main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Why dont all Droids speak Basic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PadawanGussin, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    One thing that has bugged me a bit over the years -

Why very highly advanced AI units like R2D2 would not have a Language program installed to better communicate with organics ?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    R2 units are astrodroids. They are designed to receive commands and interact with the ship they are assigned/placed in, not with people. Besides, it would be boring. R2 is meant to be the family dog. You don't understand what he's saying, but you know it. It's part of what makes his character and respective interactions unique.

3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I agree... it was a characterization decision. We can apply some handwavium so it makes some "sense" in-universe, but it was done primarily to build R2's character.

theraphos likes this.
  4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I guess bocce or what else the droids use to communicate is a much more sophisticated language than most others spoken in the GFFA.

If there is no need to speak to organics, like for protocol droids, i guess they only use their own languages.

5. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Another possible explanation is that Basic may not be as universal a language as we assume when you account for all the thousands of majority-alien planets in the galaxy, each of which likely has its own local tongue. So maybe it was considered more feasible to have one universal "droid language" that all astromechs would share, regardless of where or for whom they are being produced.

PadawanGussin likes this.