main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't Mace Windu get more respect!!?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by THE_DOODE, Jul 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Mace looked very slow and unathletic in the film

Give Sam Jackson a break, he's like 50.

And Mace jumping from the balcony blocking blaster fire and avoiding the flamethrower is as impressive a maneuver as anyone has done in any of the films.

2. jedi_master_sauron

jedi_master_sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    the flip was off the hook. and i think that Sam is over 50 already. after all he is a bad mutha-

shut your mouth!

i'm just talking about MACE

3. 0Bl-WAN

0Bl-WAN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    If the character Mace Windu was played by another unknown actor, or even if he was a "masked" alien, would any of his big fans still tout him as highly? I like Sam Jackson, in fact "Jules" from Pulp Fiction is one of the best performances ever by an actor in my opinion. But SLJ's 'superfly TNT' persona doesn't translate well at all into what should be a Zen, calm inducing, Jedi Master among masters.

*arrogance* Mace Windu flippantly dismisses the ideas of others. He is wrong when he contradicts Padme regarding Count Dooku and Qui-Gon regarding Anakin. His behavior toward Qui-Gon is ridiculous. Qui-Gon Jinn is a contemporary of Mace Windu, they are both Jedi Masters. Yet due to his elevated status, he dismisses Qui-Gon's instinct almost immediately. ...and of course, he was wrong. I think someone who was a true Jedi Master as Qui-Gon was, would be heard on any topic of his choosing.

*arrogance* Mace's battlefield leadership is terrible. He led his Jedi force into a huge trap in order to save ONE Jedi (Obi-Wan.) A commander has to be prepared to sacrifice the good of the few for the good of the many. As it turns out, Mace traded 170 Jedi for Obi-Wan (he didn't even know Anakin and Padme were there.) I promise you, an action like that by a military leader would result in jail time. If it weren't for Yoda bringing the Clone Army, Mace, Padme, Obi-Wan, Anakin and all the other Jedi would have died too.

*arrogance* When confronting Count Dooku, Poggle, Jango etc on the ledge, Mace gravely over-estimated his ability to control the situation. He was removed from his threatening position almost immediately by droids. Then forced into the same trap as the rest of the Jedi by Jango.

George Lucas has not *accidentally* written Mace Windu into being arrogant. This is intentional and demonstrative of the flaws in the Jedi Order, and ultimately the reason why the Jedi Order must be destroyed and rebuilt. Obi-Wan is superior to Mace. Obi-Wan knows he "can't take Dooku alone." He admits his limitations, and that he may not have all the answers. That ability, is ultimately a strength of Obi-Wan's, and the reason why he is one of only two who survive.

4. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    obi-wan, these are all good points, and a good illustration of the arrogant part of mace's character.
    when i first saw his picture for tpm i was pissed to find that such a recognizable actor was in star wars, even playing opposite ewan macgregor at parts, despite the fact that he's one of my favorite hollywood actors.
    after watching it, though, i found his character to be well-played, arrogant, yet zen, thoughtful.
    after watching clones i'm convinced that he truly is the second baddest jedi in the galaxy! (and i don't think little orphan ani's the first)
    so who's to tell us we can't like someone who's got a few negative character traits?
    how many people consider vader their favorite, despite the fact that he walks around choking people without touching them?

5. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Because fanboys rather see alien Jedis with more screen time then a human! He's head of the Council and a better actor then plo,ki adi,kit, or any other mute actor with a mask!!!!!!!

6. 0Bl-WAN

0Bl-WAN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    This thread isn't about why people don't "like" Mace or why people don't think Mace is "cool." It's why he doesn't get respect. He doesn't really deserve much.

7. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Again OBI-WAN, kudos.

You nailed it.

It's too bad some people can't see past the eye-candy that is Mace.

8. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Star wars is eye candy !

I'm a hard core fan but it's just a movie and i think Mace had the coolest battle scenes and had a couple sweet lines in the movie...

It's not Sam or the Mace characters fault Lucas has a soft spot for them like he does.
    Ya he did some dumb stuff in AOTC but can you point out any jedi that didn't make a mistake in AOTC?
    I sounds too me all the Mace haters are huge Obiwan fans, yet Obiwan made his share of mistakes in AOTC...

9. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Hes not good with the Jedi role

10. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    and do you have a reason for saying that?

11. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    maybe to rile you up?
    mace windu is the man!
    the_doode, was it you who posted the rewrite of the shaft lyrics adjusted for mace?
    cuz you know...
    his lightsaber's the one that says bad mutha phunka on it.

12. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    I know i am the ultimate Mace fan or one of them but as Obiwan says " You must see it" !

MACE IS THE MAN!

13. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Obi-Wan is great but he's the one wearing a mullet. 8-}

Mace Windu is worthy of some respect by demonstrating his formidable abilities in the arena.

It's that lameo that got taken out with blaster bolts on the balcony that should worry about respect issues. :D

On a sidenote, the only thing that would have made the arena sequence even better would be giving some more screentime to the other Jedi masters (Shaak Ti as an example) and showing them kicking some @$$. Of course, AOTC puts the spotlight on Mace so it's going to be interesting to see what his role will be like in Episode III. (I just hope that he doesn't turn out to be a bad guy as has been suggested. I think it would be kinda dumb and distracting to the overall story)

14. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    Him going bad wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I think that by the end of the PT Mace will have everyones respect even though he should have it now!

15. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    if mace had fought dooku instead of ani and obi he would have kicked his sith-lovin butt all over the place.
    jango fought like a piece of chicken in the end, after the supreme butt-kicking he delivered to obi.

i can't wait for the new string of star wars inspired rap and hip-hop songs, in the vein of busta rhymes (woo ha!) pharcyde, tribe called quest (use the force like juan kenobi) and others. i'm sure at least some of them will feature mace windu.

16. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    I don't know... let's ask Jesse Jackson and see what his take on this is...

:D

17. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey i ain't black , i just dig the WINDU

18. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Doode,

Are you a Big Lebowski fan?

[image=http://members.aol.com/wprob/satisfied.gif]

The Doode abides man, the doode abides! ;)

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I think that is the essence of Mace Windu.

He is one of the heads of the Council. I am sure this is not an arbitrary assignment, just because he's such a badass.:)

He is an amazing swordsman (I think it's too bad Lucas cut his scene short after SO MUCH hype, but that has been discussed on numerous occasions).

He means well, he just doesn't get it.

It's been mentioned before, but Yoda isn't doing much better, and he's been around for 800+ years at this point. Yoda and Mace confide in each other; Yoda obviously considers Mace worthy of respect. As does Anakin; any single word of praise from him is worth 10,000 from anyone else.

Why the hell did Boba Fett get so much street cred? He died like a punk! (Just an example)

I think you are supposed to both admire and criticize Mace Windu. Like another user said, he, along with Ki-Adi Mundi, and, to a lesser extent, Yoda, represent the Jedi as a whole...I think that is perhaps one reason why no other Council members have any screen time: Lucas already says everything he wants to say about the bloated, well-meaning yet rigid Jedi Council in the 3 chief members.

Mace is not supposed to be Lancelot or Superman...more like...I dunno, Duddy Kravitz or something.:lol Anti-hero.

Yeah.

-dust

20. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    Not a bad post i know Mace and the council have done some less than brilliant things in AOTC but that's what the prequals are all about. Anakin's fall and the Jedi's fall.

Windu won't go down without a badass fight i'll tell you that!

21. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    Who let the Mace fanboys out?!

Anyway, Mace isn't all that great, he does seem to be a good fighter and all, but he makes too many knee-jerk decisions to fit the role of Jedi Council leader.

Although when they went to save Obi-Wan they had no idea what they were walking into, he still shoulda been careful.

22. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Mace got my respect, and I hardly like any of the Jedi. Now him killing Jango was cheap, but we all know that it was supposed to be a better & longer fight(remember the storyboards) so we can blame that on Lucas.

23. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    yes, yes we can Tricky

But then again he invented Mace

24. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I didnt know mace was lacking respect. So far, I think he is way overated. Yoda is the master and mace is 2nd. The film should have provided an example why mace is 2nd just like it did with yoda being 1st. He really didnt do anything in the arena or in the rest of the movie that was spectacular. I thought the jedi fighting in the background had better moves and saber skills. He looked somewhat uncoordinated with a lightsaber. I think sammy needs a martial arts stunt double with skills similar to Ray Park. Sammy can handle the close-ups and the acting but needs some serious sword-fighting lessons for epIII. I mostly blame GL for mace's lusterless scenes. After all GL really had me excited 3 years ago at the MTV awards when he said that he predicted that sam will win for best fight scene in ep2. I really felt let down about mace after AOTC.

25. THE_DOODE

Dec 3, 2001
    I didn't think he moved slowly , he is 50 years old...

The CGI Mace parts looked good !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.