main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't anyone stay Dark ? Post OT characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DEWORE-DEWKNOT, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Woops.

Anyway, why hasn't anyone since Vader gone Dar and stayed there for awhile ? I mean Luke, Corran,Leia,Kyp and Jania have put their toe in the door but none of them stayed for awhile. Shoot Jania only took a few pages and she was done with it.

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see someone go Dark and stay there for awhile and cause some havac with the Light side.

2. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    i think what would be more interesting would be for the jedi order and nr be forced to fight alongside a dark jedi against the YV (kinda' like in SbS)...

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    You forgot about one of the darkest Dark Lords of the Sith ever - Lumiya. One only needs to see her "concession" speech to Luke after he won to see that while Luke won, Lumiya will never be defeated.

Vader was weak - he cracked and turned good when the evil chips were down. Lumiya's been out there whipping the butt of the Light Side for many, many years now.

4. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Genghis12

I forgot about her. But do you see my point ? In modren times noone has went Dark and Stayed Dark.

After NJO This is what I want to see most, good Light against Dark action with people using the force again.

Oh, I also forgot about Darth Maul. He stayed Dark, he just got killed.( too early)

5. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Who's this Lumiya, Where does she come in coz I don't remember her???

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Most Sith Lords went dark and stayed so. Kun, Lumiya, Palpatine ("Sidious"), Bane, Nadd, and so on...

7. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Lumiya is the successor to Palaptine's role as the Sith Master. She's the next Dark Lord of the Sith after him in the "movie line" of Sith.

She can be found throughout all of Marvel's Star Wars comic as well as in any number of subsequent sources beginning in about 1994/5 or so.

If Marvel's series is difficult for you to find,you'll be able to read about her later on this year as Dark Horse Comics will be reprinting the entire monthly series (110 issues) in its entirety collected in seven trade paperback books. Shira Brie appeared in the middle of the series, and later became Lumiya who was around in the later issues.

You can check TOS and get the official summary of her here:
    Lumiya
    And find out about her in Luke's Databank Entry as well.

8. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
  9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    And we're also forgetting Mara Jade. She's stayed dark as well. ;) In fact, she's accomplished the one thing that the Emperor, Vader, Exar Kun, etc. have all been unable to do. She's destroyed Luke Skywalker. :D

10. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    A thought so nice you said it twice. ;)

But seriously, the reason I think so many main EU characters go to the dark side and them come back is because it makes more interesting for the author to write that character and for fans to read. For example Kam Solusar is a lot more interesting character since he has this dark past. If he was just some dude who helps Luke and married Tionne then I don't think people would find him as interesting as they do.

11. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    D'oh, I must have hit "post reply" instead of "edit." Becoming senile and all. :D

12. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    99 registration... Typical.

13. loser_fett

Nov 5, 2001
    Its ok Genghis, we got a nice rest home we're sending all the 99'ers to. You can sleep in till 11, they bring in puppies and kittens on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nurses give you sponge baths, and a whole library full of Tim Zahn books...
    No, Genghis what are you doing..
    NO GENGHIS PUT DOWN THOSE MATCHES!

loser_fett runs away screaming

j/k ;)

14. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    Because most EU authors are like Stackpole. They create a character, and then forget about the established SW heros (that sell the books) like Luke, Han and Leia and make their character the center of the story and the BIG hero in the end. So most authors make their character turn to the darkside, then like a true hero, turn back and save the day.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I was extremely dissapointed after finishing DJ and Jaina for all intents and purposes has returned to the light, or begun the journey back in the very least. For myself that plotline is a double edged sword indeed : With Kyp now Jaina's Master he will probably become more involved and more of a central character, and being a huge Kyp fan Im loving that. But, on the other hand, the fact that Jaina has seemingly returnd to the Light with barely a whimper (in the scheme of things) terribly dissapoints me. Hopefully her return will not be as easy as we think and she will continue to struggle with the Dark side.

16. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    DJ SPOILERS

First, I dont think Jaina full went dark, so a return isn't so big. She was getting there though.

Secondly, she hasn't returned yet. Think an alcoholic who has just admitted he has a problem. Is he okay now? No way.

END

17. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    It's almost a joke to say Jania went Dark. She was mischievous at best. 5 pages or so and its alright now. What a hurried ending for an otherwise good book. But that post has already been addressed

After NJO, wouldn't it be nice to read about the battle between Light and Dark.

For that to happen someone will have to fall and stay down for awhile.

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Sounds like one more example of the EU undermining the movies. Anakin was supposed to the unique in his ability to turn back from the Dark Side. Apparently it happens all the time. [face_plain]

19. loser_fett

Nov 5, 2001
    How exactly does that undermine the movies? None of the characters who turned back to the light brought balance to the force by doing so. Anakin's sacrifice still has a lot of weight IMO.

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Funny, Luke turned to the dark side briefly in RoTJ in order to protect Leia from having Palpatine and Vader turn her. It was only after he saw what he had done, where his anger had lead him that he turned back. In fact, he probably didn't even realize he'd turned to the dark side. Luke beat Vader in turning back from the dark side.

And Obi-Wan also briefly turned in TPM. He was furious at what had happened to his beloved teacher. So he used a power that would make him even more deadly to Maul. But he realized he'd ever so briefly turned. And he very quickly turned back, which is more the test that made him a Knight than defeating Maul.

21. RiggsWolfe

RiggsWolfe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    Neither Luke nor Obi Wan turned in the movies. They briefly let anger control them, but both of them pulled back. Luke from the brink of the Dark Side. Obi Wan was never close really.

22. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    No, they turned. Both gave in to their anger and found strength in it.

23. Deviot

Deviot Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2001
    I also do not beleive Obi-won or Luke turned to the dark side in the movies. They just became a bit emotional(angry heh), but they did not go dark.

There is a differemce between being angry(even though it is bad) and turning to the darkside. It is not so easy to turn to the darkside and back in a few minuts.

24. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    No, the qhole point of both of those situations was that they stopped before they could turn t the Dark Side. They stopped themselves before it was too late. And the point of both of their experiences is that they refused the Dark Side forever. They became Jedi and it was no longer possible for them to turn. Anakin fully turned to the Dark Side, probably before he legitimatly faced the trials and became a Jedi. It was established by Yoda that turning from the Dark Side was unthinkable. Luke didn't believe him and sucessfully turned Anakin back. That was a unique situation. Then apparently the EU has people changing teams back and forth like it's a dodge ball game.

25. loser_fett

Nov 5, 2001
    They stopped themselves before it was too late
    I think this situation describes a number of the people in the EU who touched the dark side. A number of those listed never passed the point of no return, esp Leia, Corran, Jaina, and arguably Luke in DE. Besides, like I said before, none of these people brought balance to the Force by turning back, like Anakin did. The EU is only undermining the movies because you want it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.