatization or whatever its original purpose was. Is there any reason to keep it open?
  2. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Something something montie wnu aim chatroom something something yeah lock it down.
  3. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, this is getting awkward.
  4. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Something that has recently become more clear than ever is that WNU is not actually a forum that welcomes new users. Especially now that there are no new users. Let's look at the users who have posted there in the past week.

Of the five people who have posted, only one of them could even think of considering themselves a new user, though after seven months, you would think a user could have transitioned into one of the "grown up" boards. Especially if Welcome New Users board is functioning properly and helping new users find what it is they have come to the JC to find.

I also think it is interesting that three of the posters are either mods or VIPs at least in part due to their contributions to the WNU board.
  5. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    I guess it pays to be friends with the right people.
    I bet strilo did more than these people on an actual active board. Look what that got him.
  6. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Even when I was a new user, I wondered why the hell someone would actually need a Welcome New Users forum. :p
  7. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    WNU should stay open. If it were to close, then there would be no need for this thread - which is in itself ensuring we may as well keep Comms open.
    Random Comments likes this.
  8. TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost

star 5
  9. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    WNU was pretty lame to start with. it's not like message boards are some kind of crazy, obscure concept people need to adjust themselves to.
  10. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    WNU is easily the most worthless/useless forum we've got here.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]
  11. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I propose we change it to Unwelcome Old Users, and have the bitter, hated 98-01ers post there.
  12. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    [face_laugh]

Does this board exist? :confused: :p
  13. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  14. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    While I chuckle at the silly posts, I do hope it doesn't let people think this thread is meant as a joke.

There really is no need for a board to WNU when there aren't any.
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm confused. What exactly does "Does this board exist?" mean in this context? The fact that your entire post had a 3:4 ratio of emoticons to words doesn't really foster discussion...
  16. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Perhaps it is referring to Comms?
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I can't believe our tax dollars go to paying for pork like WNU's operating expenses. Those corrupt Mods who post in there are all sucking the life out of our budget; taking government pay for overseeing important municipal committees such as Costuming and Props, SW Community, and Pancakes & Waffles... and then, turning around and getting tenure and free healthcare for "managing" the sham that is WNU. This irresponsible leadership has got to be stopped.
    Random Comments likes this.
  18. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    While it doesn't serve a purpose now it will again once we move to our new digs. I say just kind of leave it alone or lock it on a temp basis.
  19. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yes, the hordes of newbies we're sure to get after the move will certainly require a place for pillow fight role play.
  20. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    There was never really a reason for it to begin with and there certainly won't be after the move. It's not so much about resources being used, but if things like 3NS got shut down after they no longer served a purpose, then why should WNU stay open?
  21. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I think there was probably just cause for a period when this place was at it's height.
  22. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Registration problems aside, I don't see the point of WNU even with new users. Message boards are so common on the Internet these days that I don't see why any forum needs a section dedicated to helping new users learn their way around. I say to move the pillow fight to YJCC, the RPF Academy to the RPR, the "how did you come up with your username" thread somewhere else (maybe Comms or YJCC?), the "getting 20 posts" thread to Comms, and then shut it down for good.
  23. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I don't really agree that there never was a reason for it to begin with. Back in the day it was really busy with newbies posting their welcome threads and such. I agree that it's suffered the same result as the rest of the forums in terms of being slow. I also concur with Rox that when we move, it will probably be needed again. I don't really think it's incredibly necessary to lock it right now but I do see the point that since no new people can register the purpose of the forum is pretty much in limbo until we do move.
  24. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Yeah I don't see any harm in keeping it open during the transition. It's not hurting anyone. Besides, many of our forums have evolved beyond their simple Star Wars origins and each has their own community. If you want to review WNU in the future, a simple solution could just be to call it something different.
  25. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i think we should have a "re-name wnu" contest.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.