main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Doesn't QGJ Contact The Jedi For Help?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by gezvader28, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    "And Padme would clear all that up would she?"

But it doesn't take her 5 minutes to clean up all that garbage.

She's gonna be cleaning it up herself? Did the Senate issue her a pushbroom and trashcan-on-wheels?

"and how many people did you see starving? or are you now abandoning this theory of 'didn't see it-didn't happen'?"

You've been going by this theory too since you believe the Senate won't punish the Jedi just for being involved in the Naboo issue and for helping Qui-Gon and Obi-wan.

He asked you if you were abandoning your logic and you pretty much evaded his question completely.

"And how would this affect Padme from helping Shmi? Once the TF are defeated the Naboo aren't going to continue to starve."

But there's still a matter of economic setbacks because with the amount of damage left from the war with the Trade Feds and the cleanups, there's no telling how much money was lost.

What damage? Unless we see damage, there was no reason to believe any damage was done by the Trade Federation.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

the Jedi are NOT rulebreakers like Qui-Gon so they aren't going to stoop to his level no matter how grim the situation is.

"stoop to his level" ?!?
    The JC sent him on the mission!
    How can responding to a call for help from him now constitute "stooping to his level"?
    What are you talking about?

But they landed on an isolated landing platform, not in front of the Galactic Senate Chamber where hundreads of senators are located.

But according to you QG's involvement is "insurrection", so why is he even risking being seen ? Plus - Valorum is there too. None of this supports your idea that QG's mission is the dangerous act of insurrection which would have the Jedi dismantled.

Don't you watch army movies like "Behind Enemy Lines, Rambo, Predator, Saving Private Ryan, etc."? Every operation involves a military unit going to foreign countries even at the risk of not having any back up. Every time they call for help, they're told that they are on their own because noone wants to go through enemy lines.

The last 3 movies you mention all involve rescuing people from behind enemy lines.

Naboo is the enemy lines and once Sidious told the Trade Feds to kill the Jedi, then it became a war.

They're on TATOOINE. Not Naboo. And there's no war with Tatooine.

Since it is the Senate that organized the secret missions and hires the Jedi for these missions.

You've a strange idea of 'secret' if you think the senate organises it, there are hundreds (thousands?) of people in the senate, if they organised the mission it wouldn't be a secret.

I've been answering your question a million times but you still refuse to listen. If your friends called you for help and you decided to go help them despite that your boss tells you not to, then you risk losing your job by defying his authority

And if it's a secret mission then when QG calls up asking for assistance the JC are not going to run and tell the senate about it.
    So I'll ask again:
    how does contacting the the JC for help=losing the senate's trust?

Plus - you've failed to show that what the Jedi are doing is insurrection, they were asked to do it by the Supreme Chancellor.

g

3. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    "Also it is said in TPM that the Jedi arrived to 'force a settlement'. Why would the senate be against this? How do you know that the senate didn't authorize Valorum to send the Jedi? After all, it was the then Senator Palpatine who requested that the Jedi be sent on behalf of Queen Amidala (remember the hologram where palpatine addresses the queen and says that he had assurances from the chancellor that the Jedi 'ambassadors' did arrive)."

I retract all of the above. I forgot that the Jedi were sent secretly as the opening crawl stated. Ooops!

[face_blush]

4. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    PMT, as has been pointed out, secret does not equal illegal. Does the U.S. government "declare martial law" on the CIA every time they send out an operative? Of course not.

Not only that, but if the secret's so devastating, why is everyone so lax about it? Senator Palpatine and Amidala are aware of it (and fine with it, at least on the surface in Palpatine's case), the Neimodians don't bother to do anything with it, the Jedi make a point of advertising it?"We're ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor," Qui-Gon announces to anyone within earshot, and Valorum meets his supposedly super-secret ambassadors in person, on open ground.

You have no grounds?none?for assuming that the Jedi are doing anything illegal here, and the film contradicts that assumption every step of the way.

5. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Darth Geist-"PMT, as has been pointed out, secret does not equal illegal.

Just because nobody knows about anything DOESN'T make it legal. Even the Nemoidians would agree with that since they know that if the Senate found out about their actions on Naboo, they would get in trouble and lose their trade francise. Nobody is above the law and we don't get a free pass to do what we want at the expense of the government's lack of knowledge because we still have laws that will be uphold and if it gets broken, that person will pay the consequences and that also applies to the Jedi since they take orders from the Senate.

"Not only that, but if the secret's so devastating, why is everyone so lax about it? Senator Palpatine and Amidala are aware of it (and fine with it, at least on the surface in Palpatine's past), the Neimodoians don't bother to do anything with it, the Jedi make a point of advertising it-"We're ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor," Qui-Gon announces to anyone within earshot, and Valorum meets his supposedly super-secret ambassadors in person, on open ground."

First off, Palpatine and Amidala are involved in this matter so that doesn't mean they're lax about it, the Nemoidians aren't going to tell anyone knowing they'll risk exposing their occupation on Naboo, just because Amidala and her staff know that the ambassadors are Jedi doesn't mean the Senate does, and Valorum meets his "ambassadors" on a landing platform that's far, far away from the Senate Chamber.

"You have no grounds-none-for assuming that the Jedi are doing anything illegal here, and the film contradicts that assumption every step of the way."

The fact that the Jedi's involvement was a secret to the Senate is what makes it illegal and my grounds have been posted above.

Loco for Lucas-"She's gonna be cleaning it up herself?"

That's not what I mean.

The amount of time it takes for Padme and her people to clean up all the battledroid garbage and remodel some of the damages could last almost a year.

"He asked you if you were abandoning your logic and you pretty much evaded his question completely."

I haven't evaded his question because I'm only saying that we don't know whether or not the people of Naboo were dying so my logic is irrelevent.

"What damage? Unless we see damage, there is no reason to believe any damage was done by the Trade Federation."

The battle of Naboo created alot of damage that was caused by the Trade Feds' being on Naboo.

Gezvader 28-
    " "stoop to his level" ?!?
    The JC sent him on the mission!
    How can responding to a call for help from him now constitute "stooping to his level"?"

The fact that Qui-Gon's call for help can be traced by anyone, even the Senate, is what makes the Council's response as "stooping to QG's level" because, as I've told you a million times, they know that the Senate didn't authorize the Jedi to be involved and the Jedi will be punished for helping Qui-Gon because they defied the Senate's authority.

"But according to you QG's involvement is "insurrection", so why is he even risking being seen? Plus - Valorum is there too. None of this supports your idea that QG's mission is the dangerous act of insurrection which would have the Jedi dismantled."

First off, how else is Qui-Gon suppose to get Padme to Coruscant and just because Valorum was there to greet them doesn't mean the entire Senate was there too. The fact that the opening scroll stated that Qui-Gon's involvement is a secret is what makes it a dangerous act of insurrection.

"The last 3 movies you mention all involve rescuing people from behind enemy lines."

Only because it took the Generals by the end of the movie to realise that their soldier's lives are important since they didn't give a crap about them earlier.

"They're on TATOOINE. Not Naboo. And there's no war with Tatooine."

But their calls for help could be traced and they couldn't risk letting that happen.

"You've a strange idea of 'secret' if you think the senate organises it, there are hundreads

6. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    I'll keep it short, PMT. Simple yes or no question:

Does the Senate declare martial law on the CIA every time they send out an operative without telling them?

You assume that "secret" equals "illegal," but your argument is built on sand; it's all conjecture, and all you have to back it up with is more conjecture.

Simply put: You're making it up. You might as well admit that.

7. DARTH-FURBABY

Apr 9, 2004
    "as I've told you a million times, they know that the Senate didn't authorize the Jedi to be involved and the Jedi will be punished for helping Qui-Gon because they defied the Senate's authority."

"First off, how else is Qui-Gon suppose to get Padme to Coruscant..."

'"We're ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor," Qui-Gon announces to anyone within earshot, and Valorum meets his supposedly super-secret ambassadors in person, on open ground.'

I still am of the opinion that if the JC refused to obey the the chancellors command to send the Jedi to Naboo that this would have been insubordination, not the fact that they actually went, after all,isn't the chancellor the head of the senate? If the chancellors order was illegal, that would make the chancellor liable, not the JC.

If the Jedi were doing something illegal, why would they be so eager to return to Coruscant so the queen could address the senate and they the JC? I would think that if they were doing something illegal, that would make the Jedi outlaws and they would be forced to go into hiding i.e. remaining on Tatooine and obviously this wasn't the case.

8. Darth_Sub-rosa

Darth_Sub-rosa Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2004
    There has been some good thoughts in this discussion. I think it has been established that the following reasons given to defend Qui-Gon's decision do not stand up to reasonable scrutiny of the plot:

the legality of the mission and

the fear of being traced

I think trying to answer this thread's question by way of plot is a backwards approach. The question is about Qui-Gon and his decision. From a character point-of-view, focusing on Qui-Gon's actions and decisions makes more sense to explain why he chose to not call for help.

So why didn't Qui-Gon call for help? He's not afraid to ask help from a clumsy amphibian. He's not afraid to look for help from a desert boy. Why can't he just call the Council for help? From what TPM reveals about Qui-Gon's character, he is not too full of himself to ask for assistance when he needs it. It's not the fact that he asks for assistance that is important, but where he asks for it.

TPM portrays Qui-Gon as very self-determined and not afraid to buck the system to do what he believes is right. I don't think it comes down to pure pride as the reason why Qui-Gon doesn't contact the Council. Instead, it seems like he would like to exhaust all his options before doing so. In TPM Qui-Gon just has that calm, things will work out / a solution will present itself sort of mentality. He looks for help in places that do not appear so obvious. Qui-Gon is an underdog and a champ for the underdogs. He may not always be right and his morals may be sketchy at times, but he at least gets out there and believes in people. He doesn't believe in the ivory-tower approach. Obi-Wan tells him that if he would get along with the Council he could be on it. But I think it's clear Qui-Gon doesn't want to be on it. That's not his style.

So, it seems that Qui-Gon chooses to exhaust his most immediate options and look for help from the common people rather than the Jedi. It's neat to see that Obi-Wan does not pick up on this in TPM-"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?" But by AOTC, he seems to have learned a thing or two from his old mentor-Obi-Wan goes to Dexter for help, and gets it.

On a side note, the one thing that Qui-Gon says that I've always had a hard time reconciling with is when he tells Anakin's mother that he didn't exactly come to Tatooine to free slaves. It's seems out-of-character, odd, or something. He didn't go to Naboo save the life of a banished amphibian either. But he did. Maybe he's a little upset at the time from Shmi's claims of virgin birth, but still. Strange. Anyways, that's not totally in line with this topic unless I'm missing some apsect about Qui-Gon's character. But I think that Qui-Gon's character is the answer to the question posed by this thread. It's in Qui-Gon's character to look for help and realize the potential in people from his surroundings and not always the Jedi. Remember one of the first things we hear Qui-Gon tell Obi-Wan. "Keep your concentration, here and now." Here and now. You don't always have to look off far for the solution. It can be found here and now. Qui-Gon is by no means flawless. And maybe he should have put his eccentricities aside for a moment so as not to endanger the Queen or the mission. But the fact is, he chose to put his trust in unlikely places and in unlikely people for a solution. Is it a flaw? Or is it the way a Jedi should act? That is the question being posed I think.

9. DARTH-FURBABY

Apr 9, 2004
    Nice post Sub-rosa!! About the best I've seen on this topic!

=D=

10. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Count me in that one as well. Nice post DSR. :cool:

11. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    "Does the Senate declare martial law on the CIA every time they send out an operative without telling them?"

Unless the CIA withholds information from the US government, then no, the gov't won't declare martial law on the CIA. Sure, The government allows the CIA complete liberty to do what they want without telling them but that doesn't mean that the CIA can't withold information from the gov't.

"You assume that "secret" equals "illegal," but your argument is built on sand; it's all conjecture, and all you have to back it up with is more conjecture.

Simply put: You're making it up. You might as well admit that."

That's BS and you know it.

By your logic, we can rob all the gold bullion from Fort Knox and not get in trouble for it all because nobody knows about it.

Darth Furbaby-"I still am of the opinion that if the JC refused to obey the the chancellors command to send the Jedi to Naboo that this would have been insubordination, not the fact that they actually went, after all, isn't the chancellor the the head of the senate? If the chancellors order was illegal, that would make the chancellor liable, not the JC."

True, but the Jedi Council aided and abetted in Valorum's plan so that would make them liable too.

"If the Jedi were doing something illegal, why would they be so eager to return to Coruscant so the queen could address the senate and they the JC?"

They were out of options.

It was either go to Coruscant even at the risk of being caught or stay on Tatooine because the lives of the Naboo residents were at stake.

12. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    Unless the CIA withholds information from the US government, then no, the gov't won't declare martial law on the CIA. Sure, The government allows the CIA complete liberty to do what they want without telling them but that doesn't mean that the CIA can't withold information from the gov't.

Leaving aside what I'll assume is a typo ("that doesn't mean that the CIA can't withhold information from the gov't" would mean "that does mean that the CIA can withhold information from the gov't"), you don't seem to know how US intelligence operates.

Do you think the CIA broadcasts everything they do, or even a sizable fraction of it, to the entire government? Of course not. What information they do give out only reaches your ears if (1) you have the proper security clearance, and (2) they decide you need to know.

Intelligence agencies can keep their work secret only because they operate independently. If everything they did showed up on C-SPAN, they'd be comepletely toothless. ("All in favor of planting field agent Bob Jones in Qadafi's office?")

By your logic, we can rob all the gold bullion from Fort Knox and not get in trouble for it all because nobody knows about it.

What? [face_laugh]

Seriously, what are you talking about? How exactly would no one miss all the gold in Fort Knox? [Refrains from the obligatory Battlefield Earth reference]

Breaking the law would be, by definition, illegal; whether anyone knows you did it is a separate issue. But where in the films did the Jedi break the law? I'm not talking about some law you made up; I'm talking about a law that actually discussed in the films.

Whether in real life or in SW, there's no law that equates operating in secret with operating illegally.

One more thing: If it were illegal?if Valorum sent the Jedi an illegal order?then Palpatine would have the perfect chance to use that against him. Yet it never comes up once; wonder why?

13. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    First off, how else is Qui-Gon suppose to get Padme to Coruscant and just because Valorum was there to greet them doesn't mean the entire Senate was there too.

If their mission was an act of insurrection, as you say, then why would they even risk being seen ? They'd land in a hangar and get out seperately. No, your logic doesn't make sense.

The fact that the opening scroll stated that Qui-Gon's involvement is a secret is what makes it a dangerous act of insurrection.

No, it makes it a secret mission, that's all. The CIA and other government agencies go on secret missions all the time, they don't get announced in the Senate.

Only because it took the Generals by the end of the movie to realise that their soldier's lives are important since they didn't give a crap about them earlier.

And that's how you see the JC? Well...

As I've told Darth Furbaby, the Supreme Chancellor gets his power from the Senate so he can't do anything without their approval and the fact that Valorum sent Qui-Gon and Obi-wan in secret is what makes their actions a form of insurrection

Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    1. Do you think the Jedi can go on secret missions or not?
    2. How can these missions be a secret if the entire senate know about it?

Sure, The government allows the CIA complete liberty to do what they want without telling them but that doesn't mean that the CIA can't withold information from the gov't.

:confused: eh?

If this mission was an act of insurrection then the Nemoidians would know this (they're represented in the senate) and when QG arrives they'd just tell him to get lost or else they'll be telling the senate about this Jedi act of insurrection.

No, your ideas make no sense.
    The Jedi obviously have the liberty to go on missions at their discretion, they don't have to announce each one in the Senate. If they want to go and fight in a war then obviously they have to get senate approval, but their mission to Naboo was as negotiators.
    When they end up on Tatooine they are trying to help a 'Head of State' get back to the Senate, there's no insurrection.

g

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I just wanted to stop in and offer congrats to Sub-rosa for one of the best posts in a while on this thread.

As for g, and the others, good job continuing to hammer away at the practiced illogic of the opposing view. I have considered jumping in from time to time, but you guys have got this one more than well in hand.

15. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    then Palpatine would have the perfect chance to use that against him. Yet it never comes up once; wonder why?

As Darth Sidious or as Palpatine? ;)

16. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Darth Geist-"Leaving aside what I assume is a typo ("that doesn't mean that the CIA can't withhold information from the gov't" would mean "that does mean the CIA can withhold information from the gov't"), you don't seem to know how US intelligence operates.

I know enough about US intelligence to know that should a crisis like the 9/11 attacks occured, the gov't (as well as the President) would need to know everything and what intelligeance agencies like the CIA knows. One more thing, what I said about the CIA not withholding information from the gov't does NOT mean that they can.

"Intelligence agencies can keep their work secret only because they operate independently. If everything they did showed up on C-SPAN, they'd be comepletelt toothless. ("All in favor of planting field agent Bob Jones in Qadafi's office?")"

But if a crisis situation occured, it would be imperative for the CIA to reveal what they know to the gov't because if they don't, we would have more tragedies similar to 9/11 plaquing our country and the gov't would fail to do anything about it all because the CIA never told them anything.

"Seriously. what are you talking about? How exactly would no one miss all the gold in Fort Knox?"

Watch "Die Hard with a Vengeance".

The film shows us how Jeremy Irons' character was able to rob all the Gold bullion. He tricked the entire New York police department into thinking that he planted a bomb in a school and that had them all going through every school in the New York area leaving him free to stash all the gold and hop on a boat to Canada.

"Breaking the law would be, by definition, illegal; whether anyone knows you did it is a seperate issue."

Not when the police have the evidence and the witnessess to prove that you did it. They have ways of figuring out who did the crime and how they did it so they will make the person do the time once they get caught.

"But where in the films did the Jedi break the law? I'm not talking about some law you made up; I'm talking about a law that actually discussed in the films."

The Jedi's secret mission in TPM is an obstruction of justice simply because they are secretly posing as Valorum's ambassadors to settle the Trade routes dispute but that only complicated matters even further when the Trade Feds tried to kill Qui-Gon and Obi-wan forcing them to retrieve Amidala and her crew so they could return to Coruscant. It's also a conspiracy because Valorum recruited the 2 Jedi in secret without telling the Senate and finally, the Jedi would also be found guilty by association because they aided in Valorum's plan.

"Whether in real life or in SW, there's no law that equates operating in secret with operating illegally."

Unless you're in a foreign country.

"One more thing: If it were illegal-if Valorum sent the Jedi an illegal order-then Palpatine would have the perfect chance to use that against him. Yet it never comes up once; wonder why?"

Because Palpatine was involved in this conspiracy and he wasn't going to get in trouble for it so he had to find another way to get Valorum ousted and having Amidala call for a vote of "no confidence" was the best solution.

Gezvader28-If their mission was an act of insurrection, as you say, then why would they even risk being seen?" They'd land in a hangar and get out seperately. No, your logic doesn't make sense."

I've already answered that...the Jedi were out of options because they don't want to stay on Tatooine nor do they want the suffering on Naboo to continue so they had no choice but to return to Coruscant so Padme can plead her case to the Senate.

"No, it makes it a secret mission, that's all. The CIA and other government agencies go on secret missions all the time, they don't get announced in the Senate."

Not even when a crisis is occuring? I don't think so. The gov't authorizes every agency such as the CIA to go on secret missions and the Republic does the same with the Jedi.

"And that's how you see the JC? Well...."

No, that's how I see the Sena

17. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    But the fact that Qui-Gon told Obi-wan that it was too dangerous to call for help shows that this is an insurrection simply because their radio transmissions can be traced by anyone, not just the Trade Feds but the Senate as well.

If it's that dangerous then why bother even taking Padme back to Coruscant? They ran the risk of being seen with the Queen, what if they asked her how she got there? They might as well have stayed in exile on Tatooine.

18. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    PMT, the last time this came up, you insisted that no one in the Senate knew anything about Naboo, even the blockade. This time, because your argument depends on them knowing everything and caring enough to do something about it, you're suddenly insisting that they're treating Naboo as a crisis on the scale of 9/11. Now, leaving aside the fact that they're clearly not (the film goes out of its way to establish that the Senate only knows about the blockade, and that they wouldn't lift a finger to stop the invasion even if they had their proof), you're making this up as you go, and you're not even consistent about it.

If you want to make up your own movie, and made radical changes to it on a whim, that's your business; just don't confuse it with what's actually on the screen.

By the way, before you talk about intelligence agencies, international law, police procedures or Fort Knox, please, please do a little research.

19. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    >>>Gezvader28-If their mission was an act of insurrection, as you say, then why would they even risk being seen?" They'd land in a hangar and get out seperately. No, your logic doesn't make sense."

PMT - I've already answered that...the Jedi were out of options because they don't want to stay on Tatooine nor do they want the suffering on Naboo to continue so they had no choice but to return to Coruscant so Padme can plead her case to the Senate.<<<<

Okay, look at the exchange above.
    Notice how you've completely missed the point of what I'm saying.
    I'm not talking about their decision to return to Coruscant I'm talking about the manner of their arrival.
    So I'll say it again, this time emphasising the key points :

If their mission was an act of insurrection, as you say, then why would they even risk being seen? They'd land in a hangar and get out seperately. No, your logic doesn't make sense."

The Jedi Council would be more willing to help Qui-Gon and Obi-wan if this weren't a secret mission but as it is, once a person is on this particular mission, they are on their own.

They're not on a secret mission at that point, they're trying to get the Queen to Coruscant, the Jedi would not leave them stranded there if they knew.

>>>gez - "Let me ask you a couple of questions:
    1. Do yo think the Jedi can go on secret missions or not?
    2. How can these missions be a secret if the entire senate know about it?"

PMT - 1. If the Senate approves of it then yes because the Jedi are servants to the Republic. They are not their bosses.
    2. The senate organized these missions because their intelligence agencies tell them what's going on.<<<

How can the mission be secret if the entire Senate (which comprises hundreds, thousands of people) know about it??

gez - "If this mission was an act of insurrection then the Nemoidians would know this (they're represented in the Senate) and when QG arrives they'd just tell him to get lost or else they'll be telling the senate about this Jedi act of insurrection."

PMT - But this particular move would backfire on them because the Nemoidians would risk exposing their illegal operation on Naboo by having the Senate ask them how they know that the Jedi were committing insurrection.

Once again you've missed the point of what I'm saying (wonder why ;) ) .
    When QG arrives they aren't doing anything illegal, so I'll say again:

If this mission was an act of insurrection then the Nemoidians would know this (they're represented in the Senate) and when QG arrives they'd just tell him to get lost or else they'll be telling the senate about this Jedi act of insurrection."

But the fact that Qui-Gon told Obi-wan that it was too dangerous to call for help shows that this is an insurrection simply because their radio transmissions can be traced by anyone, not just the Trade Feds but the Senate as well.

No it shows that he's worried that the Nemoidians will trace it, there's no evidence that he's worried that the Sentate will hear it and dismantle the Jedi for insurrection, and at this point he's not even on a secret mission, he's helping a 'Head of State' get back to Coruscant.

Think about this - according to you their mission is an act of insurrection, so QG knows this, the JC know this and yet they go ahead knowing that if the Nemoidians tell the Senate (and they would) the JC will be dismantled.

Do you seriously think that makes any sense?

g

20. PMT99

Nov 23, 2000
    Loco for Lucas-"If it's that dangerous then why bother even taking back to Coruscant?"

They had no choice because there were lives at stake.

"They ran the risk of being seen with the Queen, what if they asked her how she got there?"

Padme came to Coruscant on her own personal ship, not on a Jedi-owned spaceship so she will tell them exactly that.

Darth Geist-"the last time this came up, you insisted that no one in the Senate knew anything about the Naboo, even the blockade. This time, because your argument depends on them knowing everything and caring enough to do something about it, you're suddenly insisting that they're treating Naboo as a crisis on the scale of 9/11. Now, leaving aside the fact that they're clearly not (the film goes out of its way to establish that the Senate only knows about the blockade, and that they wouldn't lift a finger to stop the invasion even if they had their proof), you're making this up as you go, and you're not even consistent about it."

First of all, you're making things up as well because you keep insisting that our goverment shouldn't know anything about what goes on in our country or in other countries which is preposterous because by your logic, then every terrorist regime would be launching nuclear missles on America and our government wouldn't do anything about it until it's too late. Second, I'm not saying that the Republic is treating Naboo as a crisis, I'm saying that if they knew what was going on in Naboo, then they would be quick to send the Jedi to settle the conflict instead of continuing their pointless debates forcing Valorum to send the Jedi in private.

"By the way, before you talk about intelligeance agencies, international law, police procedures or Fort Knox, please, please do a little reasearch."

I could say the same thing to you.

Gezvader28-
    "Okay, look at the exchange above.
    Notice how you've completely missed the point of what I'm saying.
    I'm not talking about their decision to return to Coruscant I'm talking about the manner of their arrival.
    So I'll say it again, this time emphasising the key points:

If their mission was an act of insurrection, as you say, then why would they even risk being seen? They'd land in a hanger and get out seperately. No, your logic doesn't make sense."

The safety of the Naboo people outweighs their services to the Republic. That is why they took the risk and for your information, they were on a landing platform that's far, far away from the galactic senate chamber.

"They're not on a secret mission at that point, they're trying to get the Queen to Coruscant, the Jedi would not leave them stranded there if they knew."

Qui-Gon: It's too dangerous to call for help.

Qui-Gon couldn't contact the Jedi for help even if he wanted to.

"How can the mission be secret if the entire Senate (which comprises hundreads, thousands of people) know about it???"

The Chancellor will tell them the plan of action just as Palpatine told them his when he suggested that an army for the republic be assembled "to counter the increasing threats of the Seperatists".

"Once again you've missed the point of what I'm saying (wonder why ;) )"

I didn't miss your point, you've just ignored mine.

"When QG arrives they aren't doing anything illegal, so I'll say again:

If this mission was an act of insurrection then the Nemoidians would know this (they're represented in the Senate) and when QG arrives they'd just tell him to get lost or else they'll be telling the senate about this Jedi act of insurrection."

Let me repeat my answer, this time I will clarify:

If the Nemoidians tell the Senate about the Jedi's involvement in the Naboo situation, the Senate will ask them to prove it. If the Nemoidians offer the Senate their proof, then they automatically expose their illegal operation on Naboo because it will show the Nemoidians deploying their droid armies in an attempt to invade Naboo and take control of it.

This stunt will backfi

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002

The safety of the Naboo people outweighs their services to the Republic. That is why they took the risk and for your information, they were on a landing platform that's far, far away from the galactic senate chamber.

You've pretty much nullified your entire point right there.

22. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    For your information, they were on a landing platform that's far, far away from the galactic senate chamber.

Yet the reach the senators' apartments in a short taxi trip. After meeting in plain sight, surrounded by witnesses. PMT, the vast conspiracy your argument depends on has no basis outside of your own head.

As far as your fervent belief that intelligence agencies should broadcast whatever they're doing to whoever can hear them, come back when you've learned the meaning of the terms "security clearance" and "need-to-know."

And if you somehow believe that the Senate would have launched into action as soon as it had some proof of the invasion, you were watching the wrong movie. Probably that one in your head again?which might be the most awesome movie ever, for all the rest of us know, but it's not the one on the screen.

23. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I don't think QGJ felt he needed to contact the Jedi.

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Seeing as how the interim stuff since the first post appears to be a lot of yelling back and forth, I'll just post my thoughts on the original question.

When QG and Co. land on Tatooine I'd always assumed that they couldn't contact the Jedi because it was out of range or something.
    But according to the novel, P.104, he decides not to risk it because their position might be traced.

I know that a common line when people bring up stuff from the novel is "People shouldn't have to read the novel to understand the movie". So I think it's odd that the novel can be used to find plot holes, but fine.

Simple answer: I'd say from what the movie shows us, the novel got it wrong. We know that from a Jedi Starfighter that's just been in a fight signals from Geonosis (less than a parsec away from Tatooine) can reach Naboo no problem, but still have trouble reaching Coruscant. Thus, the Queen's ship that's just been in a fight, while able to receive Sio Bibble's message from Naboo, doesn't have the signal strength to get Coruscant.

If we take the novel into account, however:

it seems to me it would've been more sensible to contact the Jedi, then assuming they'd been traced, take off and land somewhere else on Tatooine, wait until the Jedi arrived close to Tatooine and contact them with their specific location.

Even with the trace they use, Maul can't track them down exactly. The best he can do is find the right planet ("Tatooine is sparsely populated"), and he gets them anyway. So going to another spot on Tatooine wouldn't do much good, since the trace wouldn't be that accurate anyway. They'd still be on the same planet they were detected from, and they would be found just as easily.

And lest someone say "But how would they know Maul would be able to find them?", remember, Maul uses a trace and probe droids, both of which any really good bounty hunter could use (and at least one of which they already expect the TF to have). Basically, if we accept from the novel that they were worried about a trace, and since even the really good traces (since I'd think Maul would use the best) can only narrow it down to the planet (now that I think about it, Obi-Wan uses the same sort of thing in AOTC when finding Anakin), moving around on the planet wouldn't do them much good.

25. DARTH-FURBABY

Apr 9, 2004
    Getting back the the question of why QGJ doesn't contact the Jedi for help: both QGJ and OB1 both warn the queen, et al, not to make any transmissions (not even back to their own planet let alone to Corescant) as it might alert their enemies, the Nemoidians and Darth Maul (QGJ felt a disturbance in the Force) to where they are and they feared attack while trying to repair the ship. It goes back to the idea of Qui-gon relying on his own resources and what can be found on the planet they were now on.

[face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.