main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't Star Wars get the same respect as before or do you disagree?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ksid, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    It is indeed my honest opinion.

What is BOHD?

2. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    ....I'll take the Battle of Geonosis, anyday, over BOHD

Uh, Darth_Sprocket, have you seen TTT? In the B.O. thread you were asking people what it was like. Seems silly to make a judgement about something if you haven't seen it.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, he couldn't have possibly seen it between the time he posted the two comments. [face_plain]

4. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Why do people upset of the prequel trilogy just because it wasn't exactly how they thought it would be? Why can't people just accept it for what it is?

Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame
    How we break each other's hearts,
    and cause each other pain

5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Well, they were within a half hour of each other. I'm not trying to accuse him of anything; just curious if I misunderstood soemthing. He may have seen it before making either comment and was just looking for opinions before giving his own.

Just wondering if the above was an informed opinion or based on trailers or maybe franchise loyalty. Any one of these is legit, just curious what context to put it in.

For the record (and to get back on topic)I probably won't see TTT till after the holidays, but even if I like it more than FOTR, or even AOTC, I don't see how it could make SW less respectable.

6. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Aotc and TTT are both great movies. TTT will get more respect because of Fellowship.

Aotc will get less respect because of Phantom.

I bet the box office will be huge for TWO TOWERS. Why, it is a good movie and people loved Fellowship.

AOTC didn't do as well as people thought on opening week because I feel people where showing their dissapointment in Phantom.

It's like if a sports team wins the championship, the next season the house is packed. If a team sux, the next year nobody will come watch. Even if the team is good, they must once again prove itself.

For that reason, I believe you will see great crowds at Ep.3. Most really like Clones and will reward Ep.3's opening weekend.

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    BOHD = Battle of Helms Deep, ksid.

I do think the critical lashing delivered to Phantom affected Clones' Box Office. Hopefully, the much more positive attention given to Clones overall will help out Episode 3.

8. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    Oh dear. This thread has turned into another 'Lord of the Rings is better than Star Wars' thread.

I believe you will see great crowds at Ep.3. Most really like Clones and will reward Ep.3's opening weekend.

I hope that people stay away from Episode III. Then I'll be able to go and watch the film in peace, without idiotic audiences spoiling my enjoyment.

9. Yodaman_Obiwanknbi

Yodaman_Obiwanknbi Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2002
    take a look at some of the new movies, like Spiderman, Lord of the Rings. They are all new ideas. Star Wars is old, but, it still does catch a lot of attention. It made millions in the first weekend, so it does get the same respect. Though "Attack of the Clones" has ruined Star Wars. It has taken on the impression of a love story, and nobody likes love stories, sure it has great grapics, cool ships and characters, but the love in it has ruined the plot.

10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Take a look at this 3,633 post, 73 page thread: Padme & Anakin Love Story Defense in the Miscellaneous Forum

Saying nobody like's love stories is simply not true ;)

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Whoa Yodaman_Obiwanknbi, that's some pretty impressive generalization there.

No-one likes love stories? I guess that explains the massive critical success of that gung-ho war epic, Titanic.

12. DINVADER26

DINVADER26 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    We live in an era where effects no longer awe us like they did in 1970s and early 80s, we've seen about everything. Today's 8 year old kid isn't awed by effects like an 8 year old would have been in 1977. Today's young ones see them (effects)all the time.

Think about it, if the OT had really sub-par non groundbreaking effects for their time, would they have become the hits they are? NO WAY.

THIS is my RETURN POST after a nearly 7 month hiatus. I used to be a frequent poster. I was once know a plain DINVADER, I left because I got sick of reading endless bashing of SW in these forums, I have now returned. Hopefully I won't get so upset and leave this time.

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Uh...yodaman both Spiderman and LOTR have love stories.

14. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    VFX don't wow kids anymore because of the advent of computers and video games.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's video games were new and fresh and home computers were not around.

Now kids have video games at home that are more powerful than the arcade games of the 70's and 80's. Kids are more dissensitized to issues of the real-world now. Its a more liberal society.

SW is too conservative and doesn't cater to the cool/hip pop culture of today.

What we thought was cool when we were kids in the 70's isn't even given a second glance today by kids.

15. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    AOTC didn't do as well as people thought on opening week because I feel people where showing their dissapointment in Phantom.

And yet it's still selling out Imax theaters six months after its theatrical run and after its DVD release. Obviously folks weren't all that disappointed.

16. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    "And yet it's still selling out Imax theaters six months after its theatrical run and after its DVD release. Obviously folks weren't all that disappointed."

Well, explain why TTT made 100 million dollars opening weekend and Clones only made 80.

80 is a lot but doesn't compare to spiderman and Two Towers.

I feel most didn't care to see a repeat of Phantom and critical backlash hurt.

What is your thoughts?

17. DINVADER26

Nov 28, 2001
    Actually, the well established "Cinemascore", (cinemascore.com) the company that does mass theater exit polling counts the real movie goers, not elitest critics. People gave both TPM & AOTC an A 0r A- average, not too shabby!
    Some people say this is skewed because it is opening weekend consensus polling, well I ask these people, do critics almost always base their review on their first viewing? Yes!

Remember, critics see and review almost all movies, the public flocks to movies that appeal to them & they are most likely to like. Hence the critics almost never agree with the public.

Guybrush, AOTC grossed 110 million dollars (In 4 days) from Thursday thru Sun. It grossed 80 million of that from Fri thru Sun that weekend with heavier summer movie competition. TTT did 101 million (in 5 days), 61 million from FRI thru SUN. Not too shabby either.

18. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Sequels almost invariably do less business than their predecessors. And Attack Of The Clones is, in fact, the fifth movie to be released in a 25 year old franchise, so the fact that it did only 20% less business than the second film of a brand new franchise would seem to indicate that Star Wars is still wildly popular.

Also, the drop off from Phantom to Clones is less than the drop off from A New Hope to Empire, and yet I don't see anybody running around saying that Empire was a disappointment.

19. DINVADER26

Nov 28, 2001
    Heck when you adjust films today for inflation, almost none of them do the numbers of the pre-VCR home video market age. Many people today don't bother going to the movies knowing any movie will be available on tape or DVD in a few short months. We have so many more entertainment options these days compared to 20 plus years ago. Even in 1983, only about 7 percent of the public owned VCRs. (I looked this up on an online VCR timeline)

20. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    "Also, the drop off from Phantom to Clones is less than the drop off from A New Hope to Empire, and yet I don't see anybody running around saying that Empire was a disappointment."

What was the drop off from Fellowship to Two Towers in opening week?

I was wrong Two Towers made 60 over 3 days. I had heard 100 first, I guess I read it wrong.

21. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Sequels almost invariably do less business than their predecessors. And Attack Of The Clones is, in fact, the fifth movie to be released in a 25 year old franchise, so the fact that it did only 20% less business than the second film of a brand new franchise would seem to indicate that Star Wars is still wildly popular.

Also, the drop off from Phantom to Clones is less than the drop off from A New Hope to Empire, and yet I don't see anybody running around saying that Empire was a disappointment.
    Correct.

And those people in the media who love setting up these artificial, Us-Versus-Them animuses betwixt Star Wars and Lord of the Rings always tend to forget that this last SW installment is a component of a series that has been ongoing across TWENTY-FIVE KRELLING YEARS, and that the box-office dropoff for most Hollywood "franchise" films diminish hugely around the second or third installments.

Law of diminishing returns. Except...it doesn't seem to be applying in Star Wars's case, as a mere twenty per cent downturn is NOTHING to sniff at. Let's just see what the second- and third-weekend grosses are for Spider-Man 3...most likely, audiences will be so filled with groaning, eye-rolling ennui after the second movie that it'll all seem too rote by the time the third one inevitably hits.

22. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    "Sequels almost invariably do less business than their predecessors. And Attack Of The Clones is, in fact, the fifth movie to be released in a 25 year old franchise, so the fact that it did only 20% less business than the second film of a brand new franchise would seem to indicate that Star Wars is still wildly popular. "

How much did Two Towers decrease over Fellowship the first week?

23. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "How much did Two Towers decrease over Fellowship the first week?"

Sequels do more in the first weekend then their orignal.

TTT- $61+ mill
    FOTR-$47+ mill

AOTC-$80+ mill
    TPM-$64+ mill

What matters is what sequels do in the long run.

FOTR-$314+ mill
    TTT-?????? my estiamte is around $280-$300 mill.

TPM-$431+ mill
    AOTC-$310+ mill(that's counting IMAX release)

24. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    TTT's 101 million gross is about a 33% increase over FOTR's 75 million opening week.

25. too onebee

too onebee Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 1999
    In my opinion... my sincere opinion... it was twho things...
    FIRST: the hype, as stated in the early posts
    Second: The Internet. Thanks to it we know about every single movie buzzing around, we know it´s plot and its pictures, its biggest spoilers and most of the pics took on set!!! That´s why I will stay spoiler free for episode III! I just hope I can!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.