Why doesn't GL sell his story ideas?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by 4DM, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DM Jedi Youngling

star 1
    He's such a good story maker. In an interview I saw he said that he had so many stories that even if he had thirty years left it wouldn't be enough time. So why doesn't he just sell his stories for other people to make those films during this time? It would be such a waste if he didn't...
  2. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    From what I've seen, it seems like Lucas doesn't really like giving control of his works to other people. I can't really blame him though, because I'm the same way. If I've worked on a program or website or something, I hate having other people work on them afterwards, because they don't have the same understanding of everything, and they do things differently than I would have.
  3. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well that's not the way the industry works, kind of. He would still need to retain some control and at least be involved with as a producer. Projects take years to develop so many times it's not feasable.
  4. 4DM Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm just hoping Lucas reads this and provides the stories he can't make himself to other people. He's the man behind Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Willow. There is no better story maker in Hollywood at this time in my opinion. I'm sure the studios won't reject them.
  5. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree. Like at Stephen King. He has written how many novels? Maybe Lucas should write a synopsis for them all and let someone else adapt them under Lucasfilm, his company.
  6. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't follow how this is similar to Stephen King. Besides Lucas has licensed all hia major properties, all those Star Wars novels, all the Indy novels and of course the WIllow trilogy novels.
  7. PhotoGuitarist Jedi Knight

star 1
    I Don't Know, What if he has a Howard the Duck 2 Script in one of his books. Would anybody really buy it. ;^)
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    George never wrote Howard. He just produced it (financed it) as a favour to a friend.

Poor guy can't shake that film :(

9. PhotoGuitarist Jedi Knight

star 1
    WOW! Thank the Maker, I thought GL wrote that one!

Your right, GL just can't Shake em'
  10. qui-gon-kim Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't Lucas say that after Episode III, he would move on to directing other projects? I'm sure he will use these ideas for his future films.
  11. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    qui-gon-kim, yes Lucas did say that. I remember reading it in TIME just before AOTC was released.

And I understand why he wouldn't want to give sell his work. He would,after all, want control over each project.

A project is his baby. He'd want to be there throught the whole process. Lucas seems to be that kind of director/producer.

That's just my humble opinion, anyways. [face_blush]
  12. Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling

star 1
    lucas has way to much integrity to sell his story ideas, he would never put out an inferior product just for money
  13. QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling

star 5
    If there is money to be made Luca$ will be selling his stories in no time.Being an actual you know director doesn't pay him enough so he will pimp his stories.
  14. Cometgreen Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, you're really dedicated Queen_Leia.

And he could sell his stories for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but he hasn't. So I think that says something.

Cometgreen
  15. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess it depends how you interpret that. Licensing the property so that all those EU novelscan be written can be said to be at least be selling the basic premise. But the big distinction is that Lucas own ideas, he is not selling.

Besides he is the world's biggest independent producer and all those sort of efforts help finance his projects.

Besides he doesn't need to "pimp" stories or worry about his "directors salary". As the producer he gets a bigger cut, as well as the distribution deal he has with Fox, plus licensing is what really brings in the dough.
  16. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I look foward to seeing what Lucas has in store for us after Star Wars. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.