main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn´t Luke block Palps lightning?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chester_Desmond, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester_Desmond

Chester_Desmond Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    He should be powerful enough. If he didn´t know how to do it, why didn´t Yoda teach him? Yoda must have known that Palp is a huge fan of using lightning :)

2. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Yoda was too tired to think about that.

I bet Luke didn't even know what force lightning is.

3. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I think he tries but he's just not strong enough to keep Palpatine's lightning away.

4. Chester_Desmond

Jun 1, 2005
    I think it is a plot hole. If Vader wouldn´t have interferred Yoda would have sent Luke to certain death. Did Yoda KNOW Vader was gonna interfer? As far as I know, but Obi-Wan and Yoda wants Luke to kill his father. Otherwise "the Emperor has already won".

5. Chester_Desmond

Jun 1, 2005
    Also, shouldn´t Luke be strong enough?! I thought he was as strong as Anakin. If not.. sending him to the Emperor is like putting him in a meat grinder...

Smells like plot hole...

6. BlackChocobo

BlackChocobo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Luke is nowhere near as strong a jedi as Anakin or Palpatine. It would have been impossible for him to block the sith lightning. Perhaps Yoda and Obi-Wan thought that Palps and Vader's powers had weakened considerably over the years(which they did, but not enough). Or, perhaps they were counting on Vader to turn. Perhaps, still, they were overestimating Luke's own abilities.

7. Darth_Juggalo

Darth_Juggalo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    All the jedi who have blocked the force lightning have had years of training in the manipulation and usage of the force. Luke has had nowhere near that much training. He is as strong in the force as Anakin, but he has not learned to use it to the full potential.

8. darth_timmy586

darth_timmy586 Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    he probably wasn't expercienced in the force enough to block it, he might not of even have heard of force lightening, the lightening probably came as a bit of a shock to him.
    Or maybe he did know about and he was just faking pain so that he could turn vader back to the light.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He would have been able to block it with his lightsaber, but he chose to throw it away, because he realised that he had to if he was to have any hope of redeeming his father. He would redeem him or die trying.

Luke is very wise
    /LM

10. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Lars_Muul is correct.

Luke throws down his weapon because he is refusing to fight anymore, he is putting himself at the Emperor's mercy and basically putting his life into his father's hands. Its not that he hasn't been trained well enough or that he is arrogant and underestimating the Emperor. He doesn't want to block Palpatine's attacks, he is putting faith in his father and thats the only way to bring Anakin back.

11. DarthSurge

DarthSurge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    yes lars is correct, and he wasnt expecting or knew that palps can use lighting

12. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    in the novel of ROTJ, luke realizes that if its "fprce generated, it can be force repelled" and succesfully blocks Palpatines lightning at first, until Palpatine puts more power into his attack and the blasts come to quickly

13. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    1. Throws away his lightsaber
    2. DUH-not as powerful as Yoda (the only Jedi to catch lightning with his hands).

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    <<<<<Smells like plot hole...>>>>>>

:rolleyes:

15. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    No plot hole.

1.Did Yoda and even know Emperor was on the Death Star?
    2. That is what you get when you leave in the middle of your training. He learned what seemed like entry-level padwan general things about the force. It isnt like they had time to get into specifics about individuals.

16. Chester_Desmond

Jun 1, 2005
    "Luke has had nowhere near that much training"

Then why does Yoda tell Luke his training is complete? That "nothing more I have to learn".

17. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    the rest he learned he taught himself. Still doesnt mean he had ever seen anything such as sith lightning.

18. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    the words plot hole remind me of the words pot hole (aka in the road), people scream it way too often, never seeing the ones they really need to look for.

19. Lord_Amustar

Lord_Amustar Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I think Lucas wanted the Emperor to seem like a badass, and give him a power that was "uniquely his". I didn't think at the time he could have other characters use that same power too, so it has to be a plot hole.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    How is Luke choosing not to defend himself a plothole?

Luke doesn't want to
    /LM

21. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I think it is a plot hole. If Vader wouldn´t have interferred Yoda would have sent Luke to certain death. Did Yoda KNOW Vader was gonna interfer? As far as I know, but Obi-Wan and Yoda wants Luke to kill his father. Otherwise "the Emperor has already won".

Yoda does not mention killing anyone he says you must confront vader. and what yoda knows is that anakin was the chosen one all along and nothing can get in the way of that. anakin would destroy the sith in the end no matter what. if luke had not come it wouldve happened at some later time after the rebellion was destroyed. luke's roll was to save the rebellion.

and to answer the original question, luke is just not a strong enough jedi yet to block sith lightning, its that simple. and as someone said, yoda may not even know that the emperor is there with vader because as we know, "the dark side clouds everything."

anyone who thinks there is a plot hole needs to go to wal-mart and purchase a more effective brain.

22. Ackgra

Ackgra Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Luke doesn't block the force lightning so shouldn't he be scarred like Sideous?

23. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    I can't see him blocking the lightning using his hands but there could have been a chance that he would be able to block it with his lighsaber. Too bad he threw it on the ground. Nevertheless I think he was too much of a noob to completely block the emperors lightning.

24. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Luke isn't scarred by the lightning, because unlike the emporer who was lying on a metal window frame and basically sevring as a human lighting rod,

Luke had a metal hand, and had the other hand on the post thingamabober he's leaning on, so the lighting just grounded itself into the ramp

that's why people wear those rist band thingamabobers when they're fixing computers, electricity only burns when it has nothing to ground in..
    ..of course both anakin and obiwon get zapped in AOTC and nothing happens to them, so who knows

25. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    People are so quick to dismiss things as plot holes without actually thinking about it. As others have said, Luke would have been able to deflect it with his lightsaber if he hadn't decided to throw it away. I don't think that he was experienced enough to stop it with his bare hands. We saw in RotS that even Yoda could be overwhelmed by Palpatine's lightning. Where's the plot hole?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.