main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why doesn't Chewbacca defend The Force?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthWilliams, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ^^There you go. I live in a very conservative gun-hugging, Bible-toting part of the Pacific Northwest. I have a co-worker who is athiest. If he gets into a conversation with someone over religion or other issues he doesn't believe in- I'm not going to jump in and yell "YOU'RE WRONG!!!" Especially if said co-worker was my boss. Wrong as though I feel he may be, so long as he doesn't offend, it is not my place to put him down. Chewie's relationship with Han is extremely deep. Even the look he throws at Han when they're packing up reward on Yavin gets a firm reprimand, he certainly won't cry foul on board ship in front of others.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I never got the perception that he was laughing at the Force. I got the impression that he was Chewie being Chewie :p

3. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I wouldn't say they contradicted each other, because Chewie shows no opinion on the force in either movie aside from his grunts and such.

Andy Wylde and Darkslayer like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's the point. True story, in 1988, I had a conversation with my best friend about religion. I said that I believed in God, but I didn't see the need to go to church since I wasn't raised that way. A decision my dad had forced on us. My friend had believed that it was important to go to church, since his parents believed in going and had done all the rites of passage for their religion. Fast forward to 1996, there's a different conversation. My beliefs remained the same, but he no longer believed in going to church, much less in God. There was a conversation, but one that stopped short of getting heated. That's what happens in life. Points of view change. Mine hasn't. In fact, the only change is that I firmly believe in things that devout worshipers would find heretical and that's fine. But I don't talk about it. That's why you don't see me in places like the Senate, talking about religion. I avoid it because I don't want to argue about religion. That's a fight that is more futile to take part in than the debates about six films made by George Lucas, as well as the place that the EU has in the franchise.

Andy Wylde, Sarge and Mr. K like this.
  5. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    "
    I disagree. Something along the lines of.... "I agree Chewie, where did you dig up that old fossil?"

6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    How much exposure did Chewie actually have to Yoda and all his feats with the Force? I don't remember.

Because if all he remembers is the Jedi getting wiped out by Order 66 and having to help Yoda run for his life... then maybe it made him reconsider whether the Jedi were really all that they were cracked up to be in his era. Maybe he concluded that Jedi capabilities were very exaggerated by Republic propaganda, and that it might in fact be "all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense" and "no match for a good blaster at your side."

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ^^wow. You've actually generated new thoughts in my brain. It hurts.

It was amazing how fast the Republic turned on the Jedi. If there were second thoughts about the powers of the Jedi, they weren't displayed that day Palpatine declared himself Emperor in the Senate Rotunda.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The Jedi clearly became fugitives of the Republic before Chewie's eyes, I think he understands it's not wise to brag about fighting alongside a Jedi. Never meeting Obi-Wan, Chewie might even doubt his authenticity as a Jedi due to his age, coupled with the fact that it's widely believed that the Jedi were outright extinct.

9. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    Maybe got amnesia or something and forgot all about the force and yoda. Probably not though...

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    After 2 decades of the Jedi being destroyed and the Empire making their lives difficult even Chewie might be a bit sarcastic about their return and/or abilities to make a difference.

And it was just a remote.

12. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Chewie's not calling Han out on something like that in front of complete strangers, no matter what his feelings on the matter.

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Perhaps a better question is why didn't Han believe in the Force? I don't know his exact age, but if Han were 30 in ANH, that would've made him 11 years old when the Jedi were exterminated and the Republic became the Empire. Surely, he would have heard about the Jedi and their abilities even if he hadn't seen them in person. The abilities of the Jedi were not something that seemed to be second-guessed in the PT. Even characters like Watto and Anakin out in the boonies of the Outer Rim where there is no Republic knew about Jedi powers.

In any case, it is a bit odd that Chewie didn't interject, but on the other hand, I don't always find myself trying to get involved in a debate with my friends when I know they are wrong. It's usually easier to just say OK and look the other way when there's no way you're going to win your argument anyway. It's also possible that Han and Chewie had already had that conversation, and Han simply didn't buy in to what Chewie said. After all, Han does seem more like a "see it to believe it" type guy.

Palpatine's P.A. likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Don't they have a Galactic Youtube?

Vthuil, Alpha-Red and darth ladnar like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Han is considered to be twenty eight in ANH. That said, he hadn't seen a Jedi. He had probably heard of them, but as we saw in TPM, not everyone got to meet a Jedi. This was when Rune asked Nute if he's ever encountered a Jedi before and he says no. Given that the Clone Wars were Jedi and Clonetroopers, with locals fighting alongside them, I'd wager that given Imperial spin afterwards, the Jedi's abilities were probably portrayed as exaggerated.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Maybe Chewbacca made fun of Jedis with their hokey religion and ancient weapons all the time that Han has known him. And Han is just going along with his friend.

17. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Very true. With the Jedi being active just 20 years before, it doesn't make sense for people to just not believe in the force by the time of ANH. I don't buy that the average person in the galaxy doesn't know about the Jedi and the Force just because they've never seen a Jedi in person.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Knowing is one thing. Seeing it for yourself is another. As Han said, it was simple tricks and nonsense. He couldn't believe that just using a laser sword to fight and defend yourself was a good idea. And considering how many Jedi were killed during the war and when Order 66 came down, there's every reason to think that the Jedi were highly exaggerated. Han's tune changed when this wet behind the ears kid, who had to be rescued twice, was able to fend on multiple attacks with said laser sword and make mincemeat out of Jabba's goons. Luke cleared out two skiffs full of human, Weequy and Nikto goons. Then saw him leap across the Sarlaac to the sailbarge and continue kicking ass.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Well, Chewie is playing "monster chess" versus R2 when Han mocks the Force on the Millenium Falcon, so he was preoccupied then.

Later, when Han is sarcastic on the Death Star, Han really isn't making fun of the Force. He's making fun of Kenobi, and like a lot of "people," Chewie is probably somewhat ageist and doubts the abilities of an old man like Kenobi. Plus, Kenobi is pretty over-confident. Just because Kenobi can use the Force doesn't mean he can necessarily slip his way through a gigantic battle station with probably 100,000 Storm Troopers and successfully turn off the tractor beam, and he seems pretty sure he can do just that.

So, really, I don't see a point in the film when Chewie would have a reason to defend the Force, and he may not want to argue with Han anyway.

Darkslayer and MOC Yak Face like this.
  20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    But even in the old days, what people "knew" about the Jedi seems to've had a lot of mythology and rumor, at least as much as the facts - like Anakin thinking that "NO ONE can kill a Jedi!" which is clearly not true. Once the Clone Wars and aftermath shatter a lot of people's image of the Jedi, then the Empire moves in and gives the disappointed people a new narrative to believe about them, and a lot of people latch onto that one.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Because back in 1977, ROTS hadn't been made yet and Lucas hadn't decided to needlessly shoehorn Chewbacca into it for a cameo with Yoda ;)

22. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Indeed, and the fans are left to pick up the pieces and try and shoehorn in explanations for this and all the other unnecessary inconsistencies the Prequel Trilogy created

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just don't think Chewie cares that much.

People can believe in the Force or not believe in it, who cares, he's got droid ass to kick in monster chess. Or he has to brush his fur or something.

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Same reason he's polite to Leia even after she coldly insults him by calling him a walking carpet. Either Chewie has a bad memory, can't understand Basic, or is simply a product of a cheesy "sci-fi" film full of inconsistencies and curious happenings.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

So, do you engage in religious discussions with people?