Why doesn't the JC implement a curse-filter?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Master

star 4
    I've seen other boards with them! All it would have to do would be to either not allow users to post bad words or just asterix them out. It'd stop idiots like me from posting bad words by mistake and then getting banned for them.
  2. jedi-mind-trick VIP

star 5
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but instead of us bothering snoboards and zerosleep for yet another feature, why don't you just be more concious of your posting habits? The JC should not have to inact special filters to keep you from getting banned. If you would like to stay unbanned, I think you should honestly take some more responsibility when you post and don't break rules that you are obviously well aware of.

Just my humble opinion. :)
  3. Redundancy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Zerosleep no longer works for Snowboards. We do not have access to the raw code that is used to make these boards run. Zerosleep only does updates on a contractual basis, and IGN/Snowboards has to request the features. Therefore, until IGN/Snowboards agrees that a curse-filter would be great, we have to live without one.

Redundancy - ******* ******* **
    King of Everything Redundant
  4. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    Ditto.

Wait, that's redundant! 8-}
  5. Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Master

star 4
    Never mind, I'll just take this to IGN Boards. They hire ZeroSleep once every month or two to update/play around with the boards.
  6. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

EDIT: Actually, that was overly-harsh to my IGN brotheren. ;)

7. ElfStar Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd say IGN has more pressing concerns than a curse-filter. Tell zerosleep to code an idiocy-filter over there.

Wouldn't it be easier just erase the whole board? The effect would be the same.
  8. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    plus, dosen't that edit out other 4 letter words too, on accident?
  9. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    accidents? there are accidents using 4 letter curse words? I didn't know that. I always thought we are responsible for what our fingers type. :D
  10. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Besides, we still want you to be able to talk about Dick Vitale and Roosters that go Cock-A-Doodle-Doo.
  11. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    no! Like if you were to type 'tree', it would edit it out because its four letters. The filters that I'm familiar with edit out all 4 letter words.
  12. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

No, they only edit out predetermined words.

13. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And even then there are ways to avoid the filters.

Reliance on filters isnt a good thing. Let people be responsible.
  14. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Sometimes, the filters only look for a specified group of letters. These filters make mistakes, and "assassinate" becomes "******inate". Usually, though, they only erase the specified words. But no matter what, there is always a way to get around the filter.

I've never heard of any filter that gets rid of all four letter words. That is just stupid. It would change my post here to the following:

Sometimes, the filters **** **** for a specified group of letters. These filters **** mistakes, and "assassinate" becomes "******inate". Usually, though, **** **** erase the specified words. But no matter ****, there is always a way to get around the filter.

I've never heard of any filter **** **** rid of all **** letter words. That is **** stupid. It would change my **** **** to the following:
  15. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree reliance on filters isn't a good idea, but if it makes life a little easier on the mods, it's a good idea.

As long as the mods don't stop looking for the curses, i think it's a good idea

¤Night
  16. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But if they are still scanning for curses, then it really isnt helping them out that much?

I would imagine its the vigilance that is more time consuming than the actual editing.
  17. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Why the **** would we need a curse-filter?

// banned

Rick McCallum loves you!
  18. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    We had one but then he got married.
  19. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    Still, it would be hard to beat users like me that take every opportunity to embed subliminal swear words in their posts.

[face_devil]
  20. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  21. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Jediguy, master of subtlety. :p
  22. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Didn't we have a curse filter a long time ago?

I just remember how much of a pain it was in Fan Fic, where you'd write a sentence like...

"Luke looked up and sniggered."

only to have it turn out like.

"Luke looked up and s*****ed"

It was an absolute pain!

Kithera
  23. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Master

star 4
    No we could have it filter out words if they're by themselves. Like if tree were a bad word we'd have to filter do "tree," not street. I'll take this up with Board Issues over at IGN and get back to you guys soon.

edit: removed subtlety ;)
  25. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ultimately, I think curse filtering is a bad idea. They accomplish nothing. If someone flames you, filter or not, you'll know what they said and it won't stop that, but the bad part is they could always say "I didn't say that, how do you know that's what I said?. That would get ridiculous IMO.

Secondly, I think it's okay to curse in FanFic stuff and it really should always be. A filter would prevent that, and I see no reason why. If you want Luke to say:

"Awwww damn it all! I pooped my pants again Biggs!"

Then by golly, he should! My HoJo group had more cursing than was probably appropriate, but it doesn't hurt anybody so what's the big deal?

Thirdly, this is a message board and it is open to free expression. Cursing is a just such an expression and is found everywhere. It's really just toe-headed cousin to modern slang and if you aren't using it to hurt somebody, then I see no reason why you can't use it. Even the movies this board exists because of has cursing in it and we should have it here too within reason. I mean, think the big daddy curse words are unacceptable but within reason, I think it's open for use.

To sum it all up:
    No curse filtering! IMO, if you must use it, use it sparingly, directed at nobody and stay away from the big no-no words.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.