Austin,TX Why doesn't Owen remember...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by neumera, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neumera Jedi Youngling

star 2
    C-3PO? Huh? He looks different, but his name is the same. What's up with that?
  2. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Is c-3PO his name or his model number?
  3. Tandeer Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Look at the number of droids he and his father must have purchased in all that time. I don't blame him for not remembering. After all, 3PO was only there a short time AND.... who's to say that Obi-Wan didn't do a little "mind-trick" with him and Beru to erase the true memories of Anakin and 3PO and replace them with the pilot in the Clone Wars story. *S*
  4. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Maybe the Men In Black showed up and used the "flashy thing" on them ;)
  5. neumera Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think that kind of "mind-trick" is only valid in the Star Trek universe :)

Seems like one would remember such a whiny droid.

6. Kimbote Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "I'm a visual director, not a literary one."

-George Lucas
  7. Ripster Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm reading AOTC now. Shmi put the gold plating on herself. and appently Owen loved his step mom a lot. 3P0 was a reminder of anakin for her. He meant a lot. I'd think that he remeber something custom finished by his beloved mom. And I think Obi-Wan would have to remind Owen of Anakin's visit in order for him too acept luke as a nephew. Maybe he did recognize 3P0 but didn't let it show in front of the Jawas because he didn't want them to jack the price up relizing he wanted it badly. And then later didn't tell luke becuase he didn't want luke to ask all the questions about his father and Grandmother.

~Sara
  8. Tandeer Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Interesting thoughts Sara has... *S*
  9. RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Could be right, for I've read the AOTC Novel. *worst book to my eyes, 26 dollars down the drain* Maybe it was one of the things GL overlooked, or maybe one of you guys are right.
    --Ashley
  10. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ok, bottom line is: In the film ANH, the biggest reason Owen doesn't remember 3PO is because GL had not made Episodes I-III yet. He had no idea that 3PO had any previous contact with him. Now it's bugging everyone because we see that he actually did have contact with Owen and we expect GL make/break the connection.

I really don't see a problem because there must be millions of droids in the universe that look and act just like 3PO. Hell, one of the fist things we see in TPM is a protocol droid. It would be like you or I saying "gosh, that Palm Pilot looks really familiar."

We see the droids as human characters with real personalities, but the characters in the SW universe see them as commodities. The best example of this is the way Han treats 3PO. Even look at the way Luke treats the droids at the beginning of ROTJ. He offers to trade them for Han. 3PO doesn't like the idea, but no one else seems to care.
  11. Darth_Homer02 Jedi Youngling

My .02 worth:

I think Owen does remember. When he, Beru, and Luke sit down for lunch, one of the things Luke says is he thinks the droids were stolen. And when he explains why, Owen gets a disturbed look on his face and tells Luke to take the droids for a memory dump first thing the next morning. I'm thinking that when he first sees 3PO, he figures 3PO has been thru some memory dumps by then like every other droid. So when Luke comes in and tells him about the droids, maybe he realizes that in fact they may not have and may now pose a danger to them, therefore giving Luke the task of taking them out the next morning for a memory dump.

Enrique
  12. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Owen and Beru are disturbed by the mention of Obi-Wan, not 3PO.
  13. Darth_Homer02 Jedi Youngling

But they still had to have known of the connection btwn 3PO, Anakin, OB1, and the Empire. Thats probably why they were as distubed as they were when Luke says that 3PO mentioned Obi Wan's name.
  14. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    C3PO is his model number and GL's explanation will be that Owen simply doesn't recognize him. I'm sure he thought of that ahead of time and it is why 3PO was wires in TPM and dirty gray in AOTC.

Now, whether he figures out who 3PO is after Luke mentions Obi-Wan . . . this is more likely, but obviously not written into the original script and can only be realized in our imaginations.
  15. Darth_Homer02 Jedi Youngling

16. BigChris Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Of course, in ANH, no ever tells Owen that the golden droid's number is C-3PO. Remember the next day, he is killed.

Big Chris
  17. Tandeer Jedi Youngling

star 3
    *loves the discussion and thinks it has some very valid points*

Doesns't 3-PO tell Owen his number when he goes to buy him and they are talking about speaking Botchi?
  18. neumera Jedi Youngling

star 2
    All I remember is
    Owen:"All right, shut up"
    C3PO: "Shutting up now"

I like DarthBarfs analogy to palm pilots. That may be the case. Then when Obi-Wan is mentioned it may all come rushing back to him and he orders a memory erase.
  19. Kimbote Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "All right, shut up"

That line is far funnier to me now as an adult than it was as a kid. Phil Brown's delivery just reeks of cranky old man in the heat of a desert. After the last few summers here in Texas, I know how the man feels.
  20. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yes, but at least on Tatooine it's a dry heat! ;)
  21. Kimbote Jedi Youngling

star 1
    <best Beavis impersonation>

Uhhhh, huh-huh ... Enrique said take the droids out to the back for a dump. Huh-huh!
  22. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Here's a whole hell of a lot of speculation for you:

At the end of AOTC, we see that R2 and 3PO are together with Anakin and Padme now. Maybe, just maybe Owen assumes 3PO is destroyed somehow. Maybe Padme is on a ship that explodes (when she dies . . . because she has to die in Episode III no matter what Chris and Enrique say) and Owen thinks 3PO is with her. Maybe he is with her and escapes (with R2) in an escape pod right before the ship explodes. Maybe she orders the pilot of her starship to kamakazi into the side of Anakin's ship. Wouldn't that be cool?!?!
  23. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Padme: "Goodbye Owen. I'm taking 3PO with me to ram into Anakin's ship. I won't be coming back because I'LL BE DEAD!!! Please take care of Luke for me."
  24. Darth_Homer02 Jedi Youngling

HA HA HA HA HA HA

I still say Padme lives.
  25. DarthBarf Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Dukoo: "She will die"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.