main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Why doesn't Star Wars launch careers?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by dolphin, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    None of the actors in Star Wars have had their careers launched or restarted due to their involvement in Star Wars. In fact, it either has minimal effect (Portman) or mark the beginning of a career slide (Billy Dee). Each of the six films have been among the most successful of all-time. Why didn't this translate into mainstream success for the actors involved?

I know, I know, the elephant in the room is Harrison Ford. Even Harrison admits that it was Raiders propelled his career and even that came about due to his relationship with Lucas and Tom Selleck dropping out. In an interview from 1980 that appears on the Indiana Jones Blu-ray set, he says that he didn’t get the kind of scripts he had hoped for until Raiders of the Lost Ark came along.

Is Star Wars so niche that it automatically typecasts Carrie or Mark or Hugh Quarshie (Who? Exactly my point)?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Science fiction/fantasy is the Rodney Dangerfield of film. It gets no respect.

Mr. K likes this.
  3. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    well Portman seems to be doing very well for herself

Mark is THE joker to many people (myself included) and has done many other great voice work

Carrie Fisher has had success as a scriptwriter//doctor, even through all her struggles

Ian McDiarmid is successful in theatre as is Kenny Baker

I think they've all done well for themselves in their careers

besides most A list celebrities are overrated and quite simply some cannot act.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In addition the actors that attend conventions like Comic Con seem to attract quite a few fans - even the ones who had smaller/bit parts in the films. That can't be bad.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    People have to consider, that some of the actors have chosen different career paths after their Star Wars experiences and are quite content where they are with no regrets. Take Mark for example, he is one of the most considerate and grateful people you will ever meet, and he readily admits that most of his success was the result of SW and its fans.

6. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    Baz and LAJ make good points too :)

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    In the cases of the Sirs they had most of their career prior to SW. Yet even following it both did fine. Peter largely returned to television work and also focused on painting. Chris has music work, had another hit with LotR and is a talented writer. Just because we don't see them on the screen all the time doesn't mean SW is a blight in their history or that those involved aren't successful.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In addition some actors gained international recognition - before AOTC, who outside of Australia/New Zealand had heard of Temuera Morrison (Jango), Leeanna Walsman (Zam) or Rena Owen (Taun We)?

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I explored Susie Porter's and Claudia Karvan's filmographies because of Attack of the Clones. I always think of Joel Edgerton as Uncle Owen and his career has been going nicely in recent years. While Hayden Christensen and some others aren't major stars, I don't know of any tragic former cast members other than Carrie Fisher and she is still doing well. It's not like she is distancing herself from the franchise or not being asked to participate.

10. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Christopher Lee is doing great, but that guy is immortal so it doesn't count. [face_laugh]

Sarge likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    What ever did become of Hayden Christensen's career anyway?

12. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    The Star Wars saga isn't... y'know... exactly known for the quality of its acting. For all the strengths of the films, their written dialogue and direction just don't seem to consistently eke out great performances.

Plus, keep in mind that GL tended to emphasize fresh faces over proven talent, so it's not surprising that SW was the highlight of most acting careers.

Hopefully JJ & co. will be better able to cast actors that have both novelty and staying power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.