main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't marvel use Gen-X characters?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Sabrajaguar, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    Synch,Jubilee, Skin, M, Husk, Chamber,

Bkacups: Gaia, Mondo, Cordilia Frost, Primal

Why Creat some of the most powerful and potential filled characters in the M-universe and have them either arbitrarily killed or fade into obscurity?

Jubilee: She has the potential to be the most powerful mutants ever. she hase the Ability to render herself invisible to telepaths, Generate bright plasma bursts, and use thoes bursts to detonate matter on the molecular level.

she can friggin vaporaize matter, just buy thinking about it(Her powers dont come from her hands she just uses hand motions for focusing). And she's on the side lines blinding people!

Synch: the greatest tragady in comics. He had a Biosychronistic aura. It Could in the begining preforme minor telekinetic feats( Sheilding, blasting, lifting (in the Novles)) and It could also Mimic then, full out copy the powers of any mutant within a city block radius.

I mean WTF Nice guy Bru'tha from da'hood! Potential for near Magneto level powers. He would have really been helpful for Eve Of destruction, or the Neo invasion, or just about anay crisis. And he gets offed by a bomb protecting bigoted students! I know Warren Ellis offed him for a reason but the series got cancled and his death became a waste, Bring his butt back!

Skin: He had a crappy power, 6 cubic feet of extra skin, he could control. And he knew he had a crapy power. But he made the most of it. Limited Shape shifting, "web slinging", Making it the texture of leather and forming a Cat o' Nine tails, or wrapping his fallanges into a tight leather ball and using it as a ball and chain. He took crap and used it to roll with the best of them. And he Died crucified by the Church of humanity

then had his body dug up by the cemetery he was buried at, and Cremated, cause he was a mutant. Jubilee should have fried that bastard.

The only respect they got was the Speach Polaris gave at "magento"s funeral. Chewing out the Charles and the world for their Humans first view of things.

M, Chamber, and Husk, have appaired in multiple X books, but it seems like writers don know what to dow with them.

Chamber finaly got real action (not the sleeping with Pop stars action) in Weapon-X but that book got cancled, and his Mission never resolved. One of the few Powerful non Summers psi's and he gets shafted.

Monet/M: well the Cat fight with Stacy X was fun, and having all the powers of the Kryptonians (Substituting laser sight for beta level telepathy) makes her great for the team. But with Emma, I guess they had 1 first class B uhh, Oppionated woman they dont need another. even though Sheb be great.

Husk, Damn Cannonball should kill Angle. She's 19 he's 33 min! Shes a supporting character in X-men. But if you saw her in AOA's Generation next, or Gen-X you know they really holding her back, Stone form, steel form, acid form, rubber form, this girl is the Swiss army Colossus!

Gaia: read Chamber, one of the Few non Summers super psi's. She's no Franklin Richards, but she probably could go toe to toe with Rachel Summers(In power if not technique)

Primal, fan fave, who could turn into a Lizard version of Beast

Mondo: Adoptive son of Black tom Cassidy, Omni- metamorph

Cordilla: While not as Bad as Adrianne Frost she Still make Emma's life very hard, when ever their paths cross.

I mean if your going to Circulate the team rosters, use the Characters you have instead of Making up new ones who Dissapare after a single stint.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I was a Generation X fan and I can tell you exactly why they don't use the characters. It all will unfortunately come back to the fact that Marvel is trying to cut back on its heroes.

Generation X was the replacement for the New Mutants when the New Mutants became X-Force. Gen-X never achieved the same popularity as the other titles though even with their own TV movie and when they did up the Xavier institute as a school both in the comics and the cartoon/movies, they used the original X-men which was the death kneel since Marvel sustains itself less by its comics than by its marketing.

I'll tell you how each lost their place though.

Jubilee: Jubilee unfortunately faded into the "Kitty Pryde" replacement role as the original Kitty's return more or less arbitrated her fading into obscurity.

Synch: Synch's death was largely an excuse for cheap drama, it was sad since he was the "Iceman" and one of the few normal individuals involved.

Skin: Skin died because of a desire to lessen the cast as well and make the "Friends of Humanity" PLUS offensive to God ripoffs more dangerous.

The only respect they got was the Speach Polaris gave at "magento"s funeral. Chewing out the Charles and the world for their Humans first view of things.

Mind talking some more about this one, I missed this issue.

M, Chamber, and Husk, have appaired in multiple X books, but it seems like writers don know what to dow with them.

Monet, Chamber, and Husk largely are distinctive and "cool" enough to have market appeal but sadly their stories are taken. Monet's "evil family" crisis is too obtuse to do anything but take away from the Summers problems, Chamber is BADASS but like X-man his "potential to be the most powerful mutant ever" was a story arc co-opted by Jean and originally for Sam Gutherie, Husk was supposed to fill the Southern Bell role but she's just fodder for teasing at this point.

Husk, Damn Cannonball should kill Angle. She's 19 he's 33 min! Shes a supporting character in X-men. But if you saw her in AOA's Generation next, or Gen-X you know they really holding her back, Stone form, steel form, acid form, rubber form, this girl is the Swiss army Colossus!

Cannonball isn't one to complain. He used to hang around with a mid-fifties old man in a creepy relationship that taught him Magneto's latest terrorist schemes were good for humanity and mutantkind relations.

Gaia: read Chamber, one of the Few non Summers super psi's. She's no Franklin Richards, but she probably could go toe to toe with Rachel Summers(In power if not technique)

General consensus is to tone down the Xes not power em up.

Primal, fan fave, who could turn into a Lizard version of Beast

Problem is, already a beast.

Mondo: Adoptive son of Black tom Cassidy, Omni- metamorph

See Siren for Black Tom relations.

3. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    The New Mutants were far better than Gen-X in my opinion.

4. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    <<The only respect they got was the Speach Polaris gave at "magento"s funeral. Chewing out the Charles and the world for their Humans first view of things.

Mind talking some more about this one, I missed this issue. >>

After "Magneto" Attacked and Flatend New York City killing 5000 people and Jean. Wolvarine Decapitated "Magneto"

After the "here comes tommorow" look at the future, Xaiver and Wolvarine go to Genosha to intern Mag's caracas. Wolvie, Nick Fury and just about everybody giving him greif the whole time.

Polaris Shows up with the Half brother and Sister, Wanda And Pietro. For a split second Pietro gets a bit miffed at the fact that Polaris is seen and Heir apparent, and the older Twins get nothing.

Polaris get pissed off t wolverine bad mouthing "daddy" And basicly says, How come 5,000 dead newyorkers is a Great massicare but 16 million Genoshans is Unfortunate or Collateral damage.

And How can Xaiver still defend a system that Created the Mega-sentinals, and makes big point that Humans were directly at fault for Killing Synch and Skin.

the Graphic novle is called "Brand new Mourning"

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i think eventually you'll see both Chamber and Jubilee getting the attention they deserve..

Right now, marvel did try giving Jubes her own ongoing series, but trying to make a comic that's accessible to young girls was just a HORRID decision. Wish i knew who came up with THAT.. It'll take Jubes a while to recover from this fiasco, but she will.. Eventually the right writer will come along and she'll get some props..

Chamber: Well, Joe Casey tried using him on his (imo underrated and unfairly trashed run) on Uncanny...

I'm sure someone else will try using him at some point...

6. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    wasn't Chamber in the Weapon X ongoing? i never read it, but i could have sworn that was the case.

in general, i was never a huge fan of Gen X, or much of anything from the mid-90s X-books. however, i think some of the characters would have promise if and when they were rehabbed by a competent writer. Jubilee was never worth much, but Chamber and M stand out as having a lot of potential.

however, that said, i think that the same could be said for a lot of second- and third-tier X-characters, and i think there are other characters which have more potential and need more face time. i would happily jettison virtually all of the X-books to turn the superb Madrox mini into an ongoing, for example.

7. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i would happily jettison virtually all of the X-books to turn the superb Madrox mini into an ongoing, for example.

Preach on, Brother Diz..

8. Sabrajaguar

Dec 22, 2001
    Madrox? Multipleman?

Last thing I read he was with X-corps (Coperation) in France. Helping the French recover, from Mystiqe's little stunt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.