main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Doesn't Anakin React To The Emperor's Transformation?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Alexander_DeLarge, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander_DeLarge

Alexander_DeLarge Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    This really bugs me. Palpatine morphes into this hideous decrepit monster right in front of Anakin's face, yet he NEVER even for a nanosecond appears aghast at what has transpired. WTH? Did this seem just a tad bit bizarre to anybody else?

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    No, because at that point Anakin had decided that whatever happen's he has got to keep Palpatine alive in order to be able to save Padme. His sole prupose in that moment is to be able to keep Palpatine alive so he can use his power. He isn't interested in Palpatine as a person or Mace as person. His only priority is Padme and keeping Padme with him. He doesn't react to Palpatine's transformation, because he doesn't care.

3. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    the novel says that he is disgusted at the hiedous creautre before him but at this point he's willing to serve anyone for Padme.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, he does have more important things to worry about, like the fact that he just soled his soul to Palptine and had just killed Windu.

5. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    The book also says that Anakin finds Palpatine's visage "interesting". It's not clear in what sense.

6. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    "i can't join you.....you're one ugly ****

Nah - it would ruin the flow of the scene for me.

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well Mace didn't respond either. I don't know if this is really a big deal though. I mean if his face was scarred by the lightning then it must have been pretty straight forward to them what happened. And if it was Sidious' true face emerging, again, if the look of deformed Sidious and Maul were in line with what the traditional Sith in ancient times looked like, then it still wouldn't have been something heavily disturbing to either Mace or Anakin. While the Senate which probably has little interest in the Jedi vs. Sith conflict and doesn't know what happened to Palpatine, needed an explanation.

8. TheCat

Feb 21, 2001
    "I'm going to end this once and for all"\

"You can't....its not the jedi way"

"He fails to please me aesthetically"

"Noooooooo"

"Urrrrggghhh Aggghhhh Agggghhhh"

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    "He's too ugly to be left alive."

"It's just allergies... oh don't kill me, please."

10. TheCat

Feb 21, 2001
    "I'm going to end this once and for all" [Mace gets out foundation, eyeliner and blusher]

OK...I promise no more

11. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    Palpatine-"Henceforth, you shall be known as Darth...Vader"

Anakin- "Damn, you one ugly mutha *****. You best be gettin to a dermatologist"

Palpatine-"First Maul disses my nose, now this"

12. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    yet he NEVER even for a nanosecond appears aghast at what has transpired. WTH?

Huh ?? Yes he does. He raises his arm and cloak to shield himself from the disgusting sight and the lightning (a lot of good that would do against lightning :p). His reaction is kind of like Eeeww, what a mess.

13. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    I think he's like "This has been such a *****-up day that absolutely nothing can startle me or shock me anymore."

Star it all out, please. :)

14. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Anakin knows that looks aren't important - it's what a person is like on the inside that counts.O:)

15. PANAKIN_Hightalker

PANAKIN_Hightalker Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    In AOTC, Anakin watches a fairly decent looking woman (albeit, a Humanoid/Changeling) shape-shift into a hideous demon spawn looking thing. I think by the time of ROTS he has a particular high tolerance to normal-looking sentients morphing into nature's nightmares.

16. Darth_Ogawa

Darth_Ogawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005

Yeah, he seems quite casual about it though. It's like Anakin is shocked by it yet compelled by the display of power at the same time.

Mace does respond. His anger and disgust at Palpatine seems to grow as Palps' face gets more and more animated and warped. And when Palps gives Mace that wide-eyed sith eyes look, it makes Mace snap.

17. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    He's been from one end of the galaxy to the other, and seen a lot of strange stuff...

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He does react a bit, but it's very sutble. An overt reaction would totally kill the mood of the scene.

19. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Anakin is too preoccupied with Anakin to really notice anything...

20. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

He grew up on Tatooine. Did you see all the crazy looking creatures at the Pod Race?
    He hung out with Jar Jar. He's been around the Tusken raiders and General Grievous.
    and he's gonna get freaked out at Sidious?

I don't think so!

21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    [Yoda's Voice]I agree.[/Yoda's Voice]

Anakin was useed to aliens who looked like things from people's worst nightmares or from the very bowls of H-E-Double hockeysticks, so Sidious's face was no diffrent. If they had him throwing up and acting sick in that scene, it would ruin it. It's about Anakin's fatal desicion, not him getting sick over a hidious face.

22. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    A very interesting question, which I've wondered about myself.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that Anakin was in shock.

So much happened so quickly not everything was registering .

He was not thinking straight. If he had, NONE of what followed would have happened.

23. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    I think Anakin was more concerned about what he's just done and what Sidious is then telling him to do than to concern himself with his mentor's face which now looks like a moldy pancake.

24. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well if instead of Revenge of the Sith we got Ernest Goes to the Darkside it would have been different!

ERNEST: What have I done, Vern?

PALPATINE: You're fullfilling your destiny, Ernest.

Ernest looks at Palpatine and then looks straight into the camera.

ERNEST: *Classic Ernest Ew face* Eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

25. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    I think Yoda should've commented on his face

Palpatine-"Master Yoda, you survived"

Yoda-"A vagina your forehead has become, emperor"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.