main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

why doesnt luke ever talk about his mother???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skywalkerchic, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalkerchic

skywalkerchic Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    why doesnt luke ever bring up his mother? he is clearly obcessed with his father and knew a little but his past (clone wars etc.) i wonder why they dont have luke bringing up his mother...he only asks leia in 6 if she remebers her mother and that is all!!! any thoughts?????

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Turn off the Caps

3. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004
    BiB~ you happy now????? I didnt imagine it was offensive STRANGE!

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Maybe he just doesn't care? More interested in the paternal side of his family.

5. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    He probably doesn't ask about his mother because no one ever brings her up. Obi-Wan brings up Anakin several times, prompting questions from Luke.

L8r

6. Dark_Hunter

Dark_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    Luke does talk about his mother, to Leia on Endor:

"I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

It seems the revelation that Vader was his father started him thinking of the mother he had never known, and now never would.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    (writing in all-caps looks like yelling, that's why it is.... uncomfortable to read ;))

Maybe Luke was told his mother didn't really do anything important or exciting. "Oh, your father met her and she died shortly after your birth. I don't know much else about it." The Lars' would probably have told him the same about Anakin, but Ben probably told more of him, so Luke one day would want to become a Jedi like his father, etc.
    maybe

8. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004
    good point twilekjedi!
    I just would have liked more indepth scenes with luke.

9. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    It mostly has to do with Lucas's intention of mirroring the mythical journey of the hero, and the meeting of the father figure which is often a component of many traditional myths. Come to think of it, there aren't that many myths where the same significance is placed on meeting the mother...none that I can think of, anyway. One of those quirks of human storytelling...

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    He seems to be a little bit obsessed with his dad in ANH.

11. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    ...because his mom was a cradle robbing, jedi groupie hoe that hit on little boys five years younger than her. :D

12. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    The focus has always been on AS. There was much more to lose if Luke became like him. Therefore, since Padme was already toast, presumably, mentioning her had no value. However, with Vader still alive, the fate of the universe, and jedi groupie hoes, hung in the balance.

13. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004
    HOW FUNNY!! hehehehehe
    well I dunno about all that but obviously he knew more about her and It had to be a lie. He didnt know she was a Queen obviously. Would have been cool to me if in ANH when luke asks about his father to OBIWON, they also mention his mother, since padme plays such a large role in the PT, that would make sense to me. WE dont know what will happen to padme if anything but soe refrence to her death would mean alot to me at that opint its almost liek she is forgotten in the OT, and if the PT and oT are to gel more together mentioning her in the OT would seem suitable to me (other than that scene with leia).

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Ah, but in the Padmé plays a big role for Anakin, not for Luke. Anakin plays a big role for Luke in the CT.

15. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    We all know he doesn't bring her up because Lucas didn't know what role she would play. But if you don't count on that then maybe the reason is not that he doesn't care but maybe he already knows something about her. Maybe Owen and Beru didn't lie to him about Padmé but like Obi Wan told Luke the truth about her from a certain point of view but without telling Luke she married Darth Vader. It is possible Beru told Luke about Padmé. But of course this is of course the problem with making the original first - this question as to why Padmé isn't mentioned will always be asked.

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I've always assumed that he doesn't talk about her because he doesn't know anything about her. ;)

17. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Did anyone find an answer for this?

Just curious if it was ever covered in a novel or EU?

clone3131

18. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Why didn't Luke bring up his mother? Well, until he knew Leia was his sister, how many people did he know that actually KNEW his mother? I'm pretty certain Luke didn't trust anything that came out of Obi-Wan's mouth after ESB, and Master Yoda 'just' trained him as a Jedi. Who else could he have asked about his mother? Han? Chewie? Make small talk with the Emperor? (Your mother? Yes, I remember her. We are quite safe from her meddling here.) After he found out Leia was his sister, what was the first thing he asked about? Mommy dearest. Not, hey, your my sis, and Vader's your daddy. It was, "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

19. Strider4700

Strider4700 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2004
    Tell me, if you found out that your father was an apparatus-breathing force-choking cyborg of doom who had the voice of a certain famous black actor, would you really want to know who your mother was?

I mean, if THAT was your daddy, imagine the possibilities of who your mommy was. Maybe an eight-eyed alien from Dimension X? Or a Vacuum Cleaner? Or maybe Rosie the Robot from The Jetsons? Or perhaps the Predator?

20. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

You guys are looking to far ahead...

Go back.

To A New Hope. Luke in OB1s hut.

They only talk about his father. No word about his mother.

"A young pupil of mine betrayed and murdered your father."

My response would of been. "Damn. What about mom?"

I was just wondering if it was ever written what anywhere about Padme.

[not that Padme was in GL mind when ANH came out...but whatever...]

21. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Hunter is right.

22. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Because A) There is no need for her to be talked about. B) GL never came up with a name for her until the PT.

23. QueenLeia

QueenLeia Jedi Youngling star 7

Aug 15, 2004
    "why doesnt luke ever bring up his mother?"

He doesn't remember her so there is really no attachment and therefore no reason to ever bring her up.

Had Luke had some father/son time with Vader, I'm sure he would have brought it up with him!

24. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Lightsabre: The focus has always been on AS.

Isn't that last word spelled with two S's?

Luke is mainly in company of other guys. It just isn't a guy thing to talk about yo'momma! :p

Maybe Owen and Beru told Luke his mother died when he was just a baby and that his father died in the Clone Wars.

Later, Obi-Wan tells Luke just how his dad died and that leads to, well, the rest.

25. Anakin_Skywalker314

Anakin_Skywalker314 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2004
    he never knew his mother... he doesnt really have a mother to talk about does he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.