main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why doesn't vader sense the Force in Leia

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tadhg_kenobi, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tadhg_kenobi

tadhg_kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    In ANH, Vader comes face to face with Leia and yet he doesn't sense anything? Have I missed something?? He does sense that Luke is his son in ESB, so why not Leia?

2. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Vader does not sense that Luke is his son in ESB, he finds out through militairy intelligence...

3. tadhg_kenobi

May 30, 2005
    I don't remember that! Where does that happen?

4. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Between ANH and ESB... :p

5. tadhg_kenobi

May 30, 2005
    I mean correct me if I'm wrong but in ANH when luke is making his run on the Death Star and Vader is following behind in his Tie fighter, Vader says " the force is strong in this one" And yet he has Leia captured earlier in the film and is questioning her face to face and he never senses a thing? Am I missing something?

6. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Maybe he senses a little in Leia, maybe not, but what does it matter?

Why would Vader think that Leia is his daughter, when he believes that his offspring died with Padmé?

7. tadhg_kenobi

May 30, 2005
    No! I know he wouldn't know she was his Daughter, I just thought he'd sense the force in her! I assume if it was as strong as Luke's, well then he'd notice!! I wont loose sleep over it, but it's always annoyed me.

8. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    recap:

The Jedi are believed to be extinct in the OT era, but that doesn't mean there are no more Force potentials.

Maybe Vader sensed the Force in the princess from Alderaan, but she wasn't a threat, because she was in his custody, and he thought nothing of it.

Vader sensed the Force in the rebel pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and he was a threat at large, so Vader decided to track him, and as a side-effect he found out that it was his son.

I guess the real question is: Why didn't Luke change his last name? ;)

9. Boba-Frapp

Boba-Frapp Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Leia was not aware she was so strong with the force. Vader sensed the force in Luke because he was using the force to help him aim at the exaust port on the death star. Vader never sensed the force in Leia because she had not more force in her than any other living thing, neither did Luke until Obi-Wan started to instruct him.

10. tadhg_kenobi

May 30, 2005
    yeah that makes more sense. Thank you

11. PhantomJawa

PhantomJawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    there must be literally millions of people and beings walking around with force potential in the OT. Leia being just one. None are trained in the Jedi Arts though by that time. Should Vader have slayed every potential he came across? He'd be a busy Sith.

Luke differed as he'd had guidance and a little training from Obi Wan, and Vader noticed that much in the Death Star trench.

Having said all that, "her resistance to the mind probe is considerable" is an interesting line.

Hmmm.

12. angrytapes

angrytapes Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    because she wasnt his daughter til return of the jedi.

13. Master_Scottie

Master_Scottie Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    Leia never used the force in ANH. Luke was using the force when trying to destroy the death star.

14. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    You're right, PhantomJawa. It is an interesting line, and I hadn't thought of it in quite that way.

I assume the majority of sentient beings in the galaxy would have had some untrained Force in them. After all, most Jedi didn't have any children (was Anakin the only exception, I wonder?), yet there were apparently plenty of candidates for Jedihood until Anakin turned to the Dark Side.

15. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    As some seem to suggest, the force did NOT make it possible for him to detect his children, it only allowed him to detect other force users.

Leia was NOT a force user and was not trained to use the force, therefore her force sensitivity would cause virtually no disturbance and no reason for Vader to be concerned.

Luke, on the other hand, caused a disturbance in the force because he was actively USING the force. The more powerful he became, the more of a disturbance he caused. In the DS trench, Vader was detecting a 'force user' NOT Luke. Later, between ANH and ESB, Vader soon discovered that this force user destroyed the DS and that his name was Luke Skywalker. What were the odds? With all the various resources Vader had at his disposal it would not have been to difficult for him to discover Luke was actually his son.

Profile:
    Luke Skywalker

Homeworld:
    Tatooine

Foster Parents:
    Owen and Beru Lars (deceased)
    *Killed by Empire for harboring rebel droids that were carrying the stolen plans to the DS.

16. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    Well her resistance to the mind probe was considerable but that doesn't make her a force user, just not weak minded. He is in direct combat with luke in the trenches of the death star and is struggling to lock him in. Luke's reflexes and evasive abilities were strong. The force was being used by luke at that point, obi wan was even reminding him to use it. So he felt it, then found out who he was and became very interested.

17. Anacondabug

Anacondabug Jedi Master

May 20, 2005
    I believe that Vader senses the force in Luke first since of course Luke was in tune with the force and was actually a little trained by Obi Wan to use it. Using the lightsaber and using the force to guide him in blocking the blasts from the sphere while aboard the falcon might have risen his attuning to such power. Whereas Leia probably has never had any tuning or anything of the sort to the force for her level was very very little next to nothing to sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.