main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't anybody "get" the acting style?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CuppaJoe, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    A lot of people don't really seem to "get" the acting style of the prequels. As Lucas said, it's supposed to be like how the actors acted in the movies of the thirties and fourties. And if you watch movies made in those eras, you'll see that the actors really do act and talk similar (I'm actually thinking of watching the prequels in black in white to see if they have that old feel). However, some people who do get it, or think they do, go off and say "it's just Lucas' excuse for bad acting!" Although I really disagree. It seems way too intentional.

Strilo edit: Threads based strongly on overt generalizations like this rarely go well.

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Verrrrry dangerous, this path is. Any thread about the acting in the PT is sorta like popping your head out of your foxhole during a mortar barrage.

You answered your own question when you said it's like movies from the 30's and 40's. Your average Star Wars watcher is probably not a big fan of old black and white movies (I know some are, though, so please hold the flames). It's not just movies that old either. War movies from the 60s and 70s have dialogue that reminds me of Star Wars. Watch The Battle of the Bulge, IMO, they are similar. Even last year's Troy had the same sort of "describing the action" dialogue.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I get it, and I think Lucas and his cast hit that style dead on.

I can understand some people preffering a more "realistic" acting style, but I can't for the life of me figure out the people who act like the classic trilogy was any different in that regard.

I couldn't have asked for better performances in a Star Wars film. It might not be right for other kinds of movies, but it's part of what makes Star Wars special in it's own right.

4. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    It is true that all throughout the saga, the dialogue, acting, and story had a comfortable corny-ness to it. To be fair though, the PT has a distinct style from the OT, as the dialogue is far more formal than the OT's was. This difference in style may not work well with some people, which is fair, but others choose to see it as a failure on the part of the actor/director/writer/editor/etc...

In the end though, it really doesn't matter what was intended, what does matter is whether the films work. For some they do not, and for others, like myself, they do.

5. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    A lot of people are used to the dumbed down movies of today, so they don't understand a movie where every frame has purpose. And a lot of people today are just too ignorant to understand that last statement.

6. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i definitely think lucas' writing was intentionally lame. i just wish the prequels had cooler dialogue like in the ot

7. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I would not use a word as harsh as "lame", but it wasn't meant to be perfect acting.

8. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Imagine how great Star Wars would be if Lucas went the route of GOOD acting and dialogue! :eek:

9. Ashton

Ashton Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    I understood perfectly what Lucas attempted to do with the acting and dialogue of the PT. Just a shame that soo many people consider it as "corny" dialogue and "bad" acting. Lucas wanted the style to be similar to the 30s and 40s. We're just not used to this kind of formal acting, and corny dialogue.

Fantastic Four: Women - "You're hot."
    Fire Guy - "So are you." :rolleyes:

10. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    ^^I agree. It's the same with the "corny" balcony / love scenes. I think they're intentionally shown the way they are. They are supposed to create a contrast between the "real life" situation in AOTC and ROTS, and a dream world Anakin and Padme are dreaming up and would like to live their love in. They are shown this way to show how unrealistic this dreamworld is.

11. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    /\/\/\/\

Most modern films try to be (or are) 'cool' (whatever that may be... [face_thinking] )
    The PT (or SW) isn't trying to be cool, or isn't trying to live up to that trendy (and a lot of times 'dumb is ok smart is stupid'-what's up with that anyway?!) kinda thing which has nothing to do with the GFFA, or in a more general sense with the artist's intent. GL clearly doens't walk that way which upsets some parties, I guess mostly the media cause they are suckers for the cool factor anyways...

I have much respect for people who walk their own way. [face_peace]

12. Cmndr_Thire

Cmndr_Thire Jedi Master

Jun 20, 2005
    Some might say that Star Wars is mindblowingly great already, without having to imagine, whatever that means.
    From my POV the acting style is the perfect synergy of epic intergalactic tragedy & comic book action, and given the super-exotic places, characters and events that it portrays, it functions perfectly well. Any other style would feel un-Star Wars, so kudos to GL for doing it his way.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah Star Was -is- great in part because of it's unique style.

14. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, the acting was bad on purpose... keep telling yourselves that

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    No it's not bad in the first place.

16. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I don't think you really disagree with me, I think you just don't "get" my posting style

17. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Since when is bad acting a "style"?

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's not bad acting, it's stylized. It's meant to pay homage to the serials these movies were based on.

And it's been this way since the first Star Wars movie was released.

19. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Since when is bad acting a "style"?

the acting isn't bad, the acting itself is a style, or is stylized in a way which differs greatly from the styles put into practice today.

Bad is a point of view. :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.